How do I tone my thighs?

I do bjj 4 days a week, cardio 2-3 days a week and usually 2 weight lifting days a week

I weigh between 83-85 kilos and I'm 6'2

Any tips would be appreciated and thank you in advance Phone Post 3.0

Thigh master

Lose fat or build muscle. Pick one.

Toning does not exist. Phone Post 3.0

My guess is that Stefan is European and "toning" is a common term that means something a little different than it does in the US. I think he means "build muscle" or strengthen. Phone Post 3.0

I'm actually from Australia.

My adductors seem to carry a lot more fat than the rest of my thighs. I have pretty thick legs in general. I was just wondering what I could do to slim them down Phone Post 3.0

stefanpietro10 - I'm actually from Australia.

My adductors seem to carry a lot more fat than the rest of my thighs. I have pretty thick legs in general. I was just wondering what I could do to slim them down Phone Post 3.0
Lose fat.

You cant spot reduce from specific areas. Phone Post 3.0

Cawsie77andConorTouchedMe - 
stefanpietro10 - I'm actually from Australia.

Lose fat.

You cant spot reduce from specific areas. Phone Post 3.0

This.

Fat loss is a systemic process. For example doing high reps with a particular exercise is not going to "spot reduce" the fat layer covering that specific muscle group.

Signaling factors enter the blood stream to tell fat cells when to release fatty acids into the blood for energy. Since your circulatory system goes all over the body, your fat loss is "systemic."

There are different genetically determined factors that give some fat cells more propensity to lose fat than others (this includes fat storage as well).

As a generalized example women are more likely to store fat around the hips, butt and legs, and men more likely to store it around the abdomen.

So what do you do?

You just have to lower your overall bodyfat percentage until you get the desired results. Your body will lose fat according to its genetically programmed pattern.

(Alternately, you could just hypertrophy your legs. There are 2 ways to increase definition; lose fat, or increase the size of the underlying muscle. Usually a combination of both works best.)

You're under 190 lbs at 6'2... are your legs really that big or are you manorexic?

vermonter - You're under 190 lbs at 6'2... are your legs really that big or are you manorexic?
I think a little of both to be honest. I was around 102kg about a year and a half ago.

It seems like my legs are a lot thicker in proportion to the rest of my body. I notice it a lot when I buy jeans (not to sound melodramatic) Phone Post 3.0

We're going to have to see several pics of your thighs to give you our honest opinions.

So whenever you've got a free minute, we'll be waiting...

stefanpietro10 - 
vermonter - You're under 190 lbs at 6'2... are your legs really that big or are you manorexic?
I think a little of both to be honest. I was around 102kg about a year and a half ago.

It seems like my legs are a lot thicker in proportion to the rest of my body. I notice it a lot when I buy jeans (not to sound melodramatic) Phone Post 3.0

Do you have an aversion to building your upper body?

I see no reason not to unless youre a runway model, or have an "alternative lifestyle."

HERTSWENIP -
stefanpietro10 - 

I see no reason not to unless youre a runway model, or have an "alternative lifestyle."
I don't necessarily have a small upper body but I am trying to build more muscle on my upper body.

I just don't want to be overly muscular because I eventually plan on competing in bjj. Phone Post 3.0

stefanpietro10 - 
HERTSWENIP -
stefanpietro10 - 

I don't necessarily have a small upper body but I am trying to build more muscle on my upper body.

I just don't want to be overly muscular because I eventually plan on competing in bjj. Phone Post 3.0

Well, you're in luck- cos muscle gains are not permanent, one normally has to do things in the gym and how they eat to maintain them.

Also, it normally takes time to build up muscle mass. I wouldnt worry about suddenly waking up and being shocked from gaining 20lbs overnight- it is a slow process.

I have to chuck every time people worry about becoming "too muscular" because building muscle is something that takes time, effort and planning for most people.

Rest assured- your gains will come at a slow enough pace for you to control it.

HERTSWENIP -
stefanpietro10 - 
HERTSWENIP -
stefanpietro10 - 

Well, you're in luck- cos muscle gains are not permanent, one normally has to do things in the gym and how they eat to maintain them.

Also, it normally takes time to build up muscle mass. I wouldnt worry about suddenly waking up and being shocked from gaining 20lbs overnight- it is a slow process.

I have to chuck every time people worry about becoming "too muscular" because building muscle is something that takes time, effort and planning for most people.
I think its totally reasonable to want to keep your body weight lower if you're planning to compete in BJJ and want to do so in a lower weight class; its a fucking ton easier to fight smaller guys.

I'm 5'8, and weigh about 180 lbs. most of the guys at my gym who compete weigh 20-25 lbs less than me because of a ton of effort on their part to avoid getting bigger for the sake of cutting down to 145 or 155.

most people, for whatever reason, tend to gain weight in some fashion as they get older (if you're normal weight as an 18-20 year old, most people I know are heavier at 30 or 40 than they were at 20), and IMO it gets harder to turn things around and lean out all the way back down as you get older. I know this isn't true for everyone, but wanting to compete in weight class sports is a really valid reason for anyone to keep their weight down. You can start lifting seriously later after you decide you've competed enough for yourself, or don't want to prioritize it anymore, or just change your mind, or whatever. Phone Post 3.0

^^^^ most people who are also 5'8"ish and compete, I mean.

For sure it takes some work to get bigger for most people, but if you're you g, new to training, and spend 6-12 months squatting for the first time ever and eating like a young dude (lots of caloric surplus) you can get some extra muscle a lot easier than a 35 year old will.

I went from 145 to 160 and was visibly leaner in 6 months when I was 20 just from making a concentrated effort to eat more while I was wrestling or doing no-GI 3-5 times a week (no lifting at all, but the wrestling was enough " resistance" training to turn caloric surplus into muscle). When you're young and untrained, you can be an asshole and do stupid things and still get results, IMO. Phone Post 3.0

stefanpietro10 -

Embrace the thickness Bro and start squatting. Muscular legs look great. Phone Post 3.0

Especially in nogi :p Phone Post 3.0

chandler2911 -
stefanpietro10 -

Embrace the thickness Bro and start squatting. Muscular legs look great. Phone Post 3.0

Yea, get some short shorts and show those ham thighs off.  BOING!