i been told ,i wish i would have stayed and got my

bb from torrance by more then a few bb's,and yes many that have left have come back.

ok??? Phone Post

They don't give black belts to the grammar impaired.

12 -  bb from torrance by more then a few bb's,and yes many that have left have come back.

Interesting, though given the standards/success of Gracie Torrance over the years I'm really not surprised.

But I'd be curious to know if this sentiment has increased over time(as bjj has evolved and sport bjj has become more prominent) or has it be steadily consistent?

I wonder if it's possible or will one day be possible to get black belts from multiple instructors in BJJ/GJJ...like academics can have PHD's from various universities.  You could be a black belt under a particular instructor/association that focuses mostly on sport BJJ, and not have the same depth of expertise in self defense as one who trains at a GJJ school, for example (and vice versa).  It seems wrong that it one had the time and the dedication, that one couldn't achieve multiple black belts under multiple instructors if there were not conflicts of interests as far as competition goes. (Insert BJJ drama and politics...here!)

JRockwell -  I wonder if it's possible or will one day be possible to get black belts from multiple instructors in BJJ/GJJ...like academics can have PHD's from various universities.  You could be a black belt under a particular instructor/association that focuses mostly on sport BJJ, and not have the same depth of expertise in self defense as one who trains at a GJJ school, for example (and vice versa).  It seems wrong that it one had the time and the dedication, that one couldn't achieve multiple black belts under multiple instructors if there were not conflicts of interests as far as competition goes. (Insert BJJ drama and politics...here!)

Of course its possible.

Diego Sanchez started over at white belt with Saulo.

(though he obviously moved up faster, he re earned each belt from Saulo)

^ Wasnt Diego ranked in Jackson's Guidojutsu not BJJ/GJJ so that is why he started over? They are very different.

graciesrule - ^ Wasnt Diego ranked in Jackson's Guidojutsu not BJJ/GJJ so that is why he started over? They are very different.

yea i dont think jackson claims or trains that stuff anymore iirc haha

graciesrule - ^ Wasnt Diego ranked in Jackson's Guidojutsu not BJJ/GJJ so that is why he started over? They are very different.

That's my understanding as well. Phone Post

I'm sure there are black belts who would say that now. I doubt, however, that the same thing was being said 5-6 years ago. It appears that there are a lot of very positive changes made, the most notably Ryron and Rener taking over. I do believe that the Gracie Academy hid details and withheld techniques from students. The level of Ryron and Rener's instruction is far greater than their own father's. That is saying a lot because Rorian is/was a very good instructor.

12SixElbow - 
JRockwell -  I wonder if it's possible or will one day be possible to get black belts from multiple instructors in BJJ/GJJ...like academics can have PHD's from various universities.  You could be a black belt under a particular instructor/association that focuses mostly on sport BJJ, and not have the same depth of expertise in self defense as one who trains at a GJJ school, for example (and vice versa).  It seems wrong that it one had the time and the dedication, that one couldn't achieve multiple black belts under multiple instructors if there were not conflicts of interests as far as competition goes. (Insert BJJ drama and politics...here!)

Of course its possible.

Diego Sanchez started over at white belt with Saulo.
(though he obviously moved up faster, he re earned each belt from Saulo)

Diego never earned any belts before that...

he did not even own a gi.

you dont need belts when you dont wear a gi.

^ Wasnt Diego ranked in Jackson's Guidojutsu not BJJ/GJJ so that is why he started over? They are very different. "

No, that is not the reason. The reason is that Sauo makes EVERYONE start at white belt at his academy, regardless of affiliation or rank.

I had a story related to me recently about Crezio de Souza, Dan Hendersons 1st MMA opponent. Crezio had earned his blackbelt at his fathers academy in suburban Petropolis when he went to Rio to train at Carlsons. Carlson told him he could keep his blackbelt if he could pass one of his purples belts guard. That purple belt was De la Riva, Crezio could not pass, gave up his black and went on to earn his blackbelt from Carlson later.

In the interview after his last fight, Stephan Bonner talked about how he was a Carlson BB, but had been training recently in Vegas and had earned his BB from Sergio Penha.

Chango

Miguel Torres did the same thing. He got his black belt from Carlson Sr. and demoted himself when he started training with Drysdale.

"No, that is not the reason. The reason is that Saulo makes EVERYONE start at white belt at his academy, regardless of affiliation or rank. "

I don't think Tom Oberhue from SBG and Guillobel from Machado had to do this.

I can understand with some, but If I had a BB from Carlson there is no FUCKING WAY I would demote myself to train with ANYONE!!!

Chango

dokomoy - Miguel Torres did the same thing. He got his black belt from Carlson Sr. and demoted himself when he started training with Drysdale.

this never made snse to me.

raleigh - 
dokomoy - Miguel Torres did the same thing. He got his black belt from Carlson Sr. and demoted himself when he started training with Drysdale.

this never made snse to me.

he got it from jr, not sr