I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this but

I think you are lost. The OG is over there >>>>>>>>>

2 Likes

This is probably a good thread to ask this…

I know what I’m good at and why, but I know when I spar, I rarely land the 2 on the 1-2 combo. You know like how George Foreman knocked out Michael Moore. I know I have dedicated full rounds where my goal is to land a 1-2 and it has never been as easy as I think it should.

Any advice on how to land the 1-2? I’m comfortable with understanding my range, can land jabs and set up body shots with combos, am really good at checking kicks but when it comes to landing head shots, I know that is where I could have improvement.

I can hit the 1-2 on mits like it ain’t nothing, but doing so in sparring when they’re not trying to get hit is where I would like to hear some pointers.

I’d say the best way to land is to mix up you combos off your jab. Instead of always throwing 1-2 mix in 1-1 or 1-3 etc. That way your opponent doesn’t always expect the 1-2. I like 1-3 just to set a tempo or rhythm then add the 1-2 when they are comforatable with the 1-3.

Hope that makes sense.

1 Like

It does. It’s actually very simple advice, yet sound.

1 Like

You might be throwing your 1 to hard and as a result they aren’t there when you throw the 2. A lot of guys do this when sparring but not on mitts because of Adrenalin.

3 Likes

Great point.

Short, straight and quick, also footwork is important.

Completely agree and came to say something similar. Try using the 1 as almost a blinder only. Touch with the 1, even if that’s just pushing his gloves into his face and IMMEDIATELY have the 2 follow behind that. You’ll also see guys having success with using the lead hand as a way to clear away the defense and then landing the straight. There are obviously many variations with combos, and jabs are very effective, but in the case you’re describing the 1 should be used as a decoy imo and not something you’re concerned with landing in a meaningful way.

1 Like

I was taught to throw the left palm down at my first boxing gym. Did it for a few years that way as the primary way to throw the hook.

We would do palm facing me thumps up when throwing a hook far away (which I never really do) or to the body but the headshot in range hook was always palm down.

I guess I’m biased from learning that way but I feel like I can hook harder that way probably from drilling it that way for so long.

3 Likes

I was taught to turn it over at the end of the punch, with a snap.

One of reasons that I throw my hook thumb up is that it allows you to use your palm and grip to grab. So I throw a 3-2. While throwing the 3/hook I throw at the wrist, then grab the wrist and clear his guard by pulling down or into my chest and then throw a hard 2 down the pipe. This works especially well if you are fighting a southpaw as a conventional or vice versa because when you pull the guard down it makes your opponents balance break and lean into the second shot. You can change up this combo if you can throw a rear hook by throwing front hook and then rear hook as they follow their guard by leaning.

2 Likes

:+1:

With any closed fist strike the first principle is to always ensure the strongest bones in your hand/wrist/forearm are in perfect alignment when contact is initially made. 3rd metacarpal > Capitate.

Note the very specific names of wrist bones.

Thumb: Trapezium - Trap easy 'em
Index: Trapezoid - The good 'ol #2. The follower/Void filler. All distal phalanx look like cocks. Yet this is the one we universally use to point/finger bang/oil check with.
Middle: Capitate - The chosen one for decapitation. ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Ring: Hamate - Ham ate.
Pinky: Try quitting/Piss form

A simple practice if you will.
Hold both you’re arms out straight forward, parallel with your shoulders. With both thumb knuckles up bring both hands together perpendicular to your chest. You will see that the closer you are to your target you will generate substantially more force with minimal rotation. Yet the further you are away from your target you will both expend more energy while extending your exchange.

Try it again. Thumbs up in close proximity. Golden if you’re planted. Palms down any time you turn your shoulder over without great footwork you’re basically punching yourself in the back of the head.

2 Likes

No one ever - “I would’ve flipped ya, flipped ya for real if it weren’t for my damned scaphoid lunations.”

1 Like

Regardless of turning your shoulder/hand by extension or not, it’s first and foremost about comfort. Pay no attention to the fun-dementials who may have forgotten more than you can ever learn. Just roll with it any which way you can.

1 Like

It’s a subtle transition from foot palm to ankle/knee/hips/shoulder/elbow/wrist/hand/knuckle

I was a kid of divorce and so my moms second date with my step dad was at a drive in showing “ Anyway which you can” and they brought 6 yr old me. He was my hero from that day forward and I credit that movie with my life as a fighter. God bless you Dad( George Oakes).

4 Likes

George Oakes sounds like a good man

2 Likes

This x100

1 Like

That’s beautiful man.

every which way but loose tumblr featured GIF

1 Like