I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this but

I’ve been doing it all wrong. I was taught to throw a hook palm down, but I don’t think that’s the right way.

1:52 mark of this video(time stamped) highlights what I’m talking about-

4 Likes

Not like I am qualified to comment, but IMO thumb up is for close in, thumb down is for when the arm is more extended and the target is farther away.

Vid no work for me.

6 Likes

I was taught both ways are fine. Can depend on preference and target.

1 Like

Standard hook for close range.

Russian hook at distance.

2 Likes

I was taught by someone not named Roy Jones Jr so I am rethinking how to throw the hook.

1 Like

Keep in mind boxers with boxing gloves are goal specific.
Different strategy for MMA/bare knuckle/self defense.

I would suggest practicing both hooks at different ranges and understand what works and why – and adjust to your own strengths/style.

4 Likes

Palm down tendency to land with weak outer knuckles… which is why I like turning it over more AKA Russian Hook or Casting Punch.

When mastered can be very powerful, see Igor Vovchanchyn.

Also have to consider not injuring your hand so its not something you want to be throwing wildly at a hard head lol.

1 Like

I generate way more power with my thumb up. Feels more natural when throwing as well.

4 Likes

Both are fine but the more correct way is thumb up. Not palm down. Palm down is a major reason for so many “boxer breaks” of the hand because you will most likely land the strike with the last two knuckles (pinky and ring finger).

But again, both styles are correct and it comes down to preference. I teach thumb up though.

2 Likes

Exactly. Great point.

Palm down cause “boxer breaks” as you land with last two knuckles. Thumb up lands with more surface area.

1 Like

Exclusively thumb up. Way more comfortable that way and I generate more power that way. Most of my hooks are from range as I box like someone 6’5" should on the outside.

1 Like

Cool I always trained my left hooks with thumb up because I felt I could hit the pads and heavy bag harder. Glad to know this was the correct way.

2 Likes

There is no “correct way”.

It is both individual and situational.

1 Like

In terms of limiting the odds of creating a “boxer break” there is definitely a more correct way.

But other than that, both are acceptable forms.

Right.

I spent a long time developing my left hook, because it didn’t come natural.
My right straight and cross came very naturally.
Left hook, not so much.

I broke down the movements and drilled it at slower speeds – working my way up to full speed and power – until it became fluid and I didn’t have to think about it any more.
At that point the movement could be applied at multiple angles and ranges while generating real power.

Once I developed my standard hook, the more natural movement generated through the hips translated into the Russian hook (I used to call it a casting punch), so that development came naturally.

Russian hook is thrown with more of a whipping motion.
The hand is turned over more exaggerated with thumb at about a 45 degree angle toward the ground.
This helps to connect with the right knuckles – and aides in generating power through the follow through of the movement.

The Russian hook at range is thrown with more of a forward movement than side movement, and a whipping/slightly looping trajectory.
It had similarities to an overhand right in that aspect… obvious differences noted.

With boxing gloves the standard hook can be thrown as a guard breaker.
MMA gloves or bare knuckle, caution is needed either way.

1 Like

JUST BANG BRO

6 Likes

I used both . Depending on my distance . I used the palm down when I was doing a check hook . But I definitely had more power and success with thumb up.

1 Like

Same.

Thumb up seems to generate far more power for most people.

2 Likes