GSP the GOAT

Headkick420 - What about Chuck?

Chuck would KO Andy in their primes.

Chuck in his prime couldn't outstrike Rampage, and was getting handled by Mezger. Anderson would not only be the best striker Chuck has/had ever fought, he is also known for his chin and KO ability. Terrible matchup for Chuck imo.

Ansari -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  GSP hasn't even defeated anyone in his divisions current top 5.

This argument is pretty dumb when you consider that GSP's been out for a year-and-a-half. Things keep moving. Not to mention cutting it off at "top 5" is as subjective as anything. If you expand it to the top 10, GSP has beaten as many as Silva (2), and if you look at the top 15, GSP's beaten more than Silva (4 to 3; one of Silva's three being Rich Franklin - who knows why he's still showing up in middleweight rankings.)

It looks like GSP was so far a head that even when he stopped dead, he kept his lead, at least in this category that people seem to place a lot of importance on - victories over currently top-ranked fighters.

Wasn't the base of my argument. I'm not saying it's because of anything he's done wrong, more that the guys he beat aren't the too of his division now. Not his fault and he will probably beat the improved 170 pound division as well Phone Post

Thiaguy - Lutter, Maia, Cote, Lietes, Leben, Okami etc were....

(and I mean that's half Anderson's win streak right there LOL)

...were in no way shape or form the best etc

The fact they were ranked in the top 5 for just fighting Anderson or for losing to Anderson proves how pathetic the MW division is and always has been etc

I like Anderson but truth is Gsp has fought the better competition PERIOD

People use that argument because it's fucking true! LOL stop being in denial Anderson fanboy!

Leben: Anderson's first UFC fight. No one EVER claimed he was "Top5" so WTF are you talking about? Anderson got his title shot NOT because he only beat Leben, rather because he had already beaten a few top names at 185 in other orgs, and because Zuffa let the fans VOTE on who got to fight Franklin and the picked Andy.

Lutter: Again it is ridiculous to even MENTION him as GSP's "Lutter" (serra TUF comebacker) made him tap to strikes and LOSE the fight. To boot, no one called Lutter "Top5" so wtf are you talking about?

Cote: Was an injury replacement.

Maia: Deserving of his Top5 at the time, and was also an injury replacement. When Vitor pulled out of UFC 112 in Abu, they first offered Rashad Evans the Anderson fight at 205, but when he declined Maia was the next available contender.

Okami: Had a "win" over Anderson and people CRIED and CRIED all over the boards for the UFC not giving Okami the shot sooner. Then he got handled like all of Anderson's opponents.

You're really not good at this.

Jaybrone - 
JohnnyChingas - There is a great argument for this, he has faced the better talent at 170 than any of the others guys whose names get tossed out before his.

There is a lot of truth in this. Since GSP has been champ WW has been largely considered one of the deepest divisions in MMA. 

While I hate the GOAT discussion as it always inevitably ends up with one guy shitting on a fighters resumé in order to make a case for his guy. Can we just accept that there are certain guys like Anderson, Fedor, GSP that are amongst the greatest fighters to ever step into a cage/ring? Do we need to find ways to disparage the legacies and careers of other fighters? 

You make a good argument here, why can't we just say there are three or four GOAT's and not worry about ranking them, I just find it interesting sometimes to break down who's done more compared to the others, but overall they have all done great things, things that keep us all watching the sport.

Headkick420 - What about Chuck?

Chuck would KO Andy in their primes.

Uh, no.....and im a HUGE Chuck fan! Silva would've worn him out... Phone Post

NastyNate420 -
Goderson Silva - GSP, Fedor, Anderson are the GOATS leave it at that whichever one you think is just think it it's hard to change someones mind on who is the greatest and who isn't lol

Very true, very true. I'd also put Hendo in there, but that's my personal opinion, which is exactly what p4p is, a personal opinion. I was just trying to make an argument, I do think Andy has it now, but GSP has a great chance of taking over in the years to come.

I don't really get Hendo in the goat conversation personally. His record would look a lot different if he didn't win a bunch of generous decisions.

He had pretty definitive losses to guys like Shields, Lil Nog and Misaki in his prime. Silva beat him pretty bad. And his best wins are against guys I believe were past their prime and not the best in their division at the time he beat them.

Obviously I'm nitpicking, he is a legend and definite hall of famer when a real hof exists, I just don't see his career being on the level of guys like Silva, GSP, Fedor, Penn, Hughes, Big Nog, etc. Phone Post

Thiaguy - 
NastyNate420 - 
Thiaguy - 
NastyNate420 - 
Goderson Silva - GSP, Fedor, Anderson are the GOATS leave it at that whichever one you think is just think it it's hard to change someones mind on who is the greatest and who isn't lol

Very true, very true. I'd also put Hendo in there, but that's my personal opinion, which is exactly what p4p is, a personal opinion. I was just trying to make an argument, I do think Andy has it now, but GSP has a great chance of taking over in the years to come.

Pound for pound is such non sense

At least when talking about GOAT, you are working with actualitys etc

Yeah, but when I say GOAT, I meant greatest p4p of all time, sorry, should have clarified that. There are no guidelines or rules to qualify who is the GOAT or who is the p4p best, it's all speculation.

I don't think you understood me

When I say that's it's easier to talk about who is GOAT,

It's because there are actual records and results you can look at to determine the best etc

Where as pound for pound is just non sense.

But yeah, it is all speculation at the end of the day

And pound for pound GOAT is even more non sense IMO

But I will contribute to the thread

IMO it's between Gsp/Fedor/Anderson.

I would lean toward Fedor. The skill set he displayed for a HW was bananas

Even today, there are no current HWs, besides Santos/Cain, that have impressed me as much as Fedor use to etc

I have yet to see any current HWs with the skills Fedor had, being as effective as Fedor was etc

Fedor's skills were impeccable, and if you take into account that he wasn't the strongest or biggest dude out there, it makes you appreciate what he did even more. When he stood whit Cro Cop I thought he was going to get demolished, but out struck him. When it comes to GOAT, I guess we're going to have to wait until Silva, GSP and JBJ are retired before we can make an actual decision. By then, who knows what new talent we'll be talking about taking it though.

Thiaguy - 
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
Thiaguy - Lutter, Maia, Cote, Lietes, Leben, Okami etc were....

(and I mean that's half Anderson's win streak right there LOL)

...were in no way shape or form the best etc

The fact they were ranked in the top 5 for just fighting Anderson or for losing to Anderson proves how pathetic the MW division is and always has been etc

I like Anderson but truth is Gsp has fought the better competition PERIOD

People use that argument because it's fucking true! LOL stop being in denial Anderson fanboy!

You can call me what you want and just say guys suck, but you haven't given a real reason or answered my question.

What have Alves, Kos, Fitch and Hardy done that is so much better than Marquardt, Okami, Sonnen and Maia?

What makes beating Penn, Hughes and Shields at 170 so much better than beating Franklin, Hendo, and Vitor at 185 and Forest at 205?

Do you have real reasons or are you just going to call me a fanboy and say middleweight sucks? You can make a good argument gsp is better. But competition is not how. Phone Post

The calibre of fighters are simply better at 170! The division is stacked as well

If you can't see that, then I don't know what to say to you

I mean if you want me to debate you, what's the point?

How many big wins does Okami have? Very little if not any

Sonnen is a journey man who has lost more big fights then he's won etc

Who has Maia beaten as well?

Better yet,

Who did these fighters even beat to earn their title shots?

That's another thing which proves how weak the MW division is

BJ Penn and Hughes are greats of the sport etc

Like I said, if you don't get it now, you will never get it

Can you not tear down and shit on a few of GSP's challengers just like you did Anderson's?

Who did Koscheck beat to "earn" his title shot? It was his MOUTH and lack of contenders that got him that shot. Daley was BARELY Top 10 if he even was...and Koscheck lost to the last top 10er before than in Thiago. At least Chael beat TWO top 10ers before getting Silva...

Shields at 170 looked TERRIBLE, one win at 170 over Kampmann when MANY thought he lost but he somehow got a title shot.

Hardy beat Mike Swick and barely eeked one out on Macus Davis who was not top 10.

See how easy it is to flip your script?

UKTT`s official bottom wiper - 

Andy is the GOAT

-signed by the biggest GSP nuthugger on the UG

End thread

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
NastyNate420 -

I don't really get Hendo in the goat conversation personally. His record would look a lot different if he didn't win a bunch of generous decisions.

He had pretty definitive losses to guys like Shields, Lil Nog and Misaki in his prime. Silva beat him pretty bad. And his best wins are against guys I believe were past their prime and not the best in their division at the time he beat them.

Obviously I'm nitpicking, he is a legend and definite hall of famer when a real hof exists, I just don't see his career being on the level of guys like Silva, GSP, Fedor, Penn, Hughes, Big Nog, etc. Phone Post

Good point, when you look back at some of his fights he did win some close/lucky decisions, some of the latest being Shogun and Franklin, but even back to UFC 17, I thought he lost the Newton fight. Also, how much does his TRT usage play into your thinking, just wondering?

imo the first loss to hughes was needed for GSP..

all of us who watched then know how the fight was going, and know how it ended... Gsp was in control of the great matt hughes at the time, at the young age of what 23?

The fact GSP manhandled him twice after that by ko and sub, very much makes up for it..

Then we have AS, who has fight with lutter that he got handled a while in, Irwin, cote, the dance fest with maia, and disrespect, and now the much anticipated match with the legend bonnar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sarcasim)

add to the the well roundedness of gsp

GSP is th goat baby

another little nugget

AS 4 losses

GSP 2- both revenged with fury

Allucard - 
UKTT`s official bottom wiper - 

Andy is the GOAT

-signed by the biggest GSP nuthugger on the UG

End thread

highly doubt hes the biggest gsp fan here

maybe, but i know i myself watch him quite a bit b4 he entered the ufc, so..

i say im more of a fan

you can be the nutthugger though, ill take biggest fan

Daverr - 
imo the first loss to hughes was needed for GSP..

all of us who watched then know how the fight was going, and know how it ended... Gsp was in control of the great matt hughes at the time, at the young age of what 23?

The fact GSP manhandled him twice after that by ko and sub, very much makes up for it..

Then we have AS, who has fight with lutter that he got handled a while in, Irwin, cote, the dance fest with maia, and disrespect, and now the much anticipated match with the legend bonnar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sarcasim)

add to the the well roundedness of gsp

GSP is th goat baby

Another senseless person who cannot help but bring up Anderson's TUF Comeback opponent....yet leave out that GSP LOST to his TUF opponent...lol

Then proceeds to shit all over Stephan Bonnar and ignore that the list of GSP's opponents from the weight class avobe his is EMPTY. I think:  Irvin/Forrest/Bonnar > (empty space)

Greatest OF All Time !!!

so gsp going up to mw and beating the shit out of...

hmmm.. Dan miller? alessio sakara?

would prove what exactly?

and go ahead and ignore all my other facts why dont you

GSP is 31 now. the age where anderson entered the ufc with 4 losses... count them..

then went on to dismantle the worst division in mma.

when gsp destroyed everyone in the most stacked division..

ignore the facts all you want, they are staring right at you

and ill spell it out for you so you undestand..

Anderson natural weight allows him to easily go for 205 to 185

where as gsp would have to do major changes to either stay at mw,

cause he cant do it healthy with his weight now..

got it

Daverr - 
another little nugget

AS 4 losses

GSP 2- both revenged with fury

Anderson:  89% winning rate

GSP:  92% winning rate

Very close

Anderson: 70% career Finishing Ratio

GSP: 55% career Finishing Ratio

Not so close

Anderson: 87% UFC Finishing Ratio

GSP: 39% UFC Finshing Ratio

Not even remotely possible close at all....lol

Anderson: 3 wins above his Title weight class

GSP: Zero fights at all above his Title weight class

Anderson: 16 Top 10 wins

GSP: 14 Top 10 wins

Anderson: 10 consecutive title defenses (11 if Lutter didn't fail)

GSP: 6 consecutive title defenses

oh and also....

ever think GSP's division is a lot better than andersons so he actually has challengers??? he doesnt have to jump weight to find a fight.

if anderson was the goat, with not many contennders he should be up at 205(which is easy for him) and fight actual contenders.. instead of getting praise for owning mid teir guys and guys that horrible matchups

Daverr - 
so gsp going up to mw and beating the shit out of...

hmmm.. Dan miller? alessio sakara?

would prove what exactly?

and go ahead and ignore all my other facts why dont you

GSP is 31 now. the age where anderson entered the ufc with 4 losses... count them..

then went on to dismantle the worst division in mma.

when gsp destroyed everyone in the most stacked division..

ignore the facts all you want, they are staring right at you

What facts am I ignoring child?

GSP would have to move up AT ALL for it to be relevant for you to bring up Irvin Forrest or Bonnar...but he hasn't.

To boot, one of those 3 GSP would hypothetically have to beat would need to be ranked Top5 and be a former Champion. Yet he hasn't even tried ONCE. ;)