Is Ariel a Journalist or an On-Air Personality?

I know people were really psyched to see Ariel on Television last night. And I guess on one level, I was happy for him. BUT...

You can't be a sports journalist and work for the sports promoter. Journalists are supposed to work for news outlets and report news independently of the promoter or company sponsoring the sports event.

For example, Madden isn't a journalist. He's a sports analyst and commentator. On the other hand, Peter King IS a sports journalist.

Journalists keep a sport honest and offer an opinion that isn't based around revenue or betting lines. On-Air personalities support the agenda of the promoter or company sponsoring the sports events.

I don't mind that Ariel has made the switch over, but I would disappointed to find out that he was going to pretend to still be a journalist, when a conflict of interest now exists.

Btw, does Ariel cover any events beyond UFC and Strikeforce? Anyone recall him covering a Bellator event (with interviews) or any other promotion, in our outside of the U.S.?

why should Ariel foot the bill to go to Bellator and cover their events? It's not up to him what events he covers. It's up to his bosses and if they don't give a shit about Bellator then he's not going to waste his time and own coin. Btw it's not like he's ever been a hard hitting journalist. He's known for his shows and interviews not his in depth analysis of the sport.

I think he's both. When he's working for the UFC he's an analyst, and when he is doing the MMA Hour and stuff like that he is a reporter. People can be more than one thing after all.

molsonmuscle360 - I think he's both. When he's working for the UFC he's an analyst, and when he is doing the MMA Hour and stuff like that he is a reporter. People can be more than one thing after all.

That's the thing. Journalists are not supposed to engage in anything that would be seen as a conflict of interest. Its a significant aspect of their code of ethics.

How is the mma hour reporting? In that case all podcasters are reporters. Phone Post

Ariel's wellfare always depended on the promoter's commercial success whether he worked directly for him or not, and this I think can be seen throughout Ariel's work. He always promoted the fighters and promotions he was reporting on. Especially in MMA the lines are so blurry that personal ethics and self-restraint are more important than clear cut firewalls.

Ariel doesn't work the UFC. He was hired by Fuel TV to be an on-air analyst.

Authority Figure - That's the thing. Journalists are not supposed to engage in anything that would be seen as a conflict of interest. Its a significant aspect of their code of ethics.

Maybe in politics or foreign affairs or whatever. Not in combat sports. MMA journalists have a dual role as vehicles of information AND promoters for the sport.

Ariel, Journalist... get the f%ck out of here, might as well call everyone in the basement podcasting a journalist. MMA coverage is a joke

Sephiroth - why should Ariel foot the bill to go to Bellator and cover their events? It's not up to him what events he covers. It's up to his bosses and if they don't give a shit about Bellator then he's not going to waste his time and own coin. Btw it's not like he's ever been a hard hitting journalist. He's known for his shows and interviews not his in depth analysis of the sport.

You seem angry man. lol I'm not suggesting Ariel do anything. I'm asking if he exclusively covers Zuffa events. Only freelance journalists spend their own money to get stories. I don't think he's been freelance for a long time.

I think you're also confusing two things. Within the context of my post, I'm drawing distinctions between on-air analysts paid by a promoter or company to reiterate the COMPANY's analysis of a sport. A journalist or reporter may have an editor to report to, but he/she would be writing from their own perspective, regardless of whether a promoter agreed with the content.

Which brings me to one of my old issues: Are there "really" any journalists in MMA? Can one make a living in MMA news without caring about what Zuffa thinks? They seem pretty vindictive.

Authority Figure - 
Sephiroth - why should Ariel foot the bill to go to Bellator and cover their events? It's not up to him what events he covers. It's up to his bosses and if they don't give a shit about Bellator then he's not going to waste his time and own coin. Btw it's not like he's ever been a hard hitting journalist. He's known for his shows and interviews not his in depth analysis of the sport.

You seem angry man. lol I'm not suggesting Ariel do anything. I'm asking if he exclusively covers Zuffa events. Only freelance journalists spend their own money to get stories. I don't think he's been freelance for a long time.

I think you're also confusing two things. Within the context of my post, I'm drawing distinctions between on-air analysts paid by a promoter or company to reiterate the COMPANY's analysis of a sport. A journalist or reporter may have an editor to report to, but he/she would be writing from their own perspective, regardless of whether a promoter agreed with the content.

Which brings me to one of my old issues: Are there "really" any journalists in MMA? Can one make a living in MMA news without caring about what Zuffa thinks? They seem pretty vindictive.
I completely understand what you are saying and I'm far from angry. If you had been a mma fan for over 6 months you'd know Ariel interviewed Strikeforce fighters before they were ever even owned by zuffa.

Btw like Chris said ZUFFA does not pay Ariel. He was hired by fuel so your entire thread makes no sense.

Chris -  Ariel doesn't work the UFC. He was hired by Fuel TV to be an on-air analyst.

Great. I'm not concerned with who his check came from per se. Fuel TV is owned by Fox. Fox is a subsidiary of Murdoch News Corp. So, Murdoch News Corp is in a partnership w/ Zuffa. Zuffa controls production of all UFC related material on Murdoch owned channels. And de facto has control over who appears on air during their programming.

If this isn't true, then there would have been 5 or 10 reporters interviewing fighters and coaches last night right? Or at bare minimum, reporters would have "bid" for the opportunity to appear on the show, right? RIGHT?

Sephiroth - 
Authority Figure - 

I completely understand what you are saying and I'm far from angry. If you had been a mma fan for over 6 months you'd know Ariel interviewed Strikeforce fighters before they were ever even owned by zuffa.

Btw like Chris said ZUFFA does not pay Ariel. He was hired by fuel so your entire thread makes no sense.

1. I didn't say Zuffa pays Ariel. But I know they control who is on air.
2. I'm aware that Ariel covered Strikeforce before the purchase.
3. I'm wondering as a sidenote if he only covers major promotions.
4. I've been watching MMA consistently seven years. But I did see other events prior to that point.
5. You sure you're not mad? Just trying to have a conversation man. lol

Forssberg - 
Authority Figure - That's the thing. Journalists are not supposed to engage in anything that would be seen as a conflict of interest. Its a significant aspect of their code of ethics.

Maybe in politics or foreign affairs or whatever. Not in combat sports. MMA journalists have a dual role as vehicles of information AND promoters for the sport.

"or whatever"....actually in every instance that you can think of, journalism is separated from on-air personality commentary/analysis etc.

If this is different in MMA reporting, would we be inclined to say its the result of Zuffa or because the talent pool is small?

^ why would anyone ever get mad over anything stated over a message board? Of course Ariel only covers major promotions. I don't get the question? He's not out there covering regional orgs no one cares about.

Basically what you are saying is that as long as Ariel is on air analysing a Ufc event that he can never be a legitimate journalist again. What I find funny is you then use Peter King as an example as a guy who doesn' t mix these roles yet Peter King has worked for the Nfl network, written and analysed for Espn.com and on and on.

hes neither.. hes an errand, boy sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill..  

Sephiroth -  ^ why would anyone ever get mad over anything stated over a message board? Of course Ariel only covers major promotions. I don't get the question? He's not out there covering regional orgs no one cares about.

Basically what you are saying is that as long as Ariel is on air analysing a Ufc event that he can never be a legitimate journalist again. What I find funny is you then use Peter King as an example as a guy who doesn' t mix these roles yet Peter King has worked for the Nfl network, written and analysed for Espn.com and on and on.

No, I'm not saying he can "never be a legitimate journalist again". I'm saying you can't do both at the same time in a sports community that's so small.

Peter King has always made it clear when and what capacity he represents himself. And he's always been viewed primarily as a journalist, who's views can't be bought. And when he appears on the NFL Network he has been paid to share his own thoughts, not parrot any team owner or NFL execs.

spliff - hes neither.. hes an errand, boy sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill..  

This might be the closest thing to the truth so far. As bad as it sounds.

But I guess we all do what we need to, right?

Journalist, for sure.

Authority Figure - 
spliff - hes neither.. hes an errand, boy sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill..  

This might be the closest thing to the truth so far. As bad as it sounds.

But I guess we all do what we need to, right?
give me a break. This entire thread was just a reason to crap on Ariel. Even though everyone besides the forum tards have disagreed with you you had already come to your own opinion so no one elses matter.

It says a ton that everyone else has offered honest opinions involving facts and actual debate and the first idiot who blasts Ariel and calls him an errand boy you wholeheartedly agree with.

You are a bitch made hater. There's something you might be able to understand.