Is Big John The Worst Ref Of All Time?

John has the least amount of fuck ups in the sport. He is the standard of quality in MMA.

Jed - Great thread! I couldn't agree more. The UFC should have gotten rid of him years ago. I never could figure out what the fack he was thinking when he threw those flying tackles on fighters. Strikeforce can have him.

In MMA, sometimes it's important for the ref to have a good open field tackle. Repeated blows after a concussion are really bad for a fighter, and can take years off his career.

Believe men as a fighter, it's the happiest tackle you will ever receive.

One of the, if not, the Best Ref.

Not the worst, but far from the best.

You're absolutely right. Not about Big John being the worst, but about the official should not be noticed. The reason you kept hearing Big John telling Rogers to quit grabbing the fence is because he was mic'd up. I can tell you for a fact, that BJM doesn't want the mic or the ref-cam on him at all.

As far as tackling a guy off of another. Is is better if he just sat there and said "OK, now you two guys stop it!" and expect them to do it??

Officiating a fight is about protecting the fighters' safety first and foremost. You do this by enforcing the rules (don't grab the fence, etc).

Are all fouls going to be caught?? No way. You can't stop a strike to the back of the head if only one is thrown. You warn, if it happens again, you take a point away.

It doesn't matter if it is baseball, football, basketball, MMA, etc. Every ref will make a mistake in most contests. Some are just more noticeable than others.

And it is funny how the losers are the only ones that complain.

Come to think of it, it would've been funnier to let Brett try to stand up immediately afterwards and ended up looking like Lawler when Diaz was done with him.

I think the saying "absence makes the heart grow fonder" explains why people are such Big John fans now. Back when he reffed regularly, he would fuck things up all the damn time. Now that we don't see him as much, people adore him out of some sort of nostalgia.

Big John is the best ref in the game.

Congratulations!!!!

By far the Dumbest thread ever created on this website and all other websites combined.

Big John, Herb Dean, & Yuji Shimada are the best refs no doubt about it

To question this is idiocy

I think Big John is not great, but generally not terrible. However, I will NEVER get over Busta vs. Lindland. Murilo had to sub him TWICE in one fight to win. Wow.

Kirik -  Big John is the best.

Can someone name a more consistent mma ref out there? Doubtful

Yeah, what's Big John have that qualifies him to be a ref other than a world of experience, a wealth of knowledge, and and a commitment to excellence?

I don't use this function much, but Don Johnson has been VTFD.

Big John is the best.

Retardcontrol, I believe the fight you are talking about is Royce vs Jason DeLucia. Jason was tapping on Royce's legs while standing and was tapping fast. Big John was at the head of Royce (where he should be) and possibly didn't see the tap right away. It would have been hidden from view.

Also this was the 2nd UFC and one of the first fights that Big John officiated.

Kirik -  Big John is the best.

agreed

bjm told shields to stop hitting the back of the head and jake continued unpunished

Worst ref ever has to go to either Peoples or Mirgliotta. I'd give the worst ref title to Mirgliotta and worst judge title to Peoples.

i think he is the best... he looks out for fighters safety without stopping prematurely, and i love when a no class fighter keeps throwing after he stopped the fight and he tackles the mf to the ground. AWESOME! lol