I love and hate jiu jitsu

Does anyone feel me? Can anyone relate?

5 Likes

I can relate, but not in the same way.

I feel like my secret club is full of people who annoy the fuck out of me. Twenty-five years ago I liked everyone I trained with, now it’s like there’s a lot of people I wouldn’t want to hang out with in the real world.

Also, the being old and broken part.

14 Likes

Love it as I’ve always loved the game and no form of exercise is as much fun.
Hate it as my old ass should be doing yoga and stop wrecking myself.

2 Likes

I love training, my old friends who still train, our history, the lifestyle and learning new techniques.

I hate the young Danaher wannabe try hards, podcasts by guys who haven’t done shit trying to reinvent the wheel, the over the top WWE bullshit promotion of grappling events, scissor jiu-jitsu and that we’ve lost some of our “fuck you” toughness. Most of all I had this new trend of arrogant BJJ dorks.

7 Likes

I love it! Every session is the highlight of my day!

That sounds like a “you” problem!

I hate the direction the sport is going…I wish it were more about fighting/self defense. I don’t train much anymore tho

2 Likes

"Bro… I was into pickleball when it was f-ing PICKLEBALL! --Ya feel me…?

Now, all these fancy-ass paddles and technique dorks who think they know all about how to play in the Kitchen cuz they watched a couple videos.

… Don’t make me laugh."

5 Likes

Sport pickleball is ruining pickleball.

5 Likes

Still obsessed with it but doesn’t care about the community

You would probably hate my pickle ball guard then. What a shame.

1 Like

I haven’t done jiu jitsu in a couple years aside from when I was garage wrestling drunk a few weeks ago. I was surprised at just how much I remembered in terms of keeping heavy contact and finding angles. But anyway my neck is shot and I really got tired of the infections and injuries. I could never get jiu jitsu working in real fights but never had a problem getting muay thai working, so I stopped bjj altogether. I do miss jiu jitsu but I also feel like I wasted so much time in class on things that I would never want to use in real life. I think it teaches some real bad habits and if you’re going to do it for anything other than competition or socialization you should be doing it in the context of an MMA class where punches are involved. Me, I’d rather be on my feet. If there’s anything I think should be prioritized in jiu jitsu, its staying on or getting back to your feet.

1 Like

indeed.

To me Jiujitsu has the potential to be the best all-rounder martial art…that faceplants into concrete badly due to change in demograhics?..or increased popularity?

Whatever, it went from something we trained for its usefulness to something I mostly have no interest in. I just use it to occasionally keep some stuff tuned up and to play around with some stuff that people are interested in learning from me.

I like it as once you get a basic understanding , you’re a shark in the water where everyone else is drowning. Chris Hauter taught me that. It doesn’t take long to reach that level as well (with due diligence of course). Anything more ,you’re just learning to mostly fight other BJJ people.

What I don’t like is the culture of bjj. They’re (most) are modern day Xfit and vegans, constantly talking about bjj even when no one cares. Moreover they tend to think it’s the pinacle of Martial arts.
My friends overweight wife learned monkey style boxing and when students asked about others arts I’m comparison, he completely rejected the idea of they’re usefulness.

What followed is burned into my mind. She’s about 185 at the time, 5 6. He’s 6 3, kinda of chubby but 3rd degree BJJ. He asked her to come up for a demonstration, she said no it’s a bad idea, I’m not the one who you should use. This incensed him and despite repeated refusals, she went up.
He tried to take her down a few times with no luck. Finally he got a hold of her and she rocked rocked him with a slip and hook to the jaw. Eyes rolled up, arms flailed like a drowning man. I smiled, it was my last lesson I went to.

1 Like

I think you’re using the term “all-rounder” wrong. You probably meant “overall” which I would still disagree with but at least there’s an argument.

yes…better term for what I mean. Which is that it can provide the a skillset that is learnable and broad, and can appealto the most people.

On an open mat without strikes or weapons, I’d agree. When you trip over a curb and some juicehead has 8" of height on you and a knife in his pocket, its a different situation.

Jiu jitsu is good for that exact moment you need jiu jitsu. All of the violence has been sucked out of it. It’s got no range awareness, it’s not complete and it’s not taught properly in most schools.

3 Likes

You mean Crazy Monkey structure?

THATS GOOD STUFF!

So an overweight chick beat up a 6’3” dude who’s been doing BJJ for roughly 15yrs with Kung Fu?

Lying Season 4 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Lol no, it’s called monkey style boxing because the way it looks while defending. Look it up, Rodney king from South Africa teaches this stuff.