How was CONDIT/ELLENBERGER not a DRAW???

I was shocked that not 1 judge scored that first round 10-8.

I had it a draw as well.

if you scored rd. 1 10-8 for ellenberger, then you had to score rd. 3 10-8 for condit...or if it was decent judging, it would be 29-28 condit across the board, with the first going to ellenberger and the next 2 going to condit.

Condit definitely won the 2nd but the first could have easily been a 10-8.

On the other hand, despite the first round, I really felt that by the end Condit was winning handily and would have won by Pride scoring so the result didn't bother me.

So many things about this fight highlight why UFC scoring is so bad. The lack of 10-8 rounds and who is winning the fight at the end and through the majority of the fight not being a factor.

Also wtf at all the illegal blows to the back of Condits head but whenever Condit even came a little close to the back of Ellenberger, the ref was all over him. That may have been the most shots to the back of the head that I have seen in a fight in that first round.

fucking awesome fight

10-8 3rd??

WOW Jason Smith???

I'm still surprised Condit made it out of the first round.

Great fight.

scoring the 3rd 10-8 for Condit is an intersting point...

What about that big assed glob of grease in Condit's hair?

It was positioned in the perfect spot to help him slide out of two very tight guillotines.

I assume his trainer is Greg Jackson.

i was talking about this with my friend before the decision was annonced, i figured it would be scored 29-28 for condit even though it probably should of been a draw.  ii probably should have been a 10-8 first for ellenberger but it seems like the judges never want to score it that way.

" I watched this fight twice and I can't see how Candit won the 2nd.."

By being the only guy to land strikes, have a sub attempt, or pass guard in that round.

I will say that even though the first round should have been 10-8 or 10-7, thus a draw or win for Jake, I think it pretty obvious that Condit "won" the fight, if you know what I mean.

was a great fight and I don't really care for Condit but I think he won th fight. Ellenberger was cleary gassed in the early goings of round 2. I think Condit's sub attempts and returning fire in the first stop it from being a 10-8 round just my opinion.

To me a definition of a 10-8 round is from beginning to end you are damaging your opponent and never giving up the dominant position or having to go on defense. There is little exchange of "momentum" back and forth between fighters.

In this particular fight, it starts off with Condit throwing a kick to the body in which Ellenberger catches and fires a straight right hand which connects and puts Condit on his back. Condit seems unphased from the hit and ties Ellenberger in a tight, active guard. For the next 90 seconds, Ellenberger is not doing any damage. He is forced to be defensive because Condit is constantly threatening with a triangle and switching his hips looking for kimura, guillotine, or a sweep. Right there we have about 30% of the round where Condit (although on his back) is being the more agressive and active of the two fighters. They stand at about 3:30, and do not engage for 30 more secs.

At 3:00 they engage again and Ellenberger counters another leg kick with a straight right and then scores a knockdown which Condit is clearly hurt from. Ellenberger tries to slap on the darce, but cannot get good positioning and Condit is not in danger.

Condit stands and immediately fires two hard knees that land flush from the thai clinch. As the second knee lands, Ellenberger fires an overhand right that clips Condit and scores a second knockdown.

Ellenberger lands 3 or 4 hammerfists before Condit reverses the position and scores a takedown and lands in Ellenbergers half guard.

Condit immediately works for the mount, and shortly attains it. He lands 2 or 3 hard punches from the mount and as Ellenberger posts to stand, Condit goes for an armbar which he misses.

Condit immediately stands and Ellenberger tries for a guillotine from the clinch. He pulls Condit down into his half-guard to try and finish. Condit escapes the submission and works back into full guard. For 20 seconds Condit controls Ellenberger and lands multiple hard elbows from the bottom. All Ellenberger can do is protect his face and try to posture up and escape the guard. As Ellenberger stands to escape, Condit tries to set up a triangle which he misses. Ellenberger backs up and Condit immediately gets up.

With one minute remaining in the round Ellenberger flurries on Condit, ending with a nice head kick. He is just out of range and the kick does not land solid (looks like he gets Condit on the cheek with his toes).

The remainder of the round (:50) ends with both fighters taking a break. Condit stalks Ellenberger and both fighters land some decent shots to the body and head.

Personally I do not feel that round one deserved a 10-8. The momentum of the fight was going back and forth. Although Ellenberger did score two outstanding knockdowns, Condit was also able to gain mount and do his own damage as well as threaten with his own submission attempts. Condit was in no danger while in full guard, and was able to completely control Ellenberger in that position. You wont find any arguement from me that Ellenberger clearly won that round because of the two nice knockdowns, but he definetly did not earn a 10-8. I feel like the fight was scored correctly.

In round 3 Ellenberger had nothing left for Condit. It's hard to justify winning a fight (or even getting a draw) when you end how Ellenberger ended.

I have watched the fight 3 times now trying to figure out why everyone thinks Condit won. Round 1 10-8 Ellenberger, he dropped Condit on his forehead into a fetal position twice. Round 2 I give to Ellenberger it was close though. Round 3 was a round for Condit. He never came close to finishing the fight though so it is an easy 10-9.

Best case scenario for Condit Draw
I think Ellenberger won 29-27.

HwksWrstlng - I have watched the fight 3 times now trying to figure out why everyone thinks Condit won. Round 1 10-8 Ellenberger, he dropped Condit on his forehead into a fetal position twice. Round 2 I give to Ellenberger it was close though. Round 3 was a round for Condit. He never came close to finishing the fight though so it is an easy 10-9.

Best case scenario for Condit Draw
I think Ellenberger won 29-27.

Round two goes to Condit. Ellenberger got caught in a kimura and mounted twice.

HEALZYOUlaid it out perfectly. Round one wasn't 10-8, neither was round 3. Having said that, I don't see how someone could score rd.1, 10-8, without also scoring rd.3, 10-8...

Bobby Lupo -  That was the very definition of a 10-8 round. 2 almost KO's, submission attempts. If that's not 10-8 then I don't know what is

Completely agree and I also thought it was a draw, and I HATE draws and ties. Thats soccer shit but that was a draw.

On a side note, Ellenburger looked like the better fighter who just simply gassed first: BJ Penninitis...

I could see that fight being a draw, but considering that Ellenberger hit Condit directly in the back of the head multiple times in the first without being warned for it and also grabbed the fence to defend a kimura attempt he deserved to lose that fight anyway

orcus - 
I will say that even though the first round should have been 10-8 or 10-7, thus a draw or win for Jake, I think it pretty obvious that Condit "won" the fight, if you know what I mean.

And here in again, lies the problem with the 10 must esp in a 3 round fight.

If Ellenburger justifiably deserved a 10-8 in R1, I would say Condit won R2 and then won R3 by a pretty large margin as well. Not enough for a 10-8 but a strong 10-9 but there is no way to distinguish a strong 10-9 to a 10-9 that a fighter won simply by just edging out the round.

R1 10-8 Ellenburger
R2 10-9 Condit
R3 10-8.5 Condit??????

Just like Okami clearly dominated Franklin in R3 but perhaps not quite enough for a 10-8 where Rich clearly won R1 and 2 but without dominance or damage, etc. ;p

I had it a draw as well. Judges suck. Obviously.

I'm with you Justice. I had it 10-8/9-10/9-10 for a 28-28 total.