How did akiyama lose?

I thought Akiyama looked very good and actually could have gotten the decision. The bottom line is that Shields' whole gameplan was to take him down and got stuffed constantly. Shields' striking was nothing special (as usual) and he didn't hurt Akiyama. Akiyama had some stand-out moments and Shields' mainly just plodded along and could never impose his game.

Akiyama could have gotten that decision. He won rounds 1 & 2. Several sites had it scored this way. One thing is for sure, there is NO WAY Shields should have won all 3 rds. Crazy.

The Sexy-Trip should have been given more points and he hit that twice. He just strutted forward all sexy-like and tripped Shields. Then did it again shortly after.

lol at anyone think aki won,

he lost the striking battle to shields for god sake... no offence to shiields, i think his standup is underrated

got out struck. akiyama may have stuffed takedowns but he didn't land anything on the feet.

Akiyama got outstruck on the feet and was unwilling to engage on the ground after his throws.

UnderTheClock - Stopping some of the opponent's offense and doing a few fancy trips equals doing virtually nothing.  not even a close decision. 

This. And I was rooting for him, but he simply let the fight pass him by, it was bizarre. Jake won, and won quite handily in the end, even without the point deduction that Sexy should have received.

Sexy just did not have enough output.

This is totally a fight he coulda won. He has the tools, he just cannot put it together.

His judo made jakes wrestling suspect. Phone Post

Jake Shields sucks now. Not sure if this is the right thread to say, but I guess somewhat related. Ya, Shields kinda sucks now.

Sal Penis - Akiyama was fuckin robbed straight up Phone Post

ROBBED Phone Post

How did he win? The only offense other than 2 take downs that shields popped right back up from was all shields Phone Post

Akiyama was awful.

I laughed at 30-27?!?!? Phone Post

He lost 30-27. He just didnt do ANYTHING.

How many actual punches did he even throw? Not sure wtf he was doing. One of the most underealized talents in the game imo.

Akiyama worries too much about his tan, his hair, and flexing his muscles during the fight.

GaGas Soldier - it was a shitty decision. Lol at people who think quantity wins fights alone... same kind of idiots they choose to be ufc judges

Instead, we just should obviously go with the imagined "quality" of strikes that have no noticeable effect on the opponent.

Sexy stopped throwing strikes with any power on it halfway through the fight...I don't know what's up with that, but his offensive output greatly declined as the fight progressed...

What did he do (offensively) to win?

Akiyama pretty much gave that fight away by not doing anything. Shields won because he was more active

random_perv - His judo made jakes wrestling suspect. Phone Post

Wrong. Sexyama is notoriously hard to take down and Shields is notoriously unexplosive with his takedowns. He always uses persistence to get people down not really timing or a strong power double. Phone Post