how do you feel about "to the tap" tourneys?

forumnewb - 
clinzyrva - We talked about it last night, actually. Still no commitment, though...SoCal is really, really, REALLY far from our mats.

BOO-URNS

i'm tired of waiting

ttt for The 1st Annual Check Your Oil Sub-Only Championships (coming soon)

I mean, do you have a venue with mats? 

No time limits seems a little crazy for a tournament.

How bout something like the swedish tournaments but longer time limits.

Have a 20 minute time limit per match.

No sub = Draw = 1 pt each

Submission = 3 pt

Getting subbed = 0 pts

Have a round robin, then two highest pt totals compete in finals.

judogoat - I mean, do you have a venue with mats? 

i don't "have" a venue, but i know ontario h.s. in ontario, ca, and sant ana h.s. in santa ana, ca, have held several tourneys and they have wrestling mats available for use. maybe you can try contacting them. 

you guys worry me,your starting to sound like rorion.

I think there should be more of them.

It encourages less stalling and makes jiu-jitsu players evolve more to make sure they are finding those positions to start going for the finish more.

More of them!

To the pain!

There's one happening in Morgantown, WV next Saturday the 22nd.
Ground Zero Submission Only 4. $35 for both gi and nogi. There's a $250 absolute division for gi and nogi as well.

Rules and weights - http://teamgzfs.com/GZ_Tournaments.html

What I like about the Swedish (relatively) short time limit is that it really inspires to go at it FROM THE START. If there's no time limit, then a lot of players would have a little "feeling out" process, which could last up to 5 minutes imo and then start to really go at it.

i have only competed in one, however i did not particularly enjoy it. It was near 2 years ago, i won 2 matches, had a draw on one.

on the draw, it was hard to be offensive, if i got a dominant position my opponent would just clamp down his elbows and resist any offense i attempted.

in a points match, i can create a points lead that will then force my opponent to open his game if he wants a shot at winning the match. in a worst case scenario, if i got took down, guard passed and mounted i would be down 9-0. i could then reverse the position, pass guard, side control, knee on belly, mount. putting me up 11-9. now my opponent is forced to take action to have a chance to win. he cant just resist my offence. more chance for me to get a sub now.

just an example of my issue.

one other issue, i tend to look at everything as a learning oppurtunity. i tend to think that this style of tournament teaches you to think and react in a way that is not advantageous for a ibjjf style comp. i worry that i would develop bad habits. although i will say that it is fun to compete under a variety of rulesets.

Foundation - There's one happening in Morgantown, WV next Saturday the 22nd.
Ground Zero Submission Only 4. $35 for both gi and nogi. There's a $250 absolute division for gi and nogi as well.

Rules and weights - http://teamgzfs.com/GZ_Tournaments.html

i LOVE that price. wow.

matches do not last as long as a lot of people think... there is very little stalling, the prospect of having multiple 15, 20, 30+ min matches is fairly daunting... of all the us grappling sub only tourneys i've been to, i have witnessed very little stalling.. the incentive is not there, who the hell wants multiple long long matches... the only thing i have noticed is a lot of people loosen up(lower belts mainly) and get sloppy

elbigsam - i have only competed in one, however i did not particularly enjoy it. It was near 2 years ago, i won 2 matches, had a draw on one.

Doesn't sound like no time limits to me at all.

judogoat - 
elbigsam - i have only competed in one, however i did not particularly enjoy it. It was near 2 years ago, i won 2 matches, had a draw on one.

We are holding a Round Robin Submissions Only tourney as well in Surrey, BC 30 minutes from the border on Saturday, June 19th. The weight-ins will start at 9:00am and all fights start at 9:30am. Competitors will fight up to 10 times. For more information about the 2010 West Coast Submissions Championship please vist www.jiujitsulife.com.

Fuzzy Badfeet - im not familiar with that term...

i'll explain and i'll use small words so you'll be sure to understand, you warthog faced baboon.

"To the pain" means the first thing you lose will be the feet below the ankles, then your hands at your wrists. Next, your nose...

I prefer sub only, but don't compete now, so why does my opinion matter? Usually the only wars you get are extremely even matches, which can be avoided. If you're seeding at all, worst case scenario is those matches move to the final rounds of the tournament.

judogoat - 

there were time limits in the submission only tournament i did.

I rolled in a "To the Pain" tournament and lost to some douchebag named Roberts.