Gracie Breakdown: The death of Eric Garner

caposa - 

Well I hope the Gracie's feel like assholes now. Probably not.

Why apologize when you can keep using any publicized event that's even tangentially related to submission grappling to promote GJJ?

Wonder how long this will stay up:

If they have any common decency they'll remove the video entirely.

Next up:

The Gracie Breakdown of the death of David Carradine.

I would love to see their take on Waco.

Madrugadao - http://i.imgur.com/6lxJUyk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Pu7VG0y.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lmVKrNd.jpg

Medical Examiner rules Eric Garners Death a Homicide
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/08/01/medical-examiner-rules-eric-garners-death-a-homicide/

Ouch. Maybe BJJ accumen and grainy video speculation doesnt actually substitute for actual scientific examination.. Phone Post 3.0

Wtf, people who receive money from the police department for teaching people how to choke people are siding with police who choked some one to death?

No. Fucking. Way.

That would mean they are about the money and their business and not about teaching everyone the greatest martial art in the world, which you can learn by purchasing their DVD's, enrolling in their gracie jiu jitsu program, watching their long monetized youtube videos and purchasing other "gracie" brand products and memorabilia.

Of course they don't think it was the choke. If they said it was, the law enforcement program would have to try to distance themselves from jiu jitsu and cut their training program.

To all the people blaming the guys weight as the cause of his death, you are right. If people weren't so damned crippled, or old, or out of shape, or so damn female, those people could defend themselves properly in a 6 v 1 fight. I mean if you aren't prepared to get dogpiled on and choked to death then maybe you should think twice before you decide to eat so much food.

God Bless 'Murica. The land of Justice (but not if you are overweight, and not if the perpetrators are police) and Liberty (but not if you are black) and Freedom ( but not if that freedom gets in the way of the profits of a large corporate lobby, like the tobacco industry).

AishOyyy - Medical Examiner rules Eric Garners Death a Homicide
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/08/01/medical-examiner-rules-eric-garners-death-a-homicide/

Ouch. Maybe BJJ accumen and grainy video speculation doesnt actually substitute for actual scientific examination.. Phone Post 3.0
Good, fuck these 2 trying to cash in on every story that has violence in it. No respect for the VICTIM's family making this video before the medical examiner makes his statement. Phone Post 3.0

As someone who was born and raised on Staten Island, let me say that I find it hardly surprising that something like this happened there.

StephenLangdown -
Madrugadao - Jesus Christ. Didn't watch but maybe stick to breaking down fights. Not sure a BJJ blackbelt qualifies you to comment on things like this. Somewhat whorish.
I agree with this :/ Phone Post 3.0
Word Phone Post 3.0

hooha - 
JoeHurley - 
hooha - 
ramaham - 
hooha - He wasn't a threat, he wasn't unruly.

This was manslaughter because of racist, irresponsible cops working in a racist, irresponsible system.

Read up on the story folks and if you have a heart, you'll feel for this man and his family that just lost a husband and dad for NOTHING.
They'd have done the same to a big white or Latino too...

Really don't see the race card here, just over abuse of power Phone Post 3.0

You don't see the race issue here? Do they have "stop and frisk" in white communities? Do you have a constant police presence in most white communities? Do white people regularly get stopped by police, questioned, pulled over in their cars?

You don't see the race issue because you're obviously not a visible minority and that's not your daily reality. Whether it's a story like this, the Trayvon Martin case or Katrina, there's ample evidence of racist behaviour/policies and the abuse of power by police towards black/hispanic communities.

But at least you're right that they would have done it to a Latino person too!

The police killed Trayvon Martin?

No, but they let George Zimmerman go home that same night despite having just killed a 14 year-old black kid.

Can you imagine that working the other way around?

Trayvon was 12, didn't you see the pics?

AssAssassin - Wtf, people who receive money from the police department for teaching people how to choke people are siding with police who choked some one to death?

No. Fucking. Way.

That would mean they are about the money and their business and not about teaching everyone the greatest martial art in the world, which you can learn by purchasing their DVD's, enrolling in their gracie jiu jitsu program, watching their long monetized youtube videos and purchasing other "gracie" brand products and memorabilia.

Of course they don't think it was the choke. If they said it was, the law enforcement program would have to try to distance themselves from jiu jitsu and cut their training program.

To all the people blaming the guys weight as the cause of his death, you are right. If people weren't so damned crippled, or old, or out of shape, or so damn female, those people could defend themselves properly in a 6 v 1 fight. I mean if you aren't prepared to get dogpiled on and choked to death then maybe you should think twice before you decide to eat so much food.

God Bless 'Murica. The land of Justice (but not if you are overweight, and not if the perpetrators are police) and Liberty (but not if you are black) and Freedom ( but not if that freedom gets in the way of the profits of a large corporate lobby, like the tobacco industry).

Chokes are banned by the police in NYC. Part of the reason cops club people is that's their only option.

MrZipplokk -

Overweight an had a heart attack.  Thats my breakdown.

Gotta VU brother Zipp! Phone Post 3.0

pcuzz - 
hooha - 
JoeHurley - 
hooha - 
ramaham - 

This was manslaughter because of racist, irresponsible cops working in a racist, irresponsible system.

Read up on the story folks and if you have a heart, you'll feel for this man and his family that just lost a husband and dad for NOTHING.

You don't see the race issue here? Do they have "stop and frisk" in white communities? Do you have a constant police presence in most white communities? Do white people regularly get stopped by police, questioned, pulled over in their cars?

You don't see the race issue because you're obviously not a visible minority and that's not your daily reality. Whether it's a story like this, the Trayvon Martin case or Katrina, there's ample evidence of racist behaviour/policies and the abuse of power by police towards black/hispanic communities.

No, but they let George Zimmerman go home that same night despite having just killed a 14 year-old black kid.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic pcuzz, but someone's already pointed out that T. Martin was 17 and I've already apologized for writing that he was 14.

What does it matter though? 12, 14, 17... the whole Zimmerman/Martin case clearly demonstrates how the system (cops/court/gov't) discriminates against blacks and other visible minorities.

What's amazing is how many of you here on the UG fail to see that and what's more, so many of you just write blatantly racist stuff all the time - against blacks, hispanics, arabs, muslims/jews, etc. - just real ignorant, hateful, unsubstantiated comments all the time, it's fugging sickening.

YET, you all follow a sport filled with people/fighting styles from all over the world, from different cultural and religious backgrounds - you'd think there'd be more tolerance, love, understanding, appreciation... but NOPE! Just a ton of idiots (and thankfully some intelligent, informed folks too)...

Nitecrawler - "What does it matter though? 12, 14, 17... the whole Zimmerman/Martin case clearly demonstrates how the system (cops/court/gov't) discriminates against blacks and other visible minorities. "

There are cases where minorities don't get a fair shake. The Trayvon/Zimmerman case was not one of them.

The physical evidence as well as eyewitness testimony were enough to cause doubt. In a case where there is doubt, the person walks, just the way the system is.

Again, that was not a perversion of justice, that was a good defense team, coupled with enough strange circumstances to culminate in the charges not fitting what the prosecution was seeking. Nothing more nothing less.

Also the Trayvon case was anything but a racial issue, but that didn't stop the media from whipping people into a frenzy thinking it was. Much like what will happen with this case. Phone Post 3.0

Nitecrawler - like I asked someone else earlier in this thread- do you think an adult black male would get to go home that same night after shooting dead a 17-yr old, unarmed white kid?

Your comment "the Trayvon case was anything but a racial issue" is just so out there, I don't even know what to say. And clearly, by implying that this case with Eric Garner also has nothing to do with race, you are not someone that has any understanding at all as to what it's like to be a visible minority (esp. black or hispanic or arab) in North America. You are blind to history and blind to context, like most people here on the UG (and pretty much everywhere else too, dammit).

GayGuardMooseSaucy - 
AishOyyy - Medical Examiner rules Eric Garners Death a Homicide

Good, fuck these 2 trying to cash in on every story that has violence in it. No respect for the VICTIM's family making this video before the medical examiner makes his statement. Phone Post 3.0

Total carny tactics.

hooha - 
Nitecrawler - "What does it matter though? 12, 14, 17... the whole Zimmerman/Martin case clearly demonstrates how the system (cops/court/gov't) discriminates against blacks and other visible minorities. "

There are cases where minorities don't get a fair shake. The Trayvon/Zimmerman case was not one of them.

The physical evidence as well as eyewitness testimony were enough to cause doubt. In a case where there is doubt, the person walks, just the way the system is.

Again, that was not a perversion of justice, that was a good defense team, coupled with enough strange circumstances to culminate in the charges not fitting what the prosecution was seeking. Nothing more nothing less.

Also the Trayvon case was anything but a racial issue, but that didn't stop the media from whipping people into a frenzy thinking it was. Much like what will happen with this case. Phone Post 3.0

Nitecrawler - like I asked someone else earlier in this thread- do you think an adult black male would get to go home that same night after shooting dead a 17-yr old, unarmed white kid?

Your comment "the Trayvon case was anything but a racial issue" is just so out there, I don't even know what to say. And clearly, by implying that this case with Eric Garner also has nothing to do with race, you are not someone that has any understanding at all as to what it's like to be a visible minority (esp. black or hispanic or arab) in North America. You are blind to history and blind to context, like most people here on the UG (and pretty much everywhere else too, dammit).

"Your comment "the Trayvon case was anything but a racial issue" is just so out there, I don't even know what to say."

He was correct, now that all the facts are out we know the only reason race was in the mix on this was because the media hyped it up and made it about race.

hooha - 
pcuzz - 
hooha - 
JoeHurley - 
hooha - 
ramaham - 

Not sure if you're being sarcastic pcuzz, but someone's already pointed out that T. Martin was 17 and I've already apologized for writing that he was 14.

What does it matter though? 12, 14, 17... the whole Zimmerman/Martin case clearly demonstrates how the system (cops/court/gov't) discriminates against blacks and other visible minorities.

What's amazing is how many of you here on the UG fail to see that and what's more, so many of you just write blatantly racist stuff all the time - against blacks, hispanics, arabs, muslims/jews, etc. - just real ignorant, hateful, unsubstantiated comments all the time, it's fugging sickening.

YET, you all follow a sport filled with people/fighting styles from all over the world, from different cultural and religious backgrounds - you'd think there'd be more tolerance, love, understanding, appreciation... but NOPE! Just a ton of idiots (and thankfully some intelligent, informed folks too)...

I was being sarcastic, the media mislead the public from the star by trying to set a false narrative. There was no injustice for any minority in the Zimmerman/Martin case. Zimmerman being a minority got justice altho the system tried its best to railroad him.

pcuzz, it took a month and a half and nationwide protests to get the police to arrest Zimmerman; never would have happened if a black adult man shot a white, unarmed teenager to death. Even with 'stand your ground'!

That's before the media, before the court case, before the acquittal. The system made sure it protected Zimmerman, not railroad him.

In any case, I won't keep debating it, think what you want, it's your business.

Maybe the Gracies will make a video about it and we'll all understand it better...

ttt for later