How Do I Escape A Bas Rutten/Catch Style Crucifix?

I still remember….

I hope your spastic flailing has improved

Well, I’m a brown belt now so….yep!

1 Like

Spaz like you mean it!!

How many non-worked submissions did Bas have in his career?

1 Like

Bas Rutten had a series of videos on youtube where he narrated his fights and it was absolutely fascinating to listen to. The one thing he kept saying, over and over again, was how much he learned about submission grappling AFTER the bulk of his career and how much he regretted coming to it so late. I’d be very curious to see him put out a grappling DVD now because even he says he didn’t know anything back then and it sounds like he really dedicated himself to it after he left the public eye.

2 Likes

He really concentrated on grappling after ken beat him the second time with a kneebah

1 Like

Hard to tell.

Interestingly to Bas they’re probably all real. I think a lot of the fixed stuff in Pancrase were one party fixings, meaning the guy who won didn’t know the other guy was letting him get over.

1 Like

100% agreed

There was only one work in pancrase on the order of moreira/dantes, but it was advertised as being a demonstration to begin with. I suspect you know nothing about pancrase and are mindlessly repeating shit like a myna bird. Name a work, any one of plethora

1 Like

Shit yourself….general let’s you escape more techniques

There’s been more works in ADCC than pancrase had. You can’t name one work in pancrase?

1 Like

Delucia and a few others have said that the experienced Pancrase guys carried or put over guys they were trying to market.

Watching that match and knowing how skilled Funaki was, it’s hard to imagine he wasn’t letting Jason work

Some people point to the Matt Hume x Shamrock fight but to me that one doesn’t look worked. Or at least if it is it’s a convincing one.

Funaki, Suzuki and ken would carry opponents in the first pancrase shows. Funaki and Suzuki learned from tiger mask’s mistakes and tried to make the matches more spectator friendly.

1 Like

That’s all I meant homie. I love Pancrase, didn’t mean to imply it was all rigged or anything.

After I started understanding BJJ I went back and watched all their matches. Some useful tidbits from those 3, especially Funaki and Suzuki. Slick grapplers ahead of their time.

When I’d get to some matches like that delucia one I could tell they weren’t going hard. That’s all I meant. They knew carrying some guys was better for the sport long term.

Jason was going for all he was worth. Funaki misjudged how close he was to the ropes, he gave the hold to Jason and then was to far for a rope escape

1 Like