how do you feel about "to the tap" tourneys?

these are tournies where there are no points or time limits. only submissions will end a match.

are you for or against them and why?

for, as long as it is on occasion. also i tend to win almost exclusively by submission, and lose only by points, so it may work in my favor

I hope it becomes more popular and the better players start to become involved.

I love them their the fucking best. They promote everything that jiu jitsu's supposed to be about IMO.

sub only tourneys are the bomb. rules are very easy to understand.

I'm for them.

I like them, they keep the action moving and it helps the match look good. Stalling becomes pointless because if you want to win you need to tap the other dude.

LOVE them ---- because you should always try and go for the finish.

IMO maybe the no time limit if it was for gold
who wants six thirty minute matches in a row with guys attacking like pitbulls?

Jeff915 - LOVE them ---- because you should always try and go for the finish.

I agree. I've never done one but personally, I'd rather get tapped than lose by points to some dude who gets a few points or an advantage and stalls out.

Doesn't seem very practical to me. It's cool in principle but so many of these guys are so closely matched that a tap is rare. Cobrinha and Mendes went 40 or 50 minutes with no tap. How do you have another match after that?

I only roll to the death.

John Nic - IMO maybe the no time limit if it was for gold

who wants six thirty minute matches in a row with guys attacking like pitbulls?

I do, if thats what it takes to win.

i like them.

Judo Scott - I love them their the fucking best. They promote everything that jiu jitsu's supposed to be about IMO.

TTT

Years ago I saw a sub only match last over an hour and a half.

Love them.

US Grappling runs submission only tournaments all of the time. IIRC, the average sub only match lasts about 8 minutes.

I remember the one in Winchester, VA last year that started at 10am (or was it 11?) I was reffing one of the last matches around 5pm. We had rolled up the mats, packed them on the truck, and were out of the venue and on our way to dinner by 6pm.

yeah, probably half of us grappling's tourneys are sub-only. the goat keeps pretty detailed stats on the website.

they move very smoothly and they've got a pretty good system for dealing with long matches.

I love them. I've seen it give the more technical/not so athletic guy more of a chance to win against athletic guys. Some guys are so fit & conditioned that even with a little less technical skill that can absolutely dominate someone that's not an athlete for a mere 5 minutes.

If the non-athlete can weather the storm, he's got a chance to compete now. So with both types of tourneys out there, it gives both types of guys a venue and more of a fighting chance.

I think they're great. They focus on finishing and that's what jiu jitsu is about. Advantages and stalling is killing tournament jiu jitsu. It would nice to see new time limits, no advantages and better stalling rules, but until the submission tournament is keeping the hope alive.