Heres a VID for all the TKD haters

ask pierre guenette how effective tkd is?

there is no denying that tkd,or tsd and the like can have elements that can be used to enhance something else,but it by itself will not be enough.

so many karate and tkd fighters just can't fight in anyother range.
if tkd would take on an attitude like mt,boxing, or mma,it might do ok,but it's not approached like that.

Korean kicks are dangerous and seem to come out of nowhere.  I think some of thier kicks would be good for MMA, as long as you were cross trained. 

Amazing stuff. (1st Video) At 3:30 the kick where they are standing on the track......unfuckingbelievable.

Samoa.

Some of that shit he landed on the MT guy was straight out of the Matrix.

I don't claim to be a great kickboxer, but that said there is no way you'd be prepared for combos like that if you didn't know about them.

"there is no denying that tkd,or tsd and the like can have elements that can be used to enhance something else,but it by itself will not be enough."

Really, that's all I've been trying to say. It has some useful shit. The first M stands for 'mixed', not muy thai, wrestling, and BJJ.

"Time put in to learn the couple of things that can be made useful is not worth it."

I dunno, seems to me that if you have a certain amount of experience in MA, picking other stuff up is made much easier. You will have better control of your body, and a more intuitive grasp of techniques etc. So after you do this, it makes sense to pick up esoteric knowledge.

"This is the kind of thread people use to justify their mcdojo training."

LOL

You just called a green namer a McDojo guy. What's wrong with this picture?

"It isn't MMA, but you can take valuable lessons from TKD and other TMA and apply them to MMA & MMA training."

Very good point.

and I'm not a fan of TKD at all.

Squalie, Sure ,TKD did all those things for me,just like studying any other TMA would. Its a foundation to work from but NOT very effective for self defense or MMA. It has some applications one could adapt and apply, like I said about GSP. I'm not a hater here, I trained too many years of that stuff for that, But I think I'm well qualified to make an objective opinion.

Peter Rose?

"if he didnt get that kick in it wouldve been him getting KO'd for sure."

Ummm but he DID land the kick. TKD can be adapted easily to MMA or self defense. Just add Judo and full contact.

are there a lot of broken ankles in training/performing those types of manuevers? for a lot of those landings i was just shuddering thinking about a bad landing - though i guess the same could be said for gymnastics...

the thai fighter in that clip was not well trained either.
for one he turns his head away from contact from punches.
that is a newbie mistake in boxing, kickboxing or from a fighting style that doesn't fight in that range much.

2nd,he moves straight back when trying to defend against the tkd kicks.bad mistake,and a newbie response.not something you would see often in muaythai.

the things i have observed in karate and tkd practitioners is the awkward,uncomfortable behavior when you are in tight on them.pulling straight back while lifting their chin,closing their eyes when defending or attacking.

now take a tkd practitioner and make him learn how to box,how to deal with things on the inside,how to deal with the anxiety of someone really trying to take your head off,then his tkd kicks could be effective.

pierre guinette was a top tkd prac. from canada.he tried k-1.now his first taste was andy hug,which by no means was an easy task for even experienced k-1 fighters.you could tell pierre was uncomfortable in the ring,and he got smashed.his second attempt was with a 2nd or 3rd tier fighter from k-1 and he still got beat.

tkd and most karate,while seeming to fight in most ranges,seem to put heavy emphasis on the outside range,which is also the safest.

Looks more like gymnastics than a martial art imo, still it is a good demo, and I can apreciate that some of that chit is hard to do.