Grappled with a newbie last night

then wrestler that did it after that has "no technique."

just because it isn't pretty or have a fancy brazilian name for it doesn't
mean you should disregard its usefulness. learn how to defend against
it instead of groaning about it.

I had a newbies back with my legs figure foured and he stood up (he outweighed me by quite a big deal) and jumped backwards slamming me down. No he wasn't told before not to do this but what kind of ignorant fuck does this in his first few classes when I KNOW he's never seen anyone else slam in our class. It's not a case of "What isn't forbidden is allowed," this is BJJ not a street fight, not mma training.

I'm on Gakami's side here, what if he just started slapping the guy? What if he tried every dirty move going? I doubt anyone has told him NOT to do this, the fact that this newbie is posting on here shows he should know enough not to slam someone.

As far as not letting him slam you, when someone stands in my guard I let them because I find it easier to sweep when they're standing. I don't worry about the slam because this is a sport bjj class, not mma, BJJ has self defence applications but it's also not a self defence class being taught often. Sparring is sport bjj basically, whatever bjj school you go to, even if they teach self defence moves you never spar them.

I'd give the guy the benefit of the doubt as far as whether it's slamming or an accident but if it wasn't an accident then he deserves to get worked over a bit. Nothing drastic but a few knee on face, face bars etc.

You might find the techniques rough or out of line with your schools code of conduct, but you're paying good money to learn self-defense, I'm sorry bro but I don't have much sympathy for you. Plan for the unexpected and meet their aggression head on. Don't play around with the newbie, submit him repeatedly and destroy their ego first. Make them respect you.

I got slammed the other night and then keylocked inside my guard by some guy whos never trained before :(

Be more technique and very careful with the slams you will win.

newbie rolling helps you improve because they dont know what works so they try freaky shit like just squeezing your cranium.

Firstly I have seen it happen in sport Jujitsu. Most of the time the guy gets a warning and they continue. If it was a foot off the ground most likely nothing would be said. So suck it up a keep on rolling, it isn't ballet you are training.

Secondly you are a senior student but not the coach right? It is not your position to 'deal out punishment as you see fit' you are the one that "knows better" holding hokes on after he taps is worse in my opinion. If you stop that guy comming to training you are costing your coach $80 a month or whatever he charges.

Teach him to roll properly and get rid of the angry little man attitude and everyone is happy.

"It is not your position to 'deal out punishment as you see fit'.

This is not about dealing punishment or revenge. Although if you give me your email, I will send you cut-n-pastes of previous email correspondence with this guy regarding this class.

"If you stop that guy comming to training you are costing your coach $80 a month or whatever he charges."

Not applicable in this situation. If you give me your email I'll tell you the details. In fact if anyone is lose financially, I am.

"Teach him to roll properly and get rid of the angry little man attitude and everyone is happy"

As I was saying before, in that class I spent time earlier showing him and another guy how to clean up their technique with better positioning and how to do a figurefour armlock properly. After rolling, if my partner has a question, I usually have no problems answering it for them (if I can, otherwise I ask the instructor to come around and ask him instead). Last week I was rolling with another newbie who was going full aggression at me but I was focusing on guard and positioning, and escapes. After the roll, he asked me why he simply couldn't get with an armbar, and I explained what he did wrong (didn't control my arm enough right up to the shoulder leaving me with a lot of space to move around was the main point).

But this time around with this guy he was already talking about rematches almost immediately after I submitted him (read my previous post).

Anyone talking about rematches in training is just silly. Training is just that, there are no rematches, the only way you lose in training is if you don't get anything out of it. Tapping or not isn't the issue in training, learning to use techniques against live opponents is. So the only way I could see a need for a 'rematch' in training is if you couldn't get someone with a technique and you've since improved it and want to try it again on that person to see if you can pull it off.

That said, since he's a beginner maybe he just doesn't get that yet. And for you it's a good situation, because it's going to improve your game against people who are big and strong but less skilled - if you don't want to work on that aspect of your game then you should probably just not roll with the guy from now on. I personally like to roll with a lot of different sizes and skills because I figure it makes me more well rounded.

Some people seem to forget that you have an obligation to represent bjj and your instructor against any and all newbies who think (even if out of pure ignorance) that they can come in and throw their weight around w/ impunity.

I've stopped trying to reason w/ meatheads who have no regard or respect for their training partners. When some jackass comes in off the street and starts spazzing on me, you can bet your ass that I will do my absolute damnedest to punish the guy until he's begging to get away from me.

Trying to convince someone whose just slammed you into the mat that "it's just training", or that he should "use technique" just makes you look like a pussy.

If some guy wants to go balls-out, that's cool. You shouldn't complain or say anything at all. Just look at it as an opportunity to actually see if all that technique you've been practicing really works at full speed. And, hey, if somebody gets hurt, it's better him than you.

"And, hey, if somebody gets hurt, it's better him than you."

But then the next time he partners up with some other newbie, he's going to hurt them because he thinks that's the way it's done.

Why not let him spaz out.

what's wrong with that???

I enjoy grappling with newbies that spazes, now that is the fun part.

If i want to learn or practice techniques then I do it with others that been in the class awhile.

REally nothing wrong with newbie spazers.

i was once that and sometimes it worked. i caught a couple of blue belts off guard more than once.

spazing out works sometimes but most times it don't.

Kao

ED2002:

I agree w/ your point. I guess that if you're successful in beating him up, you should/could tell him that most people don't go that hard in training, but he asked for it.

It's funny watching the expression of Aikido guys when they realise their grappling techniques are mostly ineffective.

The "newbie" I was talking about didn't come to class tonight?

• Juggs

There seems to be some misinformation.

Although I am new to BJJ, it was gakami and me who founded this club where we train at. Gakami is a white belt with several years of on and off experience from another dojo. It is not as if I am someone off the street who walked into the dojo and attacked gakami. Not at all. We both had a role in founding the club, and we have both attended since its inception 2 months ago though gakami much more regularly. Gakami is the person with overall responsibility over the club and I am by official position in the club, second to gakami.

The other thing is that I would not say that I went in with 100% aggression. I suppose I went harder than usual, but certainly not 'all-out'. In defense of this, it seemed to me that gakami was also more serious and aggressive than usual. Gakami and I have some personal issues with one another that we need to solve, and probably should not have rolled with one another that night.

Gakami's portrayal of the situation is mis-representative. This is not a case of a juiced up meat-head walking into a long established club and foolishly using full force on a blue or purple belt. It is the case of one white belt of the club who rolled with another white belt in a competitive manner, and afterwards asks whether or not he should exact revenge on that other student for a perceived minor misdeed.

As to gakami's offer to share our private email conversations, I believe what is private should be kept private and I sincerely hope gakami respects that. The only reason why I am even posting is because I don't want people to mis-understand the situation and offer wrongful advice that is not justified in this scenario.

It is a shame that such a dispute has occured in our club, or any club for that matter. I personally find everyone very easy to get along with, and it would be saddening to have bad blood with another member. Hence once again, I extend to gakami an invitation to put the incident in the past and train in a classy manner.

"Gakami and I have some personal issues with one another that we need to solve, and probably should not have rolled with one another that night."

Probably should not have? We were all rolling as per usual in class, you were the only person spazzing out and using everything you had in you in an attempt to fuck up my wrists with your wristlocks, and then you tried to slam me on the floor where you knew the mats had come apart.

"As to gakami's offer to share our private email conversations, I believe what is private should be kept private and I sincerely hope gakami respects that."

Dude, you know I'm going to have to post what you said about this class now don't you .... so that there is no misrepresentation of where you stand with this.

It's funny how this has evolved into something completely different that it appeared in that first post.

This is why you can't believe shit you read on a forum, when you are only getting one side of a story it looks completely different.

tap his bitch ass out