Hughes vs GSP II Rescheduled?

St. Pierre-Hughes 3? Not So Fast

By Loretta Hunt

Just twenty-four hours after announcing that newly-crowned UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre would defend his title in his native Montreal on April 7 against the man he'd just wrested the belt from, UFC president Dana White wasn't so sure the mega match would happen then himself.

"I'm hearing word back that [Matt] Hughes might want to wait," White told the press Wednesday following the highly-successful UFC Fight Night, held at the Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in San Diego, California.

In the last week, the word has become more definitive.

"After discussing the future with Matt, it was agreed that it would be in his best interests to take a fight in between a rematch with St. Pierre," Hughes' longtime manager Monte Cox said this morning. "This way, he would have more time to train specific skills that would give him a better chance at winning back the title."

Cox said Hughes would prefer to fight on March 3's UFC 68 card in Columbus, Ohio, a bit closer to his Illinois farm roots, then take the rubber match with St. Pierre at a later time. Champion St. Pierre is scheduled to face "The Ultimate Fighter" season four winner Matt Serra at UFC 67 in Las Vegas on Feb. 3.

"We're going to Montreal in April no matter what," reinforced White of the promotion's Northern debut, suggesting last week that Hughes could match up with undefeated welterweight contender Diego Sanchez next.

Hughes' manager Cox acknowledged that talks are still ongoing. Both White and St. Pierre were initially unavailable for comment today.

Source: thefightnetwork.com

That makes no sense. If they're still going to Montreal, you have to assume GSP will be fighting. If Hughes and Diego are going to fight each other, who is GSP gonna fight? It should be GSP/Diego in April, IMO.

if hughes doesnt want the fight it will probably be Diego/GSP in montreal

IMO, Hughes should fight Fitch or Koscheck and give Diego the title shot.

I don't think this looks too good for Hughes. Seems like he might be a little scared of GSP's riddum.

It should be Hughes/Karo and GSP/Diego in April. Then if Hughes and GSP both win, they could complete the trilogy. Hell, it creates an interesting title matchup down the road no matter who wins.

Maybe GSP vs. BJ Penn again. I doubt it considering BJ is moving down to lightweight though. Maybe Jon Fitch.

Diego should definitely get the shot.

Hughes is avoiding the Canadian beatdown by a hometown hero in Canada. He doesn't want to be on the bad end of that deal. Can't say I blame him there. Who wants to be laying on the mat while hearing 30,000 Canadians cheer for your absolute destruction? Not me. Apparently not Matt either.

Hughes v Diego, BJ v Karo and GSP v Serra, should be the next match ups.

I like GSP/Diego, Hughes/Kos, and Fitch/Karo as everyone's next match.

The Canadian show is the same night as the Quad Cities IFL show as well.

Not saying that had anything to do with it, but it is food for though.

I could see Matt wanting another fight especially in COlumbus where I could see a lot of Team Extreme guys fighting. That would be a sweet co main event, with both Matt and Rich fighting.

I am going to be at that show for sure.

TBidness

""After discussing the future with Matt, it was agreed that it would be in his best interests to take a fight in between a rematch with St. Pierre," Hughes' longtime manager Monte Cox said this morning. "This way, he would have more time to train specific skills that would give him a better chance at winning back the title."

I knew it...Hughes does not want any piece of GSP right now...

It would be one thing if Hughes was in a close matchup, but he got absolutely destroyed...I'm glad to see Hughes not let his ego get in the way...

BJ is dropping to 155 to rematch Pulver. We already know GSP is fighting Serra in February, but if the April card is in Montreal you can bet he'll be fighting again.

"Maybe GSP vs. BJ Penn again"

Penn is 4 solid wins at 170 away from deserving another chance at the belt.

Matt fears da riddum IMO.

I think this is a smart move. Fighters should take a tune up fight before they try and rematch a guy that just schooled them. Why keep throwing yourself against a brick wall?

"Hometown advantage. It's real - from the momentum to the judges prejudices. Hughes wants no part of it. Smart move on his part."

then he should get no shot. St Pierre has fought him in the US twice, has worked his way from being a guy who at first wasn't even given a chance to say a word without being booed by drunk American rednecks the first time they fought. Now St Pierre has the belt, Hughes if he wants another crack should have to fight for it in the champs backyard for once in his career. it's not like he has to make a career fighting in a different country like St Pierre is having to do in the US, learning a new language and how to kiss American public ass for it. one fuckin fight, a title shot he should be thankful for. To be unable to do that is pathetic.

This is nuts. GSP is going to fight in Montreal. There's no way he's not going to. But if Hughes isn't going to fight him, then who is? If they're putting up Diego vs Matt in March, then it won't be Diego. Who does that leave? Koscheck?

Personally, I'd like to see GSP vs Jake Shields. This would be an awesome fight in my opinion, and definitely wouldn't be a letdown to the hometown crowd.

Shields/GSP KO 1 for Georges, but come on, lets get real. A guy should make his UFC debut before he gets a title shot.