GSP comments on Sherk Vs. Penn

GSP said on mmaweeklyradio (04/23/08) that either Sherk win a decision in the later rounds or Penn will finish Sherk in the 2nd Round.

I agree with GSP's assessment.

lol at the safe prediction...everybody says that shit...

" lol at the safe prediction...everybody says that shit..."

Because it's true. Attempting subs has never won a decision in the UFC and laying in your opponent's guard has. If Penn can't sub Sherk by the end of the 2nd or 3rd round he probably won't be able to.

Who does he think he is.... it's not like he ever face them before ...like jeezz :)

I will go out on a limb and say that if Sherk indeed wins by decision, it will be after the fifth round.

Dr Lee prescribes a good brand of truth

Sounds very similar to GSP's prediction on the Hughes-Penn fight at UFC 63. He got that prediction correct as well.

MMAWeeklyRadio asked GSP about Sherk & Penn, because he has fought both of them.

EightBall - WTF does he know?!?

BJ Penn = king of 10 minutes fights

Dr Lee - I will go out on a limb and say that if Sherk indeed wins by decision, it will be after the fifth round.

"Attempting subs has never won a decision in the UFC"

Horn/Prangley and the first Diego/Koscheck come to mind. In Diego/Fitch I don't remember if any judge gave Fitch all three rounds and one judge had Diego winning the fight.

D 502 -  ^ He barely eeked a decision out of BJ after getting his face rearranged and he beat Sherk up in under 2 rounds. I don't see how he sees this going anyway but BJ's.

LOL at an eye poke and nose clipping to a fighter you just blinded with an eye poke = face re-arrangement.

BTW, MMaMath is less than 100% reliable. The first problem with your comparison is that GSP and Penn are completely different fighters in their styles and gameplans, thus how they fare againt Sherk will likely not bee identical.

LOL at an eye poke and nose clipping to a fighter you just blinded with an eye poke = face re-arrangement.

BTW, MMaMath is less than 100% reliable. The first problem with your comparison is that GSP and Penn are completely different fighters in their styles and gameplans, thus how they fare againt Sherk will likely not bee identical.

The key to the comparison is wrestling. If Sherk can take his opponent down and keep him there, he wins the fight. His only losses have come to people that he wasn't able to outwrestle--Hughes and St. Pierre. Sherk and Penn have a common opponent in GSP, so let's compare wrestling ability in those 2 fights.

GSP was able to completely shut down Sherk's takedowns, take Sherk down, and pound him out.
GSP was able to take Penn down also, but BJ managed to take GSP down, something Sherk was unable to do.
Therefore, I think that Penn can outwrestle Sherk and will dictate where the fight goes, giving him a substantial advantage.

My point is, "A beat B, so A can beat C" doesn't work, but if you look at HOW the fight played out, it does give you an indication of future fights.

^ That's right after GSP beat Penn. LOL at the idea that his face was "rearranged".

"but BJ managed to take GSP down"

Hmm, maybe I'm wrong, but I recall GSP getting taken down in that fight.

If Sherk can take it into the 12 and 13th rounds, he may actually have a shot(no pun intemded).

D 502 - 

"

LOL at an eye poke and nose clipping to a fighter you just blinded with an eye poke = face re-arrangement."

Yes, because a nose clipping and an eye poke fucks your face up THAT bad.

Seriously dude go troll elsewhere or at least watch the fight before you comment.

Get some glasses bro.

There's practically no part of GSPs face that isn't swollen or bruised. BTW isn't that a HOSPITAL BED he's in? GSP got the split dec based on UFC criterea but cleary took a much worse beating than Penn.

By contrast GSP DESTROYED Sherk.

Go figure.

"The key to the comparison is wrestling.  His only losses have come to people that he wasn't able to outwrestle--Hughes and St. Pierre."

It would be more accurate to say that his only losses have come to people that were able to take him down. He beat Diaz without being able to take him down, and Nick has won more fights standing than Penn has.

There is nothing to suggest that BJ's takedowns are on the level of Hughes and GSP. And there's no way in hell that he will be able to stop takedowns at any point past, say, the middle of round 2.

vlad3theimpaler - 

GSP was able to completely shut down Sherk's takedowns, take Sherk down, and pound him out.

GSP was able to take Penn down also, but BJ managed to take GSP down, something Sherk was unable to do.

Therefore, I think that Penn can outwrestle Sherk and will dictate where the fight goes, giving him a substantial advantage.

My point is, "A beat B, so A can beat C" doesn't work, but if you look at HOW the fight played out, it does give you an indication of future fights.

GSP took Sherk down a few times. Sherk actually stopped 1 of his shots.

GSP took BJ down 4 out of 5 tries. BJ tried to take GSP down once, and got GSP to his hip, but never finished the TD, and GSP stood up before BJ could get control.

I'm not sure what we can take from these fights to indicate that there's a lot of similarities between BJ's and Sherk's wrestling, BJ's and GSP's wrestling, or the gameplan similarities.

Penn isn't going to have the same gameplan GSP did. GSP is also much taller and kept Sherk at a distance, something BJ won't do. Allowing Sherk inside in the striking also helps Sherks' TDs, and if he's in close, Sherk can get the TD like Hughes did to start off Rd2 of the 2nd BJ-Hughes fight.

I'm still not seeing how the MMaMath applies here with the GSP-BJ-Sherk trifecta.