if gsp did the nfl combine?

just go back and watch the jay Heiron/GSP fight..everyone talks about how fast GSP is but it was quite obvious that Hieron was the quicker athlete...he would be a much better representative of mma in the nfl combine..

lol @ the nfl dicksuckers thinking nfl athletes are the pinnacle of athleticism.

So then all the olympic caliber wrestlers in mma are unathletic chumps then? all the k1 level strikers too

you guys make it sound like every mma fighter trains like Tank Abbott or something...

The only hindrance against GSP as far as NFL capability goes is size. You guys are retarded that are saying he isn't athletic. (and i feel the same way about a lot of guys, like pete spratt or melvin manhoef)

He can also throw a baseball at 95 mph easy with no warm-up.

my wifes little cousn ran 4.35 at army all american game last year in texas and he was second fastes kid there. so gsp aint runin 4 point shit.

Come on guys.How many of you played highschool football?I knew plenty of sub 5.0 40s from kids.Lamar Burton the star running back on my team went on to play ball at some small insignificant school ran a 4.5.
It is not inconceivable that a guy with as much obvious fast twitch muscle fiber as GSP runs a very quick 40.

LOL--ok Traven, 330 isn't a large lineman.  4 offensive lineman alone, and a number of D-tackles (that are not in the 260 range).  Review list Traven--and LOL at your distinctions.  You should have been a lawyer! 

"Maceedawgg, if you think there is even a SLIM chance of GSP being able to play in the NFL you are a serious nuthugger."

I was being generous--LOL.  I mean none (but was being polite as I don't like to speak in absolutes). 

A long time Lurker, this thread finally made me post.

For 1, a 4.4 with no practice, GSP should try out for the olympic sprint teams not the wrestling teams, The athletes at the combine are the elite athletes in the sport and spend 2 months training for the specific events that the combine entail and then do only the best put up 4.4 speed. Even top running backs couldnt put up 4.4 with no practice, the 40 is all about the start and the explosivness off the line and the technique. Jonnie Morton ( former Lions WR) would blow GSP away in the combine, but in MMA Morton was horrible compared to GSP. Alot of athletes are fast or strong but the technique in the individual sport is what sets them apart.

Roy Jones did play in the USBL for a few games and was out of his element, looked very slow and unathletic next to the other players, and these are guys that spend every day playing and the closest most of them got to the NBA is on cable just like us.

Also for everyone saying they know someone who ran a 4.4 or a 4.5. Popotouro says his wife relitive ran a 4.35 at a reputable place where they are set up to measure correctly. Me running at the local field with a stopwatch leaves alot of room for interpretation. A quick finger can shave off a few miliseconds but in the combine a 4.4 gets you millions, a 4.7 gets you a bus ticket home if you are a running back.

People make it sound like no one else in the world can run a 4.4 40 other than NFL players. There are plenty of people who can, it is the combination of size, speed, strength, jumping ability, coordination, etc that is rare.

That being said, GSP runs so fast that he can go back in time and so strong that he uses Volkswagons for kettlebells. Fwap, fwap, fwap.

"but bottom line, you can't play in the NFL at 185 lbs (i estimated his walk around weight) on a 5-9 frame."

Somebody had better tell Antoine Winfield!!!

There are plenty of guys GSP's size in the NFL. However, those guys have been playing football since they were in grade school.

I'm not the best athlete in the world and I ran a 4.8, GSP would certainly run faster if he trained for it.

I have heard GSP's tinkle cures the lepers

Just for referance, the differance between a 4.7 and 4.4 on 40 yards....4.4 will finish about 12 feet ahead of the 4.7.

This discussion has gone on surprisingly long. You guys act like an athlete has to TRAIN his balls off to run a 4.5 or better. A lot of those guys are just fast whether they're training or not. Considering there were a couple 4.6 guys at my redneck high school that didn't know jack about training (including having no idea what plys where) i don't find the 4.4 barrier that daunting.

There were about six guys from Curtis High School that ran 4.5 or 4.4 40s in the late 1980s, and most of them played for Wash. State U. GSP is probably every bit the athlete they are.

I wonder if we would be having such a heated debate over this if he were black?

Well no, Black people are fast.

^^^

Oh no you didn't probst.  Tahiti Bo is sharpening the knives. 

Shoot, can't we just get GSP and TIME him on a combine track?

Those guys mentioning the sub 5.0 as being impossible for gsp must have no reference.

I ran a 4.7 in college with little to no prep - and I'm definitely not a great athlete. My X training partners on the board can vouch for that. :-) I weighed around 160 at the time.

As has been posted already, NFL players weighing over a hundred pounds more approach that. The lists mentioned above don't even include the tight ends, which probably average over 240 pounds.

I would be shocked if GSP ran worse than a 4.7 40.

^^^

Agreed.  And I would expect him to crack 4.6.

I would say a 4.7 is about right. People dont relize how much faster a 4.4 is than a 4.7.

"LOL 4.6  Rbs that train their entire lives run on avg. a 4.5 yet you think GSP would"

I did, and I didn't train near the level of GSP.  4.6 is not all that uncommon.  You lost your rocker Traven if you think that is an outlandish number.