How would you solve the Nick Diaz issue?

I, like many other MMA fans and Nick Diaz fans, are watching one of the best welterweights sit on the sidelines. He's demanding a title shot and a half a million dollar purse,these are facts. To make that clear, he's demanding a 150% pay raise after losing two fights in a row. That's very unrealistic, but Nick Diaz is good for business.

I'm certain there's some wiggle room here. He's throwing out the $500,000 salary as a negotiating tool. So if I ran the UFC, here's what I'd do. I'd nullify his current deal and sign him to a three fight contract. I'd give him $100,000 to show and $300,000 to win. A win guarantees him a title shot, the same pay, but a PPV percentage. His first fight on the new contract, Anderson Silva.

If he loses to Silva or in his title shot, he goes all the way back to 80k/80k for his third fight. Now if he wins the title, he keeps the ppv percentage deal and gets 200k/200k.

I think that's fair. He wins, he gets paid. What's you better idea UG? Phone Post 3.0

I like the Anderson fight. Or matt brown for #1 contender fight. Phone Post 3.0

NakedCowboyOnMyRear -

Pay him. It's not like those cheap fucks can't afford it. and it's not even about paying Nick, it's about the precedent it will set.

Sorry, I should've clarified, I was looking for ideas from realistic people. Fitch was cut after one loss, Nick's riding a two fight losing streak. I'm sure it will take you a while, but try doing the math. Phone Post 3.0

I'd pay him but not give him the title shot till he beats one of the top guys,lawler,brown,Lombard,macdonald somebody like that. Phone Post 3.0

WolfTicketedByMartialArtsMixed - I'd pay him but not give him the title shot till he beats one of the top guys,lawler,brown,Lombard,macdonald somebody like that. Phone Post 3.0
Would you pay him the $500,000? He already makes $200,000, win or lose. I'm not against your idea, but I just can't see that huge of raise for losing two in a row. I think a small raise with an incentive based sliding pay scale would be fair. Phone Post 3.0

Nick has lost his " top welterwieght" status. He is however chael sonnen popular without doing all the work sonnen does. I say let him hype a fight, start a fight, build a fight. Ala Sonnen. Chael got title fights he hadn't earned via building hype. If Nick acted half interested half motivated, both him and Ufc could make alot of money Phone Post 3.0

angryguy - Nick has lost his " top welterwieght" status. He is however chael sonnen popular without doing all the work sonnen does. I say let him hype a fight, start a fight, build a fight. Ala Sonnen. Chael got title fights he hadn't earned via building hype. If Nick acted half interested half motivated, both him and Ufc could make alot of money Phone Post 3.0
That's a very good point, he wants big money but doesn't even understand the concepts of branding and marketing. I didn't even factor that into things. He'd be making more if he played the game. Excellent point.

I think that just makes me more frustrated as a fan though. He just has zero business sense, it kills me because he doesn't need to be Chael to be so much bigger than Chael. Phone Post 3.0

I'd love more real responses from people who understand business and marketing. Phone Post 3.0

Personally, I'd release them both and be done with the headache...

If they can make the money they want elsewhere, let them try...if they can't, leave the door at least cracked for a return...

Nobody needs to burn any bridges. ..

Feelz Good -
NakedCowboyOnMyRear -

Pay him. It's not like those cheap fucks can't afford it. and it's not even about paying Nick, it's about the precedent it will set.

Sorry, I should've clarified, I was looking for ideas from realistic people. Fitch was cut after one loss, Nick's riding a two fight losing streak. I'm sure it will take you a while, but try doing the math. Phone Post 3.0
Nike is 10x the draw fitch and shields are. You can check the numbers on the last few PPV events that featured Nick.

He is worth more than 500k. You put Diaz in a rematch with Lawler or give him a title shot you are getting at least 500k buys at 60 a pop.

You do the math Phone Post 3.0

125K/125K, not a penny more unless its a post fight or locker room bonus.

50K added to each side for every win. Phone Post 3.0

PrettyBoy -
Feelz Good -
NakedCowboyOnMyRear -

Nike is 10x the draw fitch and shields are. You can check the numbers on the last few PPV events that featured Nick.

He is worth more than 500k. You put Diaz in a rematch with Lawler or give him a title shot you are getting at least 500k buys at 60 a pop.

Really?? Coming off of two losses, and you want them to throw him into a number one contenders fight or a title shot?? Jesus, Diaz fans are amazingly delusional. I don't mean to word it so strongly, but any other fighter coming off of two wins would most definitely not be given either one of those things, why should Nick? He's not as big as people seem to think he is, especially with this big hiatus he's taking.

I say he needs to come back against Lombard or Brown, let them hype up the fight and set a goal of how many people watched based on how big his fans seem to think he is. If the PPV meets or exceeds that, then pay the man his money Phone Post 3.0

NakedCowboyOnMyRear -
Captain_Underpants - 
PrettyBoy -
Feelz Good -
NakedCowboyOnMyRear -

Really?? Coming off of two losses, and you want them to throw him into a number one contenders fight or a title shot?? Jesus, Diaz fans are amazingly delusional. I don't mean to word it so strongly, but any other fighter coming off of two wins would most definitely not be given either one of those things, why should Nick? He's not as big as people seem to think he is, especially with this big hiatus he's taking.

I say he needs to come back against Lombard or Brown, let them hype up the fight and set a goal of how many people watched based on how big his fans seem to think he is. If the PPV meets or exceeds that, then pay the man his money Phone Post 3.0

seeing as how Nick was given a title shot after a loss already, it's not that delusional. like I said, the UFC constantly does stupid shit that makes you scratch your head. they gave Chael a title shot against Jones for fucks sake.

I've heard this argument before. So because they've done it once, they should do it again? Everyone bitched and complained about Chael when he got the shot, yet people are clamoring for Diaz to get one. He already got gifted a title shot, he needs to earn the next one Phone Post 3.0

Make him fight for the previously agreed amount or let him retire. Its nicks choice

He doesnt deserve a pay rise and he certainly doesn't deserve a title shot. He hasnt beaten a single contender. I rarely agree with Dana White cause he's a prick but he's right. The world moves on Phone Post 3.0

I'd pay Nick 500k plus ppv points to rematch Robbie and/or Condit.

Outside GSP which welter has a large fanbase like Diaz ?

Ofvthe idea behind this is we must renegotiate the contract if do 200 to show 200 to win.

Personally I say fuck him, he signed a contract. Fight it out. Phone Post 3.0

Would you guys also give raises and title shots to the 500+ other fighters that would see this and decide to pull the same move and sit out until they all got the same thing too?  Or does Nick just get the special treatment?

Why don't you all try this at work today.  Call in and tell them you are not showing up until you get a raise that is more than double what you make and see how well it works for you.

I know we're all fight fans, but this idol worship and putting fighters up on pedestals is getting ridiculous.

If I ran the UFC, I wouldn't budge. Nick and Nate signed the contract, just like every other fighter on the roster. If I gave in that easy, everyone would be trying to do the Same thing. Phone Post 3.0

What the diaz bros have is something very special, there's no denying they have the X factor that can captivate the audience in and outside of the cage. Let's face it, out of all the personalities in the UFC the 2 which you can't find in any other sport are nick and nate and they happen to be brothers and the added underdog story. Gold mine.

Now if I was the UFC and wanted to make sure my ROI, I'd do what anyone else would and make them work. If they want a big pay day they'd better be ready for a fuck tonne of press/media. I'd have a film crew following them, I'd be getting them in on any tv show/podcast to get more coverage and eyes on them and I'd make sure that there next fight was a top 5 fighter. All the UFC needs is to make sure they get there money from promoting these guys and there's no doubt they will if they put the money behind them. Is it biased and unfair towards other fighters? Yeah it is, but they don't have the character to turn press conferences into events either. Phone Post 3.0

If I was Dana/Zuffa I'd simply tell both the Diaz's:

"Call me when you're done sulking and ready to honour your contracts".

Leave it up to them.

Meanwhile they can watch their boy Melendez rake in dat fat Cheddar :) Phone Post 3.0