How old were you when you got your black belt?

Im not registered and definitely wouldnt since id get screwed out of 9 years as black belt.

3 Likes

Carlos Gracie Jr. doesnā€™t own BJJ.

4 Likes

Was nearly 50 when I got mine and took 16.5 years under my instructor (but did my first seminar in 1993 LOL)

5 Likes

You old guys are awesome for getting your black belts. Total respect

3 Likes

I had a chance to in my mid 20s, but then her husband came home early so I didnā€™t get it.

2 Likes

That would be mešŸ˜€

1 Like

I looked up the International Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Federation and because i got my Black Belt in Los Angeles i donā€™t think i qualifyā€¦ what a bummerā€¦ im only ā€œNational Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Federationā€ i supposeā€¦ i feel like Jim Carey when he said ā€œSamson, Swenson, Samsonā€¦oh SAMSONITE!ā€ i only trained with Eddie Bravo and Jean Jacques and i guess being from Coos Bay, Oregon and all that since Jean Jacqueā€™s uncle founded Brazilian Jiu Jitsu I was goodā€¦ well shit. Now what?

1 Like

Got a bit confused with your post. Nbjjf is another federation that came up in los angeles area. I dont know if they have any reach beyond their region of la. Also im assuming you are gerald strebendt? Long time no see on these forums.

1 Like

I have been lurking for years but i was fighting a case where one of my students accused me of grabbing her butt in between classes i was teaching so after 2 years in prison and 3 years on an ankle monitor the Supreme Court threw the conviction out, took the entire thing off my record ,and then the DA dismissed the case entirely.

5 Likes

And dont be confused by my post. Its fake news. The whole Gracie jj thing is fake news. The best golfer in the world was black, the best rapper, white, and the best Gracie JiuJitsu guy who ever lived is a blonde haired guy who wont wear his giā€¦

2 Likes

2 Likes

I trained 5 times a week for a long time. It took me 26 years because I got run out of my school by a new owner in 2004. Never really had an instructor after that so I would just get promoted by people I previously trained with.

I kind of like that I got promoted under different organizations every time

2 Likes

I was 31 when i got mine, after 13 years of training. Started training when i was 18 in 1998.

Never registered with ibjjf. F that.

5 Likes

FWIWā€¦

The North American federation of the IBJJF is the USBJJF. So if you are in the U.S. you are directly under the USBJJF which itself belongs to the much larger IBJJF. When Americans say they are under the IBJJF, they are actually technically directly under the USBJJF.

There is also a completely separate international organization called the SJJIF. The NABJJF is their North American federation.

The IBJJF/USBJJF is a for profit organization.

The SJJIF/NABJJF is a non-profit organization, like most other worldwide amature sports organizations. Itā€™s based in Southern CA but have tournaments everywhere. It seems like they host more local tournaments than the IBJJF/USBJJF. Their tournaments are cheaper and black belts compete for free. Only thing I donā€™t like about them is you canā€™t coach from the edge of the mat, like in IBJJF/USBJJF tournaments. You have to yell from the cheap seats like everyone else.

5 Likes

1 Like

43 years old after 18 years of training.
Not registered with ibjjf.

3 Likes

I bet you did it inā€¦ 14 minutes!!!

3 Likes

Wait what???

Absolute court recordā€¦ free for the public to inquire aboutā€¦ call the Lane County District Attorneys office and ask them

Damn bro how did you get convicted if you didnā€™t do shit? Were they rough on you in the joint?