If you're interested in cycling for training...

If you want a fairly serious tool for road biking I figured I'd throw this out here. Let me say up front I'm not a shill for this company, don't have anything other to do with them besides buying a bike from them.

If you want a full carbon frame/fork/steerer with mid level (sram force or shimano ultegra) components you're looking at $2500-3k. I found this company Stradalli (and another called Rossetti, different owners but similar business idea) on ebay where they sell a lot of bikes. 

Full bike, ready to ride sans pedals, all carbon frame and fork, carbon cranks, SRAM force components. $2k, no tax, free shipping. Non-cyclists will choke at that price, you have no idea. Walk into any bike shop and look at specialized, trek, etc... with similar frames an components. It's a deal.

Despite the italian name the frames are pure chinese but then again so are all the major manufacturers. Do a little online research on the cycling forums (roadbikereview) and you'll see few complaints and a lot of good reviews. 

Add me to that list. Got mine put together and went on a maiden voyage. Thing is a rocketship, light, stiff, accelerates like crazy. Here is a pic, mine looks exactly like this. If you're in the market just get on ebay and do a search or one on the companies above. Another option is bikesdirect.com, but they've had some spotty customer service issues in the past. 

Honestly all I want is tires that won't go flat. I don't race so I don't care about how light the bike is to some extent.

cdueck -  Honestly all I want is tires that won't go flat. I don't race so I don't care about how light the bike is to some extent.

I'm with you. Before this my road bike was a sub $500 singlespeed that I bought primarily for training purposes. Lots of athletes start out cycling for conditioning and end up liking it and getting a better tool for that sport. Or they're just rich to start out with and buy a badass bike just because. :D

Nice... probably not looking to buy a new bike for a while. I just bought a Fuji Roubaix 1.0 for $1k a couple weeks ago. But I enjoy seeing what's out there.