How long you been Training & Belt

Purple. About 8 years.

Sometime 4 times a week. Sometimes 4 times in 4 months.

I am so pissed at my game right now......I have no problem going with other purples,,.,....its the strong/spastic WHITE belts with those loose Judo gi's that really show how weak my game is!!!!!

It really shows my lack of technique when I roll with these guys.

Just under 4 years total and I'm a no-stripe blue right now.

I think AKIRA SHOJI FAN's point is that most of you don't deserve your belts and he would kick your asses if you ever went to his academy.

I think AKIRA SHOJI FAN needs a little more humility.

11 years - purple
I train 6 days a week religiously

6 and a half years total

3 years on and off training to blue

3 years pretty consistent training to purple

I still tap to certain blues and have trouble with the occasional white.

Get passed/swept/tapped by the majority of purple/brown/blacks.

BJJ is a long, long long long frustrating journey.

8 years, 3 months / 3-stripe Purple

Dr. Schmeckle Said

"Purple. About 8 years.

Sometime 4 times a week. Sometimes 4 times in 4 months.

I am so pissed at my game right now......I have no problem going with other purples,,.,....its the strong/spastic WHITE belts with those loose Judo gi's that really show how weak my game is!!!!!

It really shows my lack of technique when I roll with these guys. "

My thoughts exactly

A quick read of Rodrigo Gracie's Path to Black Belt discussion of belts and rankings should give some support to what Josh Johnson says.

BB is not all about competition, it is about alot more.

For instance, this weekend Harvey Berhman was promoted to BB at the Michigan Open. Caique promoted him and Saulo Ribiero gave a speech too. Those two legends (Caique and Saulo) did not mention Harvey's competition record once! They talked about his loyalty, his quest for knowledge, his devotion to his family, his perseverence through injury and his willingness to promote the martial art.

Every one can attain Black Belt, but most have to leave the keyboard and train to earn it. clicks add message and grabs gym bag

8 years... Purple

"Roberto Atalla told me the worst thing you can do in bjj is compare
yourself to others."

I like this idea a lot, and try really hard to convince myself of this, but
in a sport where your success depends directly on competing with
another, its hard not to get down on yourself when you don't seem to
be progressing as fast as your peers

"Caique promoted him and Saulo Ribiero gave a speech too. Those two legends (Caique and Saulo) did not mention Harvey's competition record once! They talked about his loyalty, his quest for knowledge, his devotion to his family, his perseverence through injury and his willingness to promote the martial art."

Saulo didn't mention competition?!? But Saulo is one of the most successful competitors ever!!!!

Wait a minute...

Saulo did mention competition, but not as a criterion of becoming black belt... I think his comment regarding competition was something like this

"Competition is for the fun... to see your mistakes... to feel your style against others, but it is not to make enemies. It is to grow the art."

Regardless, competition success can be a indicator of ability, but the flip side is not true (i.e. lack of success or lack of competition does not equal lack of ability).

"The mat doesn't lie. People who are "over" promoted know it and have to hide from the mat their entire life."

Excellent point!!!

Anyway I see what Akira is trying to get at but I don't think it is as cut and dry as he would like to think.

True there are some people who indeed are promoted to fast IF you "think" that skill and ability were the only criteria for promotion. I mean we can't deny the fact that some people seem to have moved through the ranks quickly with less amount of time in compared to others.

BUT there is also the otherside of the coin. I've seen people promoted who have been doing the sport longer BUT still weren't nearly as good as others who have not been doing the sport as long.

The reality is, there will always be a percentage of people involved in Bjj who will be measurable better the others even though they have put in less overall time in sport. I think this percentage is much larger then some would like to admit. This is something alot of people are just going to have to face and deal with.

I know two guys who were recently promoted to purple and who have been doing Bjj only 3 years holding their own against another "seasoned" purple belt (who said he had been doing Bjj for about 7 years). They were all very good. BUT the fact was the two with less over time in Bjj was just as good as the guy with more time in bjj.

Now it would have been a damn shame that the two individuals with less time in the sport would be penalized because of this and held back promotion.

The only reason to really hold them back in regards to promotion would be to protect the "feelings" of those who have been doing the sport longer and who are not as good.

Some people don't want to face this fact.

Six years, purple under Rels.

5 years purple belt

Going on 9 years just got brown

5 1/2 years. New purple.

shen wants you to think he is an unbleached belt.

8 years purple belt

Congrats Trust!

started in '95. trained regularly 2-3x/wk up until 2000. took it up again about a year ago. blue belt and will probably stay there for quite a while because my body refuses to do the things that it used to. father time's a bitch.

3.5 years, blue belt.

www.scott-schilling.com