If Alex Pereira can win the HW title, does that make him the MMA GOAT?

Chael says YES!

He’d be the first true triple champ!

2 Likes

Whenever Chael says something it’s the opposite of true and he says it just to cause a stir and get clicks ($).

No chance for Alex.

Guy is a kickboxer.

Exciting feat if he does it, for sure. But he got flatlined in his first title defence and only just had a successful one.

You don’t walk in and win a few fights and then get called the greatest because 3 of those fights happened to be for different titles.

How many boxers have titles in a million divisions? Nobody gives a shit.

He walked into his first title shot due to kickboxing history. He got his second because of the result of the first and the same shit would be the case if he got a third.

Greatness comes from earning title shots by defeating a long line hard opponents to get there. Greatness doesn’t come from 1-off title fights you win.

I do like Alex though. Makes for awesome entertainment!

8 Likes

Uncle Clickbait probably severely over values titles too because he never had one.

:rofl:

3 Likes

I generally agree with this, and yet I look at Poatan in a different light because he entered MMA at age 33 after amassing a kickboxing record of 33-7 and was a Glory MW and LHW champ.

So he never got into MMA early enough to establish any significant wrestling or jiu-jitsu skills. And he won’t be able to defy Father Time long enough to stick around for numerous title defenses.

So maybe he’s never recognized as the GOAT even if he wins 3 MMA belts.

But he’s in a category all of his own and will remain legendary in the world of combat sports.

8 Likes

Can’t argue there.

You cannot award somebody something they’re nowhere near earning just because they might not have the time to actually accomplish it.

But what he is doing is fun and awesome. It is its own thing and a great feat and can be legendary if it ends right 100%.

And there’s nothing wrong with that. A league of his own.

He doesn’t need to be the greatest MMA fighter to be great. He is his own category of greatness.

As an aside, a true legit MW moving all the way up to HW and taking all the belts along the way is far more impressive than a massive HW guy that cuts 590lbs and gradually moves back up towards HW by cutting less weight.

1 Like

his career would be legendary. but goat is silly. i wonder if i’d change my tune at all if he took it off of jon though. probably wouldn’t.

1 Like

If he were to win a UFC HW belt, his Combat Sports résumé would be

Glory MW champion
Glory LHW champion
UFC MW champion
UFC LHW champion
UFC HW champion

He would then hold wins over 6 UFC champions

No doubt he’d be one of the all time “UFC GOATS” in terms of promotion history. But it would be hard to make the case he’s the MMA goat. He’s be top 10 for sure though

6 Likes

He didn’t “walk in,” he was on a 5 fight win streak and Strickland was the highest ranked guy Izzy hadn’t beat when Pereira decimated him in a #1 contender fight. Lost the belt then beat the former champ at 205 who’d just fought for the title. If anything he was given a top 5 fight before most guys, but when you pass that test with a huge KO it’s hard to deny.

Now he has wins over 3/4 top contenders at 205 and has defended his title, why shouldn’t he fight Aspinall? It’s an interim title anyways, who cares.

Pennington is the MMA GOAT. Pennington and Tank Abbott.

Tell me where I said he shouldn’t fight Aspinall please.

I didn’t say he sucked, I said he got shortcuts to titles and that doesn’t carry the same weight, you know, since we’re taking about legendary achievements here. If you disagree about 185 you certainly can’t about 205 or HW.

If you want to argue that one fight before the title, regardless of rank, makes that title just as hard earned as the long way then I’m not wasting my time arguing with you my man. You are free to think whatever you want.

This is what always makes GOAT discussions sort of pointless. Careers are so different and criteria for GOAT is never established.

Look at a career like Glover’s.

He had to go on a 20 fight win streak to get his 1st title shot. Had to go 10-4 after that with a 5 fight win streak to get his second title shot. Very difficult to compare his career to Pereira’s.

Look at a career of say Saku and Khabib… very different types of careers as Khabib fought at LW while Saku fought at WW, MW, LHW and HW despite them being close in size. One retired on top and one retired way too late. Different types of careers.

4 Likes

Wasn’t his last MW fight a KO loss?

3 Likes

Yes.

Something like “GOAT” status will always legitimately be up for debate.

What makes for a more impressive career shouldn’t really be as debatable. But there are always people incapable of logical thinking that will scream as loud as they can. A guy could go literally 2-0 in MMA with both of their only fights being for different titles and you’d have people calling them the greatest of all time and better than someone like Glover. It’s silly to argue with those people.

For your Khabib example, can you name any athlete in any other sport that won a title and then just walked away right in the prime of their career at their athletic peak that would ever be considered the greatest ever in that sport? I can’t. They would just be a massive “what if?”.

But MMA? Yeah…here we are.

If you strike gold at the top of the mountain just quit! It’s too hard to maintain that and half the forum nerds will call you the best anyway.

Tweetzat Chimaev is the next evolution of this. He really hasn’t accomplished anything at all yet, but has already learned he doesn’t need to risk losing to get all the accolades from fans. So he just tweets instead.

3 Likes

So true and I got a legit laugh out of “Tweetzat”.

1 Like

Thanks for the knowledge drop. Having looked, he was on a 6 fight win streak with only 3 of those being in the UFC.

He came into the UFC 3-1. Fought 2 scrubs, beat Strickland, and into the title.

If that’s not a fast track in your mind then I don’t know what to tell you.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much the definition of fast track.

2 Likes

Lotta argumentative fallacies in that post.

What parts?

Sure, “greatness” is incredibly subjective.

The bar seems to get lower and lower all the time for whatever reason. Maybe a side effect of the social media immediate gratification shortcut generation.

You are free to feel and think whatever you want on the subject.

It is what it is.

I stand by my opinion, but it’s just my opinion at the end of the day. The gospel of how people should view things and think sure as shit doesn’t come from me (or anyone for that matter).

1 Like

Comparing titles in different weights to boxers. Just an example of your argumentative issues. Alex is not a boxer and MMA is structured WAY differently.