I pulled 715 today!

"So why are wew posting this here btw?

Care to tell us about your 12inch cack while were bragging? lol Might as well before the 500# benchers start posting."

LOL. I am posting this here to see if others are taking a power-based approach to MMA.

My takedowns suck because I only to BJJ, so I am powerlifting to aid my takedowns.

powerlifted and competed a few years back. Did I get stronger? Yup. Did it help my takedowns? Nope. Did it help my bjj in general? Not really.

Who "wins" in bjj isn't determined only by who's stronger, there's a number of other things to consider.

""Accoring to the American Powerlifting Assocation's website the drug tested record for the 220 lbs weight class is 700 pounds, 780 for non tested. So... maybe not."

from TX mma'er "With clean form I can probably do around 600."

In a competition you can round your back (although in the long run you'll probably be better off if you don't do that). If you put on a DL suit you'd hit 745 fairly easily, I bet.

"If you put on a DL suit you'd hit 745 fairly easily, I bet."

Thanks bro. I am going to invest in a DL suit here in the near future.

To your post - taking a power approach to BJJ. Respectfully, I'm not sure if I agree with that approach.

Don't get me wrong - it might just be a matter of semantics (winning NOW vs. getting better).

With strength comes success in grappling matches - for sure. Let's face it - it's hard to beat someone who is far stronger than you. And at 210 you'll be stronger than most 270 pounders - so you'll walk through a LOT of BJJ players.

My guess is you already manhandle many (if not most) blue belts and frustrate many (if not most) purple belts (assuming you at least have some BJJ background to speak of). (If you are beating the purples, then you may want to inspect the legitimacy of that school).

But my guess (and it's only a guess - but based on what I've seen by two other powerlifting "champs" doing BJJ) if you only rely on strength then guys your weight will eventually beat you (especially your training partners that begin to know your game). And in a competition, if you rely only on strength, you'll not be able to finish a match and your cardio could end you (if not your opponents technique approach to BJJ).

My meaningless 2 cents.

LOL @ you powerlifting and then getting into striking.

Polish - actually he didn't initially do a good job describing his "half-squat" at 685.

His "half-squat" is pretty close to a competition-accepted squat (mid-thigh breaking parallel with the floor), as opposed to all those odd dudes loading up the squat rack and just bending their knees.

With relatively long-arms and short-legs those DL-Squat-Bench ratios look about right.

IMO.

I don't see how you could deadlift more than twice what you squat. Are you talking stiff-legged deadlifts?

Everyone on the Underground are world class powerlifters who find the time to Ground train and kickbox while holding down high paying jobs.

""But for punching power it doesn't come from big muscles," this may be
a stupid question then, but why do most boxers have big Lats then?"

Muscles are not a bad thing haha and of course you need them to throw a
punch. Punching power comes from mass and speed. Technique is what
helps you to MAXIMIZE your punching power potential. Those boxers use
proper technique which enables them to maximize the muscle that they
have. There are huge body builders who can pack a punch, but are not
maximizing their body weight/muscles etc. This is what I meant. So if
you want to lift go right ahead, but that alone will not ensure a powerful
punch though it wouldn't hurt. Learning how to throw a proper jab/
cross/hook will do more for your punch then hard lifting imo. Hope this
makes some sense.

lol @ the controvery

Anyway, you may be able to bench 335 but you won't be able to push 226 off of you when I have you mounted, bitch!!11111111111111111

That is a ton of weight you should be really happy. Congrats man.

What does only practicing bjj have to do with your takedowns sucking? Might want to look at where you are practicing.

Keep in mind fellas that this is the same douchbag that was on here bragging about "owning" a kickboxer.....

...... in grappling, no less.

Maybe instead of working straight power, you should hit the heavy bag for a while so you don't hit like a "huffy" little girl......

"LOL. I am posting this here to see if others are taking a power-based approach to MMA.

My takedowns suck because I only to BJJ, so I am powerlifting to aid my takedowns."

So why don't you start training wrestling or judo. That will improve your takedowns more than powerlifting will.

I don't understand why people think that 715 is so unimaginable.

I'm not saying it is an easy task or that anybody can do it - I'm just saying that if you go to any powerlifting meet (a good sized meet based in a medium-to-large city) you are going to find pulls at 700.

It's not unimaginable that one of those guys might be an MMA fan and found their way to this forum.

Jealous much?

lol ^ pwned!

I've always powerlifted when I was wrestling and I always found it to be an advantage. Most guys came off the mats saying "you were the strongest guy I ever went against" win or lose. All things being equal, it is an advantage to be stronger than the opponent.

While the power won't help with puching or kicking, when there is a scramble, it is an enormous advantage.

actually, the power will help with both punching and kicking.

since you lift more than me im gonna be all bitchy

sounds like your more interested in powerlifting than developing strength

ok enough with the bitterness, nice lifts