How good was Marvin Hagler?

vandelay - 

One of the best middleweights of all time imo. I feel like he never got a fair shake. Had to wait years for a title fight (something like 40 fights I believe) then got screwed in his first title fight(bad decsion). Then when he finally won it he was booed right outta the arena. Smashed Hearns, then got jerked around by Leonard and screwed again on the decision(my opinion) bottom line is the dude fought tough, beat people up on the inside and was very intimidating. During what many consider one of boxings legendary eras he was one of the best. Phone Post

The draw against Vito A. was ridiculous. There was not 20 seconds of any round that Vito won. He was booed after he beat Mintner because the fight was stopped on cuts and because the fight was held in London.

Hagler was great.

Marvin Hagler was one of the greatest fighters who ever lived in my opinion, hands down. Growing up there were plenty of boxers to look up to, but he was my all time favorite. His fight against Tommy Hearns is still one of my favorites or that absolute travesty of justice result of his fight with Sugar Ray Leonard where he was robbed on live TV. Go back and watch that fight if you ever get a chance, Leonard's game plan was to stay away from Hagler and only engage him in the last 10 seconds of each round in order to try and steal it in the eyes of the judges and it worked. Marvin Hagler is still the middleweight champion of the world in my book.

AMR Group - Marvin Hagler was one of the greatest fighters who ever lived in my opinion, hands down. Growing up there were plenty of boxers to look up to, but he was my all time favorite. His fight against Tommy Hearns is still one of my favorites or that absolute travesty of justice result of his fight with Sugar Ray Leonard where he was robbed on live TV. Go back and watch that fight if you ever get a chance, Leonard's game plan was to stay away from Hagler and only engage him in the last 10 seconds of each round in order to try and steal it in the eyes of the judges and it worked. Marvin Hagler is still the middleweight champion of the world in my book.

This is a good post. +1

he was so good he didnt have to mangle his nuts with ROIDS!

HUGE Hagler fan, and thought he should have gotten the nod in the Leonard fight, but Hagler's ego cost him that one in my opinion.

Coming out in an orthodox stance for the first few rounds, trying to prove that he could outbox Leonard, cost him the first few rounds. When Hagler switched to southpaw, the fight started going his way (Leonard was rumored to have trouble with southpaws, and Hagler was BETTER as a southpaw).

By the time Hagler started taking control, it was too late. Leonard was such a fan-favorite that anything short of a KO was not going to help Hagler.

The fight with Leonard could have been judged either way. You might say you need to give it to the champ then, but really, there was no clear winner and a decision could be justified for either fighter. Hagler shouldn't have been so bitter. He can't exactly say he was "robbed".

Awesome boxer.

Bootsy Collins - Boxing has lost something so magical
This.. There will never again be fighters like Hagler, Gatti was the last of this breed. Now just like the rest of American society boxing is a world of entitlement not hunger Phone Post 3.0

Hagler was the fucking man! I know it was smart on Leonard's part, but I've always thought his demanding of a 24x24 ring during the negotiations was such a chicken-shit move.

Imagine a UFC fighter demanding a larger octagon.

NJstileNJ -
This.. There will never again be fighters like Hagler, Gatti was the last of this breed. Now just like the rest of American society boxing is a world of entitlement not hunger Phone Post 3.0

Angulo-Kirkland

That fight was enough of a war that it made it seem like those days again. Phone Post

How good was he? Well he was so good that almost 25 years after his last fight you can post a question about him on an MMA forum and not only will people respond to tell you how awesome he was, but not a single person throws up a WFA. That's how good he was. Phone Post

dubate - 

How good was he? Well he was so good that almost 25 years after his last fight you can post a question about him on an MMA forum and not only will people respond to tell you how awesome he was, but not a single person throws up a WFA. That's how good he was. Phone Post

lol, very true.  The 70s and 80s were a golden era.  Today I saw a boxing magazine in a store with Ali on the cover.  That's how bad everybody misses those days.

JeffersonDArcyChoke - 
NJstileNJ -

Angulo-Kirkland

That fight was enough of a war that it made it seem like those days again. Phone Post

NJ that is some pretty ignorant shit to say.
I take it you don't watch much boxing, because if you did you would know there are tons of awesome fighters right now.
Golovkin, Matthysse, Froch, Rios (who is similar to Gatti) Canelo, Broner, Rigs etc.

UGCTT_Charles Bronsons Mustache - 
JeffersonDArcyChoke - 
NJstileNJ -

Angulo-Kirkland

NJ that is some pretty ignorant shit to say.
I take it you don't watch much boxing, because if you did you would know there are tons of awesome fighters right now.
Golovkin, Matthysse, Froch, Rios (who is similar to Gatti) Canelo, Broner, Rigs etc.

Don't forget Timothy Bradley's last fight it was a war