If Shields does win...

and beats Henderson in impressive fashion (Which is a long shot, I know). Would you want to see him fight GSP right away? There isn't any clear challengers for the welterweight title right now, and if Shields signs with the ufc, and was coming off a big win against Hendo, would that qualify him as the top contender?

I think it would, and he'd still be in the mix even if he loses, considering the fights at mw, but I would like to see him face gsp, a different style match up instead of having rematches with guys like Fitch & Kos.

Immediate title shot would be fine with me.

He isn't in the UFC. Nobody outside of the hardcore community even knows who he is. No way would he walk into the UFC right into a title fight. Not gonna happen. If anything, he would need 4 or 5 dominant wins in a row in the octagon before that was even a possibility. And I doubt he would get those wins at the UFC level.

Plus, Hendo is going to crush him badly. It's a mismatch. Strikeforce wants Hendo to be their poster boy. So they are giving him a belt on a platter. Don't blame them, cause I would do the same.

If he beats Hendo, absolutely. And even if he loses I think he still should. The build-up alone could make it one of the biggest PPVs to date. There are four fights between now and 115 worth mentioning, but the hype of GSP vs. Shields (with him crossing over from SF to UFC) can't be compared to the winner of any of the fights below.

Thiago Alves vs. Jon Fitch
Josh Koscheck vs. Paul Daley
Martin Kampmann vs. Paulo Thiago
Diego Sanchez vs. John Hathaway

If Bisping was going to get Silva for beating Hendo, then Shields should get GSP if he moves up in weight and beats Hendo...problem would be building the fight without any footage of Shields. The UFC likes to own the video for this reason.

LOL at 4-5 dominant wins before he gets title shot

Yeah, after Hendo completely destroys him without breaking a sweat. Dana is gonna take what is left of Jake Shields and give him a tv-show then straight to a title shot. Real good logic there zippy.

1 dominant win before title shot.

If he can beat Hendo convincingly I would be shocked.

But yeah his stock would climb quickly if he's able to do that.

But considering he got saved by the bell vs Miller I highly doubt it :)

How could I forget bully beatdown? Of course I factored that in. But lets be honest here, the only A-List superstar celebrity that was created on that show was Mayhem. Who was already pretty much an A-List superstar celebrity before he even did that show anyways.

But that show could get Jake into an untelevised prelim with the UFC after his loss to Hendo. So it could pay off.

blue63 - If you're so confident in your nonsense then taking the bet shouldn't be a problem, should it?

Time to man up, EM.

I don't do bets with noobs that have been here less than a year. You are lucky I am even talking to you.

do you think Shields could defeat Bisping?

My dick is to big to tuck. I can make a dragons tail though.

EvilMaster - He isn't in the UFC. Nobody outside of the hardcore community even knows who he is. No way would he walk into the UFC right into a title fight. Not gonna happen. If anything, he would need 4 or 5 dominant wins in a row in the octagon before that was even a possibility. And I doubt he would get those wins at the UFC level.

Plus, Hendo is going to crush him badly. It's a mismatch. Strikeforce wants Hendo to be their poster boy. So they are giving him a belt on a platter. Don't blame them, cause I would do the same.
I think it's a fair statement to say that very few outside the MMA community knew who A. Silva was before he crushed Leben on UFN.  After that fight he got his title shot with Franklin.

Win or lose w/Hendo, Sheild's isn't too far away from a fight with GSP.  You need to keep in mind that Sheild's primary weight class is 170, not 185.

Trying to compare Jake Shields to Anderson friggin Silva is pretty stupid.

blah

If he beats Henderson... an instant title shot is fine with me.

is there anyone in the ufc at 170 you want gsp to fight? There is no one that can out wrestle gsp and that's what it will take to bet him(minus a lucky punch).

Shields can win. He's the rightful underdog, but Dan Henderson is pushing 40 and has been submitted before. If Shields can stay away from the right hand, his wrestling and jiu-jitsu could get him the win.

EvilMaster - Trying to compare Jake Shields to Anderson friggin Silva is pretty stupid.

Anderson Silva did not have the status of Jake Sheilds when he entered the octogon. Sheilds is Strikeforce champion Anderson was cage rage champion who lost to lesser fighters in Japan. As great as Anderson is now his rep was only so so when he came to ufc.