Inside Info Gannon x Kimbo

IN EARLY!

No chance this fight actually happens. That would be like OP turning out to be a UFC fighter and being a #1 contender, fighting for a belt.

so funny how Kimbo became a thing after he broke that bums face and popped his eye out. dude was half his size and looked scared. then he beat up a few other nobodies before Gannon.

he was just a mean looking guy who was managed to a T.

Still remember stumbling across this video in college, had just scratched the surface of MMA fandom a couple years before but knew of kimbo well... wish I found this place back then, it was something special for sure. 

I'll be coaching the MMA Training Group at Maximum MMA and Fitness this Sunday, Dec 9th at 4:00pm in Phuket. They have day passes even if you just feel like swinging by once and getting in a workout with me. It's a got a full weight room, crossfit box, 5 rings and 3 Lumpinee champions with a combined record of....well, I'm a fighter and we usually can't count that high. Even if other obligations keep you from getting there at 4, just come on down, we tend to just hang out there (like true gym rats) and the place is open till 11:00pm. Afterward we'll be getting together for a bite to eat and maybe a beer. Phuket bros please share.

I believe I stopped lurking and moved from sherdog to the ug because of this thread. This was before tuf, Noone knew kenflo, etc. Let me check my date.

Yup. 11/17/2004.

GladiatorGannon - 

I'll be coaching the MMA Training Group at Maximum MMA and Fitness this Sunday, Dec 9th at 4:00pm in Phuket. They have day passes even if you just feel like swinging by once and getting in a workout with me. It's a got a full weight room, crossfit box, 5 rings and 3 Lumpinee champions with a combined record of....well, I'm a fighter and we usually can't count that high. Even if other obligations keep you from getting there at 4, just come on down, we tend to just hang out there (like true gym rats) and the place is open till 11:00pm. Afterward we'll be getting together for a bite to eat and maybe a beer. Phuket bros please share.

ttt

What an awesome thread to read over so many years later. And see a young Kenny Florian updating the UG on an illegal underground fight between Gannon and Kimbo. I remember the first time I saw the fight. Amazing stuff. 2 warriors. RIP Kimbo. You are the man Gannon 

RIP Kimbo.

Good bump.  Rip kimbo. Aweome guy.  Chilled for a while with us in montreal and signed everything, and took photos with everyone. 

I cannot believe I had no idea he had died. Wow fuck. Rest in piece man.

TFK_Vulva Fabulous - One thing every single fighter has said about Kimbo was how nice and humble he was, and it showed when he was on the season of TUF. It was such a refreshing and surprising thing to see. I never expected it. Being that every single fighter has said how nice he was should tell you something.

He got dealt a stacked hand, which got him paid big time, but in turn he did get shit on by many long time fans because of how much EliteXC and StrikeForce pushed him. It wasn’t his fault that he was their cash cow, all he did was fight.

RIP Phone Post 3.0

Well stated.

Rest in Peace big man.

1 Like

TTT

The crazy thing about this thread is that it was originally like 3-4 pages long…the first TTT came 5 years later, and now it’s 30+ pages long. Crazy.

1 Like

Quick, funny story…the company I was working for had a company meeting that night, and all 25-30 of us from this retail location were supposed to be there. A couple people wrote notes on the whiteboard like “I’ll be late, my babysitter can’t arrive until 8:00” or something like that…I wrote a note that said “I might be late. I’ll be at an illegal, underground street fight in RI.”

The boss thought I was joking. I was late, and they gave me an employee of the month award. Threads like this remind me of when this place used to be fun.

1 Like
Rickmassmma - Quick, funny story...the company I was working for had a company meeting that night, and all 25-30 of us from this retail location were supposed to be there. A couple people wrote notes on the whiteboard like "I'll be late, my babysitter can't arrive until 8:00" or something like that...I wrote a note that said "I might be late. I'll be at an illegal, underground street fight in RI."

The boss thought I was joking. I was late, and they gave me an employee of the month award. Threads like this remind me of when this place used to be fun.

It occasionally comes up here and there talking to random people and they think it was so cool that I was there. Probably the most historically significant moment I've ever been there for.

1 Like
Chris - 
Rickmassmma - Quick, funny story...the company I was working for had a company meeting that night, and all 25-30 of us from this retail location were supposed to be there. A couple people wrote notes on the whiteboard like "I'll be late, my babysitter can't arrive until 8:00" or something like that...I wrote a note that said "I might be late. I'll be at an illegal, underground street fight in RI."

It occasionally comes up here and there talking to random people and they think it was so cool that I was there. Probably the most historically significant moment I've ever been there for.

#metoo

Sit N Smile -

also, how bizarre too see the term "troll job" was already an established meme in 2004... holy shit.

Lol that is pretty funny. Still going strong 14 years later.

kenflo - Gannon wins dickheads. I know you guys ahve the go burn your Kimbo shirts now but Gannon knocked him the fuck out after 15 minutes of toe to toe fighting. They both look like shit but Gannon is still standing.

lol