Gustafsson served 15 months in prison as teen

I google translated the beginning of the article. Basically, he served 15 months for a number of aggravated assaults when he was a teen.

http://www.expressen.se/sport/fangelset-det-var-hart-jag-var-ung-da/

It is a cool December evening in Stockholm .

We sit at a Persian restaurant to summarize a remarkable year for Alexander Gustafsson, and to look forward to in 2014.

But also to talk about something hard.

Anyone who has met " Alex" know about the person he is today. What a role model he is for Swedish martial arts.

But in his past are a number of convictions for aggravated assault . Everything took place between 2002 and 2006 , when he was in his teens.

Now they want Alexander Gustafsson talk about her turbulent road to the top.

- This is the only interview I do about this. I feel like I want to have my say . I want to leave it and look forward. This happened when I was a teenager, today, I am a completely different person .

You can see it in the eyes, some guys are athletes and some guys are just born fighters. Gus would be the latter, can't wait to see him fight again Phone Post 3.0

In for later. Phone Post 3.0

(continued from where OP ended)

He was 15 when he was convicted of assault for the first time .

- As a youth , I always had a lot of energy . And I had no real goals. Thus, I had great parents, great family, but I did not know where I was going with all this energy .

- I ended up in negative ways and it became a destructive behavior .

You are convicted of aggravated assault , several times . How do you see it today?

- I can not defend it in any way. It is something I am ashamed of . It was ...

He's looking for the words .

- There were some circumstances when I grew up. It was very groupings and there were fights on the town. It lasted a few years , then I moved away. From Arboga to Gothenburg. To get away from all that.
"I was young, I was stupid '

Alexander Gustafsson got his final judgment in 2006.

The year before , he had been sentenced to imprisonment for one year and three months.

- The time in prison? It was hard. I was young, I was stupid . I left a secure home for a quite precarious existence, says Alex and gazing down into the silver screen.

What was the salvation for you? How did you become the person you are today?

- MMA. When I started with it so everything turned . It was really a wow experience . There was something special. I liked the special atmosphere at the club , including the guys . The instructors were very for discipline and structure , and I have had problems with it before. Now I got it there. And it was in connection with an interest I had.

- I realized pretty quickly that this was something I wanted to do , and that what I had been doing previously was not at all sustainable .

How was the feeling? Finding a sport and find your way in my whole life.

- It was a relief. From having been out with a destructive behavior - to that. " Wow, I'm free ! " . One ton lifted from my shoulders.

- And not only that . I saw how my parents lit up , my siblings , my grandmother. People who love one . Those who have always been there and supported me , even during the tough times . Now they saw that I had been given structure. I came home with a smile on his face. I had found a calling in life .

"The Mauler " quickly became a name in MMA. He won his first nine fights , and was known for his boxing and his rap footwork .
The friend passed away last year

Only five years after his debut , he was victorious in a crowded globe , and today he is a major international star.

- It has just grown and grown , becoming larger and larger. Now I'm an athlete. Now I live MMA.

What has your faith meant throughout this journey ?

- Huge lot. It is with me all the time. It gives a sense of security and a balance in life.

- And I must emphasize pastor Wiggo Carlsson. He was like my spiritual mentor. He gave me advice about most things and I got a peace of him. It was a great man. But he passed away last year , unfortunately ... I carried the coffin at his funeral .

"Alex" collects slightly . Then we will look back on the year that has passed .

- 2013 ... It's been tough that is. I have just joined a match and I lost . But much good has come from that game as well. There are mixed feelings.

Does it feel weird to get so much cred for a loss?

- Yes, indeed. I have won several years in a row , then cods I - and I have never received so much attention before. It feels a little half- fishy indeed. But so it is. I met the world's best fighter and made a good match. People had well figured out me in advance. But I'm a perfectionist, I want that belt, that's what I work for.

If you take up spåkulan then. What about 2014 ?

- First, I match now , March 8 in London. I meet Jimi Manuwa and should win against him. Then , hopefully , a re- match against Jon Jones , and take home the belt.
Aiming for new title match

You think of a new title fight next year ?

- Absolutely . Given that I go off so early , I believe absolutely that it is entirely possible.

But you know, one game at a time . How can you crack Manuwa ?

- He's tough ! I see it as my toughest match so far , actually. Because he's a lot like me . But ... He is an Alexander Gustafsson , firm two years ago , saying " The Mauler " and smiles.

- I plan to finish this game.

Now who is the good guy, Jones or Gus? I wonder what the comments would be if Jones had done the same.

I too spent a little time in jail. Gus is a cool dude.

I been there before, but real adult court. The glove didn't fit and I got acquitted thankfully. But getting arrested, fired from my job, bail, and court dates for 18 month until trial was some stressful shit. Phone Post 3.0

Lick Boners - Now who is the good guy, Jones or Gus? I wonder what the comments would be if Jones had done the same.

I'm no fan of Jones at all but this is a fair point to bring up.

DoomFarmer -
Lick Boners - Now who is the good guy, Jones or Gus? I wonder what the comments would be if Jones had done the same.

...Gus didn't burst on the scene a full blown bible thumper. I think that's what bothered a lot of people. That aura of "I move with God- and you don't" sort of vibe.

So, yeah, the comments would obviously be harsher had the story been Jones locked up in the can. Phone Post 3.0

Injury_Duty -
DoomFarmer -

...Gus didn't burst on the scene a full blown bible thumper. I think that's what bothered a lot of people. That aura of "I move with God- and you don't" sort of vibe.

So, yeah, the comments would obviously be harsher had the story been Jones locked up in the can. Phone Post 3.0
So it's bad that Jon was/is religious? I remember him talking about God and thanking God for everything, which a lot if fighters do, but no one gets up in arms about them. He never pushed religion into anyone or anything like that. And I know what people are gonna say, he's a hypocrite, he's fake blah blah blah. Why? Because he's young and rich and your not? People make mistakes and learn from them, what bad has he done you or anyone for that sake? Phone Post 3.0

Huey Freeman - 
Lick Boners - Now who is the good guy, Jones or Gus? I wonder what the comments would be if Jones had done the same.
Fuck off dude, people change, I bet the majority of this board were a little crazy and mixed up as youths I know I certainly was.

And I can totally relate to martial arts helping turn his life around as I was I pretty much the same situation. Phone Post 3.0

Sorry if I threw some sand in your vagina bro, I did not need your sob story, I was just commenting on the double standard and the hate Jones would get from news like this.

Lick Boners -
Huey Freeman - 
Lick Boners - Now who is the good guy, Jones or Gus? I wonder what the comments would be if Jones had done the same.
Fuck off dude, people change, I bet the majority of this board were a little crazy and mixed up as youths I know I certainly was.

And I can totally relate to martial arts helping turn his life around as I was I pretty much the same situation. Phone Post 3.0

Sorry if I threw some sand in your vagina bro, I did not need your sob story, I was just commenting on the double standard and the hate Jones would get from news like this.
There's no double standard. Gustafsson is down to earth while JJ's holier-than-thou attitude pisses people off. This interview doesn't change that perception.

Either way, it's pointless to cling to a good guy/bad guy scenario. Phone Post

Two Gufs, one hammer? Phone Post 3.0

More of a fan now. Phone Post 3.0

Skinhead? Phone Post 3.0

shootfighterbull - I too spent a little time in jail. Gus is a cool dude.

Yeah you did. I remember raping you there. Good times. Gus is a cool dude.

wait. wut? lol

15 months in Sweden? He must have killed somebody Phone Post 3.0

jacktripper - Skinhead? Phone Post 3.0

always wondered if the ugly, solid black spade tattoo was covering up some regretted "art" from his youth. i guess it's possible he just really likes poker though.

Rob San Soo - More of a fan now. Phone Post 3.0
Yup. Same here. Phone Post 3.0

wow, I'm shocked