Guy screams "Thats not allowed!!!" during rolling

So this cop that has started training with us is a complete fucking dork. I can't stand when I have to roll with this guy.

He has been training for 10yrs and is a Blue Belt, he is a pretty good one but has zero personality.

Last time I rolled with him I had side control and he kept giving me his wrist for a wrist lock or cowhoof submission. So I took it, slowly. As I start to apply it he screams "THATS NOT ALLOWED!". LOL. Our instructor wasn't there and I said "really since when?". He said "it's just not".

Anyway, this guys yells that if you do anything like put your fingers inside grip on the pants for a second, reap the leg etc etc...

I want to punch the guy in his face and drag him out the door of the gym and send him back to the gym he came from but that's really not an option.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Anarkis - In some tourneys wrist locks are illegal No Gi.

This is not a tourney. This is in class, in a Gi.

Fuck it, if he's a baby about,do a few more times.

This could save his ass out in the street.

At our school, leg locks are not allowed until you're a purple belt. We've had visiting white and blue belts go for them. My first thought is to say "that's not allowed," but I just roll with it. Afterwards I'll just give them a heads-up. And wrist locks are fair game

I had a dude freak out on me for doing a calf slicer once. Phone Post

Randy Bloom - Fuck it, if he's a baby about,do a few more times.

This could save his ass out in the street.

Mat etiquette(whatever it might be at this gym), I was thinking the same thing. Are wrist locks not a part of dude's job? Does he make a habit of screaming the same thing anytime a badguy breaks the rules when fighting him and resisting arrest?

To me, it makes about as much sense as the guys who keep score during rolls. Meaning, yes, there's a sportive element to bjj that is fun and helps keep it an effective art(re: aliveness), but I thought the ultimate aim of bjj was for people to be able to defend themsleves (as Rickson would say) in 'serious business' situations? So, why should anything be disallowed that isn't going to regularly maim training partners? The more realistic your training, the better prepared you are to defend yourself. And in this guy's line of work, wouldn't that be a good thing?

Wrist locks are not allowed at the blue belt level in tournament jiujitsu. Its up to the school to decide whether or not their students can use them and at what level, just like heel hooks or toe holds....some schools allow, some don't. So many tournaments allow so many different things for all belt levels

SoCalBJJGuy - At our school, leg locks are not allowed until you're a purple belt. We've had visiting white and blue belts go for them.

Why not tell them beforehand or have it written down somewhere so they can read the school rules before sparring?

I'm not saying you do this, but I've seen people complain online about visiting students doing things that are against school rules, but they never bother to explain the rules up front.

blindgod - 
SoCalBJJGuy - At our school, leg locks are not allowed until you're a purple belt. We've had visiting white and blue belts go for them.

Why not tell them beforehand or have it written down somewhere so they can read the school rules before sparring?

I'm not saying you do this, but I've seen people complain online about visiting students doing things that are against school rules, but they never bother to explain the rules up front.

I believe they are written down on a list of rules on the wall in the locker room, but I'm not certain. It's not a huge deal to me, like I said. I may be wrong, but I think most schools are like ours re: leg locks for white and blue belts. The few schools I've visited I never had anybody sit down with me before class and go over what is and isn't allowed. I know that as a visitor I would feel compelled to ask if leg locks were allowed for lower belts before going for them in sparring.

Hoss - Wrist locks are not allowed at the blue belt level in tournament jiujitsu. Its up to the school to decide whether or not their students can use them and at what level, just like heel hooks or toe holds....some schools allow, some don't. So many tournaments allow so many different things for all belt levels

pretty sure wristlocks are allowed at all levels in adult divisions.

Wristlocks are allowed again in IBJJF tournaments. They were illegal at one point but on to use again. Phone Post

My mistake, no wristlocks for juveniles

wristlocks are ok for blue and up under ibjjf rules

demandango - 
Hoss - Wrist locks are not allowed at the blue belt level in tournament jiujitsu. Its up to the school to decide whether or not their students can use them and at what level, just like heel hooks or toe holds....some schools allow, some don't. So many tournaments allow so many different things for all belt levels

pretty sure wristlocks are allowed at all levels in adult divisions.

at least they are in ibjjf/cbjj tournaments.

Good point above.  If I were a cop, I'd want to know chicken wings and wrist locks for sure.  

double 

Wrist locks are legal white - black belt.

Don't even think of wristlocking me dude.

Ridgeback -  BJJ students are the latch key kids of martial arts.  Where are the instructors?

What do you mean?

he means the isntructor needed to set shit straight.

ridgeback has a point in that the instructors often leave the mat or don't have complete control because there are higher belts on the mat.

i think it's ok for short durations, but the black belt shoudl be in control. if he needs to step away for a short period because something came up or he is goign to shit himself, fine, but he should be running the show and letting this douche know that it's ok that wristlocks are being applied.

Pretty "unsophisticated" of him to do that...

A more experienced person might say: "Oh, you're gonna go for a wrist lock?"

The opponent will say: "Why...?"

Then you say: "No reason, go ahead."

THAT is how you prevent people from doing attacks you don't want them to do; create doubt.

--OR--

You can just shame them...

"You have to resort to wrist locks? You can't get anything else, huh?"