How Do I Escape A Bas Rutten/Catch Style Crucifix?

I got caught in one today by a buddy of one of my training partners who’s visiting. I’ve never seen it actually applied. Dude was strong as heck.

Or maybe it’s a cradle?

The one from side control? That is a total shit position for the guy on bottom and it seems like you're stuck. If cranks are ok you're in trouble. If cranks are ok and they get the leg in you're dead. 

I'm sure a better grappler has some kind of answer beyond not getting there in the first place. 

Liver kick.

2 Likes

He got it for scarf hold. I’ve never had it done and let him get too deep. I’ll give that spot a lot more respect from now on. I just want to know how to escape if it happens again.

I can escape a lot of different positions. I was clueless in this one though.

shen -

Liver kick.

That's the greatest move in martial arts history if you ask me...

This one?

View post on imgur.com

Bohlander almost hit a spladdle also.

de braco -

This one?

Bohlander almost hit a spladdle also.

No. Is sort of the position that Paul Herrera and Gary Goodridge were in. Only he tapped me with a compression rather than me elbowing him to bolivia.

Do you mean this? https://goo.gl/images/zgH1Fv

View post on imgur.com

A guy at my gym calls that move the "chile con queso".

de braco -
That's it.
View post on imgur.com
de braco -
Is that my only escape option?

Is that ok in ibjjf comps?

That gif makes you look at the crucifix differently 

I guess the gif is not a cradle because he doesn't have the head clenched. 

The defense is to lock both hands and press his head away to create space. Throw free leg across the face to force him away, breaking his grip around the head. 

I've never heard the Goodridge "move" called anything, we used to call the Bas one a "nautilus", once you're curled, the chances of pushing back the head to escape are slim to none, since one arm is isolated. Only ever heard the double underhooks called a crucifix.

Ok. I didn’t know what to call it, and I’ve only seen it on videos but not applied in real life. Then the dude nailed me with it last night.

How do I escape? I hate not knowing!

Like diet butcher said, if you can frame up before being fully curled you can hook the head with your leg.

de braco -

Like diet butcher said, if you can frame up before being fully curled you can hook the head with your leg.

I get that. I was complacent and going through my options from scarf hold and he hooked it up.

I’m looking for an escape when you’re in the submission itself.