I'm so damn sick of osssss!!!!

Used it at old school,always felt fake about it.
Would never use it at current school..lol Phone Post

ElPulpo -
Caught_clean - 2 simple rules for me. No OSSSS!! and I don't call it Jitz.

This.

THIS Phone Post

MickColins -  "We found an ossssss user "

We say it at the end of class, I don't know what the big deal is. Do people use it more in California? I've probably heard "porra" more than "oss"

You know what porra means right? Lol crazy Portuguese cussing.. Phone Post

Yesssssss!

Ossss my god Phone Post

Is that a thing now? It's Japanese bro code for "Tsup?"

In karate I use it all the time. To say hi, good bye, i understand, good job, thats delicious, nice ass, etc.

but in over here I only use it as a greeting. It would be weird to see a bunch of gringos using it around other gringos which is what I'm assuming is starting to happen now, amirtie? Phone Post

We say it at the end of class, I don't know what the big deal is. Do people use it more in California? I've probably heard "porra" more than "oss"

Same here!! With the occasional new white belts who pick it up and tend to say it all the time.. Phone Post

Carlson Gracie Holland and R-Grip Shooto Gym are VERY much "OSU!!!" filled. As are most Dutch martial arts gyms.

Kyokushin roots run deep, frens.

Maybe in the US it's more common to chitchat during class, or argue with the instructor when he tells you to do train harder.

Over here, we shut up, scream "OSU!!!" and do more reps... Phone Post

Alumynabjj -
FC_Kicked_My_Aspergers -

You know what porra means right? Lol crazy Portuguese cussing.. Phone Post

I like saying porra I am not going to lie. It makes me laugh Phone Post

Caralho! Phone Post

We finally agree on something.

In Japan, everyone and their brother was sayig Osu or Osss to me in one from or another. Normal, no MA peeps.

No idea what it means... I love me some porra though. That and AAAAYYYYYY!!!! Phone Post

Ditto this and jits

I thought i saw a clothing line called OSS somewhere too Phone Post

"The Origins of Osu!
Unfortunately, the Japanese do not really know where the expression osu comes from. There are two prevailing theories as to the origins of modern Japanese using “Osu!”. Each theory is just that: it is only a theory. We can do little more than speculate on where the expression comes from.

For theory one, I refer you to Japanese: The Spoken Language in Japanese Life by Dr. Mizutani Osamu 1. Dr. Mizutani is a linguistics professor at the University of Nagoya and is frequently published in The Japan Times, Japan’s English language newspaper, as an expert on the subject. He also has a rather long list of books he has published on the Japanese language.

On page 59 he talks about an experiment in people returning greetings. He greeted people on the streets and noted the responses. He always said, “Ohayo gozaimasu,” which means, very politely, “It is early”, and is commonly used as “good morning” in Japan.

During the experiment, he noticed that greetings changed as situations changed. Joggers, involved in an athletic activity, responded with rougher language than did people who were walking the streets with a destination in mind.

In his study, he found that most of the joggers responded with “Ohayossu!”, “Ohayoosu!”, “Oosu!”, or “Osu!” to him.

In Mizutani’s study, he found that most of the joggers responded with “Ohayossu!”, “Ohayoosu!”, “Oosu!”, or “Osu!” to him.
From the responses, we can see a clear pattern in the Japanese language as the more formal expression “Ohayho gozaimasu” is contracted:

Ohayo. more familiar and intimate; casual usage towards friends and neighbors. I used to say this and receive this back every morning when I walked into the office while I worked in Japan. Customers and visitors who came in said the more formal “Ohayo Gozaimasu” to us, however, because they were not part of our working in-group.

Ohayossu or ohayoosu. more athletic, male expression. You might hear this from a neighbor you don’t know well if you greet him while he is jogging past you. Men’s and women’s language usage differs more in Japanese than it does in English. There are distinct feminine and masculine expressions, and the Japanese find it inappropriate for women and men to use each other’s language. Generally such usage is reserved for transvestites.

Ossu or oosu. A very tough, rough expression of masculinity. Used primarily by young boys and others engaged in athletic activities together. It is generally aimed toward one’s colleagues, not the coach, instructor, or other seniors. The expression is avoided by women, unless the particular culture of the athletic activity has become one in which the ladies use this word regularly.

From this escalating contraction of the word as used by Japanese in this study, it is pretty apparent that all four expressions are related: osu, ohayosu, ohayo, and ohayho gozaimasu. I think “Osu!” is probably a contraction of “ohayo gozaimasu.” Mizutani writes in his book that “Osu!” is a rough expression used by men toward other men and that it means “Hi ya!” in English 2.

For the curious, there is a more rough expression than “Osu!”. “Oh!” is considered a rougher, more manly and potentially rude greeting than “Osu!”. I would read the rest of this article before using that one with anyone. I’ve never dared to try it out with any of my Japanese friends before."

shen - 

"The Origins of Osu!
Unfortunately, the Japanese do not really know where the expression osu comes from. There are two prevailing theories as to the origins of modern Japanese using “Osu!”. Each theory is just that: it is only a theory. We can do little more than speculate on where the expression comes from.

For theory one, I refer you to Japanese: The Spoken Language in Japanese Life by Dr. Mizutani Osamu 1. Dr. Mizutani is a linguistics professor at the University of Nagoya and is frequently published in The Japan Times, Japan’s English language newspaper, as an expert on the subject. He also has a rather long list of books he has published on the Japanese language.

On page 59 he talks about an experiment in people returning greetings. He greeted people on the streets and noted the responses. He always said, “Ohayo gozaimasu,” which means, very politely, “It is early”, and is commonly used as “good morning” in Japan.

During the experiment, he noticed that greetings changed as situations changed. Joggers, involved in an athletic activity, responded with rougher language than did people who were walking the streets with a destination in mind.

In his study, he found that most of the joggers responded with “Ohayossu!”, “Ohayoosu!”, “Oosu!”, or “Osu!” to him.

In Mizutani’s study, he found that most of the joggers responded with “Ohayossu!”, “Ohayoosu!”, “Oosu!”, or “Osu!” to him.
From the responses, we can see a clear pattern in the Japanese language as the more formal expression “Ohayho gozaimasu” is contracted:

Ohayo. more familiar and intimate; casual usage towards friends and neighbors. I used to say this and receive this back every morning when I walked into the office while I worked in Japan. Customers and visitors who came in said the more formal “Ohayo Gozaimasu” to us, however, because they were not part of our working in-group.

Ohayossu or ohayoosu. more athletic, male expression. You might hear this from a neighbor you don’t know well if you greet him while he is jogging past you. Men’s and women’s language usage differs more in Japanese than it does in English. There are distinct feminine and masculine expressions, and the Japanese find it inappropriate for women and men to use each other’s language. Generally such usage is reserved for transvestites.

Ossu or oosu. A very tough, rough expression of masculinity. Used primarily by young boys and others engaged in athletic activities together. It is generally aimed toward one’s colleagues, not the coach, instructor, or other seniors. The expression is avoided by women, unless the particular culture of the athletic activity has become one in which the ladies use this word regularly.

From this escalating contraction of the word as used by Japanese in this study, it is pretty apparent that all four expressions are related: osu, ohayosu, ohayo, and ohayho gozaimasu. I think “Osu!” is probably a contraction of “ohayo gozaimasu.” Mizutani writes in his book that “Osu!” is a rough expression used by men toward other men and that it means “Hi ya!” in English 2.

For the curious, there is a more rough expression than “Osu!”. “Oh!” is considered a rougher, more manly and potentially rude greeting than “Osu!”. I would read the rest of this article before using that one with anyone. I’ve never dared to try it out with any of my Japanese friends before."

Don't know where you got this but it's wrong. Osss or Osu is short for Onegai shimasu. Which in english would be something like "please show me favor" or sometimes "I respectfully request." When training in Japan we always said "Onegai shimasu" or just "Osss" before we slapped hands and started rolling.

I lived in Japan from age 10 - 15 and osu was how kids greeted each other. It was exactly like "sup" today or "hey". I was pretty surprised to hear it so much in bjj schools too.

redenstein - 
shen - 

"The Origins of Osu!

Don't know where you got this but it's wrong. Osss or Osu is short for Onegai shimasu. Which in english would be something like "please show me favor" or sometimes "I respectfully request." When training in Japan we always said "Onegai shimasu" or just "Osss" before we slapped hands and started rolling.

It's from a much longer, in-depth article on the term, posted on page one. It talks about "Onegaishimasu" here:

..."Onegaishimasu" is another word that could be contracted into “Osu!” Onegaishimasu is a polite catch-all word that generally means “please” and sometimes “sorry.” I noticed in Japan that some people used this instead of “Osu!”

It is important to differentiate between the origins of “Osu!” and the current usage of the expression. Just because the word is rooted in either “good morning” or “push and hide” does not mean that the Japanese are thinking that when they say it anymore than you are thinking the obsolete French expression for “stop” (holla) when you say “hello” to someone.

The potential origins of the expression “Osu!” are little more than Japanese language trivia. The true origins are unknown to both karate experts and the Japanese themselves. Whether it comes from an expression for “good morning” or “push” makes little difference to how and when you use it today.

So, everything I-ve just written is basically useful only in a game of trivial pursuit, if the topic is karate jargon. Otherwise, read on, because I haven’t written about anything you can actually use yet...

Here is the article.

http://www.24fightingchickens.com/2005/08/29/appropriate-usage-of-osu/

I read that OSSSS was used as a way of saying awesome among graphic artists. I am in Midwest so I have not heard any Bros using this language but I have seen some Jits dudes posting on Facebook with it. I imagine they are giving the hang ten symbol while they are posting. It is hard to be sure. Phone Post

sunderground - 
Caught_clean - 2 simple rules for me. No OSSSS!! and I don't call it Jitz.

The latter is worse.

brixx139 - 
Christophr - I pronounce Roger like Hodger so that people will know I'm "with it".

or maybe its because thats how its meant to be pronounced... Phone Post

I remember watching a interview with him (Roger) saying that he liked to be called Roger instead of Hoger. I'll see if I can find it...