Hugo Duarte: Luta Livre

yep, got that one

Tape 4 from the secrets of the octagon set.

1 Like

skkrocks - 
shen -
skkrocks -
de braco -

Luta Livre Spirit 2 : Roberto Leitao.  Stan and Wladek Zbyszko were major influences on the development of luta livre

Training with Leitão one morning, having no idea who he was, is still my all time favorite day of training I've ever had. Just brilliant, and hilarious Phone Post 3.0

I'd love to hear more about that.

So I was visiting Nova União with my first instructor and a buddy in the summer of 2005. I was still on my collegiate sleep schedule and having a hard time getting up before 10 on most of the days we were there, so one day my buddy comes back from an early morning session at NU and is raving about 1) training with the Turkish national wrestling team and 2) some really old dude that was running the show and showing him all of this mind blowing stuff. So naturally I have to check this out, so I suck it up and roll out of bed at 6:30 the next morning and hop on the subway. We get to NU, and sure enough, the old man is there, pretty much by himself. My instructor had tagged along as well, as pedernieras had told him about Leitão and referred to him as both the father of Luta Livre and the King of leg locks. So anyway, Leitão was really excited that anybody was there, let alone two gringos, and jumped right into showing us how he liked to attack guards, catching us with the nastiest wrist and foot locks my blue belt self had ever seen. His English made him sound like yoda to me whenever he would get really animated while explaining something which added to the fun. My buddy had never seen empire or Jedi though so it was completely lost on him. Most of the time was spent just working on principles.... How small movements expose vulnerabilities and how attacking the head and neck can disrupt nerve pathways to the limbs making them weaker and easier to isolate. It was pretty mind blowing stuff to me at the time, and even my instructor was really impressed. He then went on to tell us a bit about his educational background and a story about tapping Kevin randleman that included a hilarious impression of mark Coleman. I ended up training with Leitão every chance I got, which I think was 4-5 more times when I went back in 2008. We still chat on Facebook once in awhile. Such a cool dude, and he just lost his wife recently. Phone Post 3.0

What red-blooded american has never seen Jedi?

CJJScout - 
skkrocks - 
shen -
skkrocks -
de braco -

Luta Livre Spirit 2 : Roberto Leitao.  Stan and Wladek Zbyszko were major influences on the development of luta livre

Training with Leitão one morning, having no idea who he was, is still my all time favorite day of training I've ever had. Just brilliant, and hilarious Phone Post 3.0

I'd love to hear more about that.

So I was visiting Nova União with my first instructor and a buddy in the summer of 2005. I was still on my collegiate sleep schedule and having a hard time getting up before 10 on most of the days we were there, so one day my buddy comes back from an early morning session at NU and is raving about 1) training with the Turkish national wrestling team and 2) some really old dude that was running the show and showing him all of this mind blowing stuff. So naturally I have to check this out, so I suck it up and roll out of bed at 6:30 the next morning and hop on the subway. We get to NU, and sure enough, the old man is there, pretty much by himself. My instructor had tagged along as well, as pedernieras had told him about Leitão and referred to him as both the father of Luta Livre and the King of leg locks. So anyway, Leitão was really excited that anybody was there, let alone two gringos, and jumped right into showing us how he liked to attack guards, catching us with the nastiest wrist and foot locks my blue belt self had ever seen. His English made him sound like yoda to me whenever he would get really animated while explaining something which added to the fun. My buddy had never seen empire or Jedi though so it was completely lost on him. Most of the time was spent just working on principles.... How small movements expose vulnerabilities and how attacking the head and neck can disrupt nerve pathways to the limbs making them weaker and easier to isolate. It was pretty mind blowing stuff to me at the time, and even my instructor was really impressed. He then went on to tell us a bit about his educational background and a story about tapping Kevin randleman that included a hilarious impression of mark Coleman. I ended up training with Leitão every chance I got, which I think was 4-5 more times when I went back in 2008. We still chat on Facebook once in awhile. Such a cool dude, and he just lost his wife recently. Phone Post 3.0

What red-blooded american has never seen Jedi?

Me.

Hugo Duarte Luta Livre #8, Advanced Sweeps.

1998-4

Nick Starks Sambo series, originally from 96'.These were repackaged into two tapes by Palladin Press when they began distributing them in 98'.

1996-8-1.  I toyed with the idea of taking that cruise.

nowaydo, gotta watch it!

Ruas Vale Tudo fight strategy from 96' .  This was one of, if not the first panther ad and the price had already dropped $100.  After a few more months they would be at standard panther prices.

^The ad was from 1996-8-1

Kids, please note the prices --from 20 years ago-- if you think BJJ is "expensive" today. It was just sheer robbery back then.

1 Like

de braco -

Hugo Duarte Luta Livre #8, Advanced Sweeps.

1998-4

OK, just watched this for the first time...

I have to say, the nuance and subtlety of Hugo's Sweep instruction is absolutely astounding!

MIND BLOWN!!!!!!

BTW, this is an "Advanced Sweeps" tape,  so unless you are very-high level grappler, I would probably stick to a basics sweep tape. Not trying to be a d!ck, but you seriously just wouldn't even understand the material. I know I had a lot of trouble comprehending much of what I was seeing on screen.But, what  I did understand wasn't "gold"... it was more like platinum.

shen -

Kids, please note the prices --from 20 years ago-- if you think BJJ is "expensive" today. It was just sheer robbery back then.

I've wasted enough money for a vacation to tahaiti and a rhine river cruise back to back. What's insane is 90% of my tapes have never been viewed. It was just the excitement of getting the crazy things, i'd open the box, watch one or rarely, two tapes, say "meh", and begin pouring over the advertisements for the next set to buy, fretting over and comparing ads and languishing in indecision for a while before starting the process all over again.

Back in the day, there was nothing better than getting a new copy of Grappling Magazine & reading all the advertorials.

Vol 3 of the Carlson Gracie Jr black belt series, the first of two tapes on purple belt.  Circa 1997.

Looking for these. Some that got away.

^ I know that guy.

Does he have any of those videos?  Those things are the Kaiser Souze of instructional tapes.  They showed themselves once, and then like "that", they were gone.

I've suffered mental anguish over not getting those tapes for almost 20 years now. If only i'd gotten those tapes then maybe my life would have turned out better. Who knows what kind of wheels would have been set in motion with those tapes in my possesion.

The last tape of the Carlson Gracie Jr set from Ultimate Imports/Panther, circa 1997. I bought these from panther in 99 i believe,  when all 12 tapes were on sale for $199 including shipping. The first volume of the black belt tapes was broken so i made sure to check the rest, making this set one of the only ones that i've watched a majority of the tapes. I returned the defective tape to panther and it took 4 months to get a replacement. The replacement they sent was a Erle Blijd wushu video :(

de braco - 

Does he have any of those videos?  Those things are the Kaiser Souze of instructional tapes.  They showed themselves once, and then like "that", they were gone.

I've suffered mental anguish over not getting those tapes for almost 20 years now. If only i'd gotten those tapes then maybe my life would have turned out better. Who knows what kind of wheels would have been set in motion with those tapes in my possesion.

I don't know for sure, but I would bet that he does not. I've never seen them myself.

A brilliant and sentimental thread. But...acknowledging how much money I wasted.