How long you been Training & Belt

6.5 years -- purple

5 years - purple belt under Braulio Estima

I got promoted about 12 months ago.

next month = 7 years, purple belt for almost 2 of them now

9 Years - black belt. Took me 6.5 years to get the belt.

Trust,

About friggin' time man!

Congrats!

9.5 years, brown belt

Well done, Trust!!!

Spider guard, that's awfully fast. How often do you train? Congrats to you too!

Two and a half years. Blue belt.

I was also told that your belt is an indicator of your own performance level, and you shouldn't compare yourself with other people.

Congratulations, Trust!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome!

I have seen guys at our gym who had a lot of potential, but were not promoted b/c of their attitude or behavior on the mat. They simply were not emotionally mature enough for the belt. When your instructor gives you a belt, you then become a direct reflection o him. If you cannot be trusted to not act like an idiot at competitions (or in everyday life) you should not be promoted no matter how good you are imo. On the flip side, we have guys at our gym who may not be monsters on the mat, but they possess a wealth of technical knowledge. Imo they are more deserving of that belt. They are great teachers and technicians which to me is more valuable than being able to tap everyone in class. I can't remember who said it, but it was something like " the most important thing you can do with jiu jitsu is give it to another."

9 years, brown.

A very inconsistent 2 years and a couple months -

1-stripe blue belt

Consistent for 5 years, just got purple

CC

i agree with mcm345. i had a student that had incredible talent. he got really good, and i tried to help him as much as i could socially (everyone else pretty much hated him). he ended up beind a total prick and fucked me over. i'm glad he has a new instructor and is in no way associated with me anymore. i completely regret ever recommending him for any promotion.

a little over 5yrs. brown belt.

Since 1994. I am a BJJ Black Belt but am pretty much done with training other than teaching a class here and there at the BJJ school in Sarasota Florida. I still love rolling around for exercise and teaching others. My days of competing are OVER and I don't miss that part of my life.

Just over 5 years and I'm a 3 stripe Purple Belt

started in '00 as a club, no formal teaching.

started seriously in fall of '02.

purple.

6 years blue.