Hugo Duarte: Luta Livre

Also i forgot to mention that black belt magazine has a channel on jungo, with 1970’s chop sockie movies, some panther instructionals, events and interviews. Jungo was started by george chung, who was a tkd guy and big name in the 1980’s open tournament scene. He was banging cynthia rothrock throughout the 80’s also. Anywho, well worth checking out. Shaolin’s videos are uploaded there and are pretty damn good.

1 Like

He’s the one who inspired me to wear pegged sweatpants instead of gi pants. A tradition that still survives at the Shendokan.

1 Like

I must admit, GGM Cozatt was the impetus for my own stirrup pants phase. Once in the stirrup pants, i used to go dashing. I’ve also been known to sport the extreme baggy baggies with kanji all over them too, never did manage to acquire the american flag baggies with matching top though. The american flag baggy ensemble plus a pair of blueblocker wraparound shades would have the trim throwing themselves at the wearers feet whilst purring, “take me!!”

Desperately seeking Susan(Anton) and these,

Circa 1997: Walt Lysak used to host these in taxachusetts, this is the first and consists of short 15-30 minute seminars by Joe Lewis, Dan Severn, Tony Blauer, Michael “Hair!” Depasquale jr, Walt “my eyes!!” Lysak, Marco Lala, Keith Hackney and Maurice Smith. Also contains some footage of what appears to be a canadian sambo soirée with Andrei Sosnovskikh demonstrating, along with the systema nut vlad and gary goodrich in some no-gi matches. Oleg Taktarov is also in attendance. These you don’t see every day. I purchased this from the steppa. Unfortunately it’s a bootleg, but these were never produced commercially anyway, so the quality wasn’t the best to begin with.

2 Likes

Awesome.

1 Like

WHO is the shaved headed Black guy competing in the submission tournament a the the end of the tape? It’s right after Moe Smith is speaking, but it doesn’t look like him. It looks like Gary Goodridge. Hard to tell from the video.

He chokes out a guys w/ a 10 finger guillotine and an arm-in Guillotine.

It’s gotta be Moe Smith, guess.

1 Like

it’s goodridge, if that big bastard gets ahold of your head, it’s trouble. That’s an interesting tape. the next year had the shamrocks and quite a few other high profile fighters, who knows if that one will ever surface. I still prowl the forgotten corners of the ocean of discontent, harpoon at the ready for whatever particular white whale that may surface, so you never can tell though.

How about that fucking renzoku jiujitsu(and i use the word jiujitsu lightly), Jesus H. Christ they’re crazy as shit house rats, with GM Cozatts’ “techniques” and that old goggly eyed bastards’ introductions. What’s even nuttier is if you go to their website, there are probably 100 blackbelts of renzoku listed

Is that the Michael DePasquale family style of “jujitsu”?

2 Likes

i think it’s influenced by it, since GM Cozatt list a kyu rank in it. It’s like if you had despaquale jj and added american kenpo for the perfect shitstorm

Jesus, things have about ground to a halt since the board changeover. I got about a hundred views a day for years and now it’s plummeted to around 10. The bjj board itself will go an entire day with no new posts period. This was unheard of prior to the switch over.

I used to have that Renzuko set. Either I rented it from Goldstar Video OR I got it in a bundle when tape trading. Can’t remember.

It’s gloriously bad.

1 Like

I don’t think goldstar had it, i would have rented that beast for sure. Billy sold out to someone in KC and i haven’t rented anything since. I’ve thought about making an offer for his entire vhs library since they’ve gone to dvd exclusively, depends on if he still has the original boxes, i have a feeling he pitched them because my rentals always came in the generic black plastic clamshells, never in the original boxes

1 Like

DePasquale’s hair deserves its own thread, ROFL

1 Like

Yes, I’ve noticed a huge drop-off in views over in the Kakutogi thread…there are a few perks to the switchover, but viewership has taken a nosedive.

I think we lost about 3/4 of the traffic

Rumor has it that after a dip in the settling pond of a new joisey superfund site, Mdp jr’s toupee has gained sentience and is now the one calling the shots

Circa 2010. One half of andreh “the armenian arthropod” Anderson’s closed guard tape. Dr dreh was a renaissance man, studying with gene/gokor/oleg before moving on to rey diogo and bjj. He even studied california dreamin’ and the death art of silat, with the “death walker” mama cass in reseda. This is well worth picking up if you can find it, produced by some outfit known as “it’s not ballet”.

3 Likes

That was/is a great instructional.

1 Like