how does a fighter go: ammy to pro to ammy?

i've seen some fighters that fight in ammy fights after they have gone pro

how does that work?  once you go pro, you can go back??

yea, double you tee eff?

where the fuck are the mma experts on this site?  don't make me post this on sherdog

Idk why they'd WANT to do it but yes they could. Really the only big differences are round length and ammy fighters don't get paid. Could just be they needed a tune up fight. Phone Post

You don't. Simple as that. Some promoters in the past would list fights as amateur for one reason or another, I'm not exactly sure why.

I do know of times it has happened, a good friend of mine (Jeremy Surratt) fought an opponent in the amateurs and had fought pro more than 6 years before. Jeremy broke the guys shoulder in the 3rd round.

But, it isn't allowed and is considered illegal by any commission. Phone Post

Not all states and orginizations operate under athletic commissions though and it does happen quite often and ur right, people usually do end up getting hurt. Phone Post

Bobby Lupo -  Going pro should always be like going black....You cant go back

But its not the same. People may still want you after going pro....

Fighters do this in Indiana and some nearby states all the time. You're not supposed to be able to, but there are lots and lots of fighters who have. If you look at some well-known fighters - including guys in the UFC - some made their pro debuts and then later fought on one or two amateur cards after that. Back then, it was easier to do. There aren't many areas that allow it now, but some promotions just alternate their cards back and forth between amateur and pro even though it's many of the same fighters on all of the cards.

Other situations where it occasionally happens are when a pro fighter is scheduled to fight another pro fighter, but one is forced to withdraw at the last minute and a less-experienced replacement fills in. Sometimes the bout will then be changed to an amateur fight to account for the replacement fighter's lack of experience and likelihood of losing. That's rare, but it's happened on some cards that I have seen.

You are not suppose to go back and forth. I fought ammy for 2 yrs then went pro in 1999 after that I could not go back even if I tried. I have seen pro fighters fight on ammy cards but as pros and use pro rules, that was to just get the fans in the seats to watch the ammy nore or less. Now an days there is alot of fighters that say they are pros just to get the hoes but are really ammys.

You cant go back.

I know in Hawaii some fighters have done this. Some fighters were fighting pro for a while, then Hawaii finally got a commission. But it didn't turn out as good as expected. A lot of confusion!

But with the new commission there was a lot of issues with fighters trying to get license, the requirements, and some other confusion. So a lot of fighters who were pros, where not recognized as pro unless they registered with the Hawaii commission & paid the fees, blood work, etc.

Some fighters continued to fight as "Amatuer" on some random show against other previous pro fighters. Some had save up some money to get registered as a pro.

So this is common in Hawaii, just had to do with the commission.

I know some fighters who have done this here in Indiana. Since there's no regulatory commission in IN, stuff like that happens all the time. Oh the stories I could tell... no scales at weigh-ins, fighters coming out the same night listed as two different weights over 20lbs apart, I remember one fighter (a rather well known boxer around here) step onto a scale, I saw it in the 190 area, he leaned over to the promotor, and he announced his weight as 173. The "EMT" at one fight who forgot to bring any gear with him, I remember him using a pizza box he folded up with garbage bags to make a splint for someone's wrist, the biker showing up and fighting in his jeans in the same fight (name was Smash btw)...

Anyways, what I saw happen was a pro show up for a fight, his opponent no show, no other pro offers to fight him, so he takes on an amateur for no pay just for the experience, or they just show up with some teammates and the promotor needs fighters, so they fight some poor ammy's. Most of the time when I saw this, the pro would go out of their comfort zone and try new things, IE, a grappler try striking more, a striker try more submissions, etc. Sometimes, they simply beat the shite out of their amateur opponents though.

Skpotamus - I know some fighters who have done this here in Indiana. Since there's no regulatory commission in IN, stuff like that happens all the time. Oh the stories I could tell... no scales at weigh-ins, fighters coming out the same night listed as two different weights over 20lbs apart, I remember one fighter (a rather well known boxer around here) step onto a scale, I saw it in the 190 area, he leaned over to the promotor, and he announced his weight as 173. The "EMT" at one fight who forgot to bring any gear with him, I remember him using a pizza box he folded up with garbage bags to make a splint for someone's wrist, the biker showing up and fighting in his jeans in the same fight (name was Smash btw)...

Anyways, what I saw happen was a pro show up for a fight, his opponent no show, no other pro offers to fight him, so he takes on an amateur for no pay just for the experience, or they just show up with some teammates and the promotor needs fighters, so they fight some poor ammy's. Most of the time when I saw this, the pro would go out of their comfort zone and try new things, IE, a grappler try striking more, a striker try more submissions, etc. Sometimes, they simply beat the shite out of their amateur opponents though.

LOL, I thought I heard of some ghetto show, but that just topped it! Just curious on how long ago that happened? I'm hoping that was a long, long time ago? No scales, no medical equipment, fighting in pants, pro vs ammy, was this all in the same show?

I have seen it before, but this was back in the late 90's/early 2k, when some times, two guys would both have pro fights in the past but be fighting in a state that had no professional MMA. SO the two guys would fight one another, both knowing the other, or at least one had fought professionally, often for "travel money" and or with some rules modifications.

The times I have seen this happen were not so much fighters trying to get over, but a simple case of the closest state to stay busy/get fights in, simply had no professional MMA. So two guys would fight under amatuer rules, may or may not get paid, but did it to stay busy.

I cant see how it would happen this day and age though, not with MMA literally everywhere.

FACT: If you fight pro, you cannot go back to ammy (legally).

However, the ONLY difference between a pro and ammy fight, is that you get paid for it. Some promoters might have to promote the show as an "Ammy" event to get around certain regulations. Which, is not good for the sport.

When MMA began, you started as a pro as there were very few Ammy events back then. MMA was NHB.

In this day and age, it would be hard to get that by a commission. Unless someone wasn't paying attention.

ChinoV - 
Skpotamus - I know some fighters who have done this here in Indiana. Since there's no regulatory commission in IN, stuff like that happens all the time. Oh the stories I could tell... no scales at weigh-ins, fighters coming out the same night listed as two different weights over 20lbs apart, I remember one fighter (a rather well known boxer around here) step onto a scale, I saw it in the 190 area, he leaned over to the promotor, and he announced his weight as 173. The "EMT" at one fight who forgot to bring any gear with him, I remember him using a pizza box he folded up with garbage bags to make a splint for someone's wrist, the biker showing up and fighting in his jeans in the same fight (name was Smash btw)...

LOL, I thought I heard of some ghetto show, but that just topped it! Just curious on how long ago that happened? I'm hoping that was a long, long time ago? No scales, no medical equipment, fighting in pants, pro vs ammy, was this all in the same show?

They were around 2000, 2001 or so. The no scales, no med equip, and Smash were in one show. Oh yeah, the locker room was the bathroom of the bar/lounge the fight took place at. The ring was setup in the parking lot. We didn't know the fight sched or who our opps were until our names were called. I was actually not completely changed when they announced my name (I got to fight first). Never did get my opponents name. I koed him with a head kick literally 3 seconds into the fight and someone drove him off in their car, never saw him again.

paging rickey robinson.

OneSidedWar - FACT: If you fight pro, you cannot go back to ammy (legally).

However, the ONLY difference between a pro and ammy fight, is that you get paid for it. Some promoters might have to promote the show as an "Ammy" event to get around certain regulations. Which, is not good for the sport.

When MMA began, you started as a pro as there were very few Ammy events back then. MMA was NHB.

In this day and age, it would be hard to get that by a commission. Unless someone wasn't paying attention.

That is a fact NOW, that was not so much a fact 12 or so years ago.

Most often, a pro fight listed early in a career (followed by amateur fights) was because the event was reported incorrectly by whoever submitted the results. So early pro bouts were actually amateur bouts, and the amateur bouts afterward were just more amateur bouts.

That is the case far more often than guys actually being paid to fight, then fighting for free...

Also, the definition of pro varies with some regulation. Here, it is defined as having been issued a license in any jurisdiction as a pro fighter. Well, Alaska has no commission. SO you could fight up there, be paid for it like a pro...then come back to this state without ever having been licensed to fight pro...or have any legit report of having fought pro...and continue an impressive amateur career.

A lot of fights are mistakenly listed as pro when they are amateur fights.