GSP now a BJJ blackbelt

I did a search, sorry if this has been posted. Pretty awesome news!

Source: http://www.graciemag.com/news/144/ARTICLE/12104/2008-10-12.html

GSP in black belt club

“It’s the high point in my career”

Georges St-Pierre with Bruno Fernandes shortly after promotion.

It wasn’t just any Saturday at the Tristar martial arts academy, in Montreal, Canada.

The Jiu-Jitsu class, with around 50 participants, was more crowded than usual. But the UFC welterweight champion, Georges Saint-Pierre, suspected nothing.

And he was moved when medical researcher and holder of several Jiu-Jitsu titles Bruno Fernandes promoted him to the status of black belt in Jiu-Jitsu.

“This was the high point in my career,” an emotional Saint-Pierre confessed, when laying out the three happiest moments of his life:

“When I received my black belt in karate, when I conquered the UFC belt, and today.”

The promotion echoed in New York and, Renzo Gracie, who has taught Jiu-Jitsu to the Canadian star in the past before his collision course with Renzo student Matt Serra, approved:

“He more than deserves it. This was excellent new for the fight world,” said the teacher.

To Gracie Barrra black belt Fernandes, who has been living in Canada for the last few years, where he earned his PhD and researches cancer treatments, and thus has been teaching the martial arts phenomenon for years, it was a great honor to fasten the black belt and say:

“Welcome to the club!”

Awesome news!

Damn, apparently GSP hasn't heard that training in the Gi is a waste of time for MMA.

Greats news for GSP and great for the sport.....Few train harder then him.

Congrats GSP.

he was just a purple belt a little over a year ago, its an instructors perogative to promote, but there are jiu jitsu players who compete at a high level and take years to get a black belt i think sometimes pro fighters are given a little too much credit and are almost promoted to bolster their resume, jiu jitsu and mma are different

ttt

'Bjj and Karate are of the same worth in mma.'

ninja please.

alewaboy52 - he was just a purple belt a little over a year ago, its an instructors perogative to promote, but there are jiu jitsu players who compete at a high level and take years to get a black belt i think sometimes pro fighters are given a little too much credit and are almost promoted to bolster their resume, jiu jitsu and mma are different

He's been a brown belt well over 2 years now. What are you talking about? It's very normal for people to go from brown to black in 2 years.

You find me one BJJ black belt that has rolled with GSP that doesn't think he is deserving of it, and I'll buy you a cookie.

Congrads GSP...

Congrats!

Abu Dhabi level submissions. Medal-worthy wrestling. Pavlik type hands. Florian worthy kicks. This guy has it all.

bout time...congrats
cherry pops

is there too much red tape on it already?

i'm not impressed with his promotion

Posty Magee - Abu Dhabi level submissions. Medal-worthy wrestling. Pavlik type hands. Florian worthy kicks. This guy has it all.

He also has riddum.

so 4/5 UFC champions are BJJ blackbelts who train in the gi regularly!

Congrats to GSP

Congrats GSP.

Blue Belt from Wagnney Fabiano (Nova Uniao)
Purple Belt from Fabio Holanda (BTT)
Brown Belt from Renzo Gracie (Gracie)
Black Belt from Bruno Fernandes (Gracie Barra).

Its like a "Who's Who" list of instructors and fight teams.