Hugo Duarte: Luta Livre

I like how you can take your training to a “new level” by learning in the convenience of your own home.

There was a huge shitstorm about “piracy” when VCR’s first became commercially available, the networks and movie studios fought long and hard to try and squash them, all the way to the supreme court. The martial arts establishment wasn’t happy either as they feared it would be the death of brick & mortar dojo, they correctly deduced that with the coming of the home video recorder, instructionals would appear shortly in their wake.

It wasn’t just VHS. Yes, before the days of Napster, Limewire, and Youtube, your vinyl LP’s would often has this insert.
Home_taping_is_killing_music

I’m aware my stream of consciousness babble had nothing to do menor

Circa 1995.One of the RAREST sets ever produced. I’ve never seen another copy surface. You think a set like this comes this close to getting caught and ever sticks its head out again? If it comes up for anything ever again, it will just be to get rid of me for exposing it, after that… my guess is you’ll never hear from it again. The greatest trick bushi-no-te ever pulled was convincing the world it didn’t exist. And then like that…… it was gone. Nobody ever really believed bushi no te existed. Nobody ever knew anybody that ever actually saw them. You never knew; that was their power. They became a myth, a spook story that BJJ guys told their kids at night, “try that donkey guard bullshit and the bushi no te will burn you down”. I got these from the steppa.

1 Like

Look, I know Okinawan sh!t and that is some SERIOUSLY legit Okinawan sh!t…

I feel like i’m in Tomari or Naha village watching two ancient Bushi practicing unarmed ground grappling next to a rice paddy!

Not anything at all like that stupid Brazilian Jiu Jitsu nonsense.

1 Like

they had to have been tied in with ishin ryu, i’ve heard that term used in regards to ishin ryu and NJ was an ishin stronghold with gary alexander and don nagle, among others

Probably… either way, the instructor’s English is VERY good for someone from Okinawa!

1 Like

Especially since he looks like a Puerto rican okinawan

The legendary set that launched a million insults. Circa 1995. They’re not really that bad, he should have just left the brazilian/japanese thing off and let it stand on its own. It would have immediately risen to the top of the “american jiujitsu” heap, just by the virtue of less insanity per serving alone.

Is this the one that supposedly had a third grade dance recital going on in the background? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Nope. Paul was at the top of the heap in regards to production quality even then. That sounds familiar though, i think it was a matt furey tape.

1 Like

Another Youtube suggested video, an interesting interview with Carlson that looks to be from the mid to late 90’s, when asked about the best vale tudo fighter in the family he says it was his uncle george. Uploaded by Matheus Moraes Schweitzer

1 Like

From the halls of the mountain king, the legendary Renzoku jujitsu. This is just nonsensical kenpo without the slaps. They even use rediculous kenpo names for the techniques. I’ve wanted to see one of these for a long time and they do not disappoint!!

So come in all you jesters
Enter all you fools
Sit down no-no
Ogre, ghouls
Trip the light fantastic
Dance the swivel hips
Coming to conclusion
Button up your lips

1 Like

I bought this gem from the steppa

This is what I like to call “Invisible” Renzoku jiu jitsu.

What we’re actually seeing here are three distinct techniques:

1. Charging Bull (take down to mount)
  2. Ringing the Bull (guillotine counter to Charging Bull)
  3. Hooked Retreat (take down counter to Ringing the Bull)

1 Like

Grandmaster Cozzat’s takedowns make royce gracie look like dave schultz

2 Likes

The techniques, the technique names, the video transitions, the apathetic delivery of the instruction, the constant checking that the ol’ rug is still glued on.

And this is 1997!

1 Like

I was sort of chuckling that these were advertised as “new!” systems as if that’s some sort of virtue but that’s exactly what everyone is trying to do today as well.

Ya either tell them it’s ancient or it’s brand spankin’ I guess.

1 Like

The halls of the mountain king was the fertile crescent for creative martial innovation. At one point, it was spawning a new style every month. A veritable “brain trust”, if you will. Giants walked the earth in those days, my friend.