Is Frankie greatest lw of all time if he wins?

he has wins over sherk,hermes franca,tyson griffin and BJ.He would be 13-1 at lw if he wins saturday and would be 2-0 against the previous greatest lw of all time,and the only guy to beat him twice at lw.His only loss is to Maynard who is no slouch

Sounds deserving to me

no. even if he beats Penn, he'd still not be the greatest of all time.

1) 8 wins out of 13 he won via decision. He have to have a better finishing rate to be considered the best ever.

2) Gomi.

disbeliever - If he finishes BJ I will be very impressed. If he plays the judges again and just tries to score points, not so much

this

Brock75thRanger - he has wins over sherk,hermes franca,tyson griffin and BJ.He would be 13-1 at lw if he wins saturday and would be 2-0 against the previous greatest lw of all time,and the only guy to beat him twice at lw.His only loss is to Maynard who is no slouch

Sounds deserving to me
No... but he would be the GSP of lightweights (i.e. lots of decision wins through wrestling and top position)...

Finishes are a better measure IMO... 

True Life: I want to be the greatest LW

lionsoul - 
Brock75thRanger - he has wins over sherk,hermes franca,tyson griffin and BJ.He would be 13-1 at lw if he wins saturday and would be 2-0 against the previous greatest lw of all time,and the only guy to beat him twice at lw.His only loss is to Maynard who is no slouch

Sounds deserving to me
No... but he would be the GSP of lightweights (i.e. lots of decision wins through wrestling and top position)...

Yea, who's GSP finished?

lionsoul - 

Sounds deserving to me

shocking response from you lol

Even if Edgar wins, he'll still have to put together a string of defenses IMO before any talks of "best ever" start coming up.

It's not the Ultimate Finishing Championship,

decision wins should not discredit anything you've accomplished.

As far as GSP, he has more (T)KO's than decisions, so yeah.....

Brock75thRanger - 
lionsoul - 

Sounds deserving to me

shocking response from you lol

Touche... LOL...  But if you consider GSP to be a great WW (which I do... I think he is the 2nd best WW to have ever lived)... it is a great compliment.

If you beat a world class athlete in an MMA match, whether it be a champion collegiate or Olympic caliber wrestler, world class jiu jitsu grappler, or a friggin boxer, you deserve some serious credit. Even if you win by "lay n pray, dry humping, boring fights". I dont care, if a guy is a world class jiu jitsu guy and you lay on him for 3 rounds, he should be able to sweep you or lock a submission on you. It is damn hard to keep a skilled jiu jitsu guy on his back and beat his ass without getting swept or submitted. Edgar deserves some props/ Phuck all this bullshit talk of "winning by exciting measures" or whatever, a win is a win vs top competition.

3 or 4 title defenses later we can come back to this subject...

naderhood - If you beat a world class athlete in an MMA match, whether it be a champion collegiate or Olympic caliber wrestler, world class jiu jitsu grappler, or a friggin boxer, you deserve some serious credit. Even if you win by "lay n pray, dry humping, boring fights". I dont care, if a guy is a world class jiu jitsu guy and you lay on him for 3 rounds, he should be able to sweep you or lock a submission on you. It is damn hard to keep a skilled jiu jitsu guy on his back and beat his ass without getting swept or submitted. Edgar deserves some props/ Phuck all this bullshit talk of "winning by exciting measures" or whatever, a win is a win vs top competition.
+1.  I agree.  Frankie deserves Kudos for his win... though I thought the fight was pretty boring...

Though... FYI... there wasn't really any jujitsu or wrestling going on... it was a boxing match between 2 guys whose specialty is NOT boxing.

well he has to go ahead of BJ obviously,who is still probably considered 1 at this point.Gomi is 3-3 in his last 6 fights so idk where he stands after his ko of Tyson Griffin,he looked so bad verse Florian that should have counted as 3 losses by itself

No, it's too early in his career to make any statement like that.

why do people think 1 fight determine's a guy's legacy?

king mo loses 1 fight and automatically he's "overrated"?

it just means on that night, that 1 guy was better. every fight has a loser, it shouldn't result in writing the guy off for ever.

I think Florian would beat Edgar. Hope we see that fight whether it's for the belt or not.

I think Frankie's a bad match up for BJ at this point in BJ's career. I think that will show no matter who wins Saturday.

Brock75thRanger - well he has to go ahead of BJ obviously,who is still probably considered 1 at this point.Gomi is 3-3 in his last 6 fights so idk where he stands after his ko of Tyson Griffin,he looked so bad verse Florian that should have counted as 3 losses by itself

I would still rank:

- Gomi higher

- Aoki higher

- BJ higher

- his last couple fights notwithstanding... Diego higher

- Gray Maynard higher

- Kenny about even...

- Tyson about even

- Sherk about even

MagSlim - I think Florian would beat Edgar. Hope we see that fight whether it's for the belt or not.

I think Frankie's a bad match up for BJ at this point in BJ's career. I think that will show no matter who wins Saturday.
+1.  Right on the money.  At this point in BJs career... bad matchups are: Frankie, Tyson, Gray (basically wrestlers who are also pretty quick and have tanks that never empty).

lionsoul - 
naderhood - If you beat a world class athlete in an MMA match, whether it be a champion collegiate or Olympic caliber wrestler, world class jiu jitsu grappler, or a friggin boxer, you deserve some serious credit. Even if you win by "lay n pray, dry humping, boring fights". I dont care, if a guy is a world class jiu jitsu guy and you lay on him for 3 rounds, he should be able to sweep you or lock a submission on you. It is damn hard to keep a skilled jiu jitsu guy on his back and beat his ass without getting swept or submitted. Edgar deserves some props/ Phuck all this bullshit talk of "winning by exciting measures" or whatever, a win is a win vs top competition.
+1.  I agree.  Frankie deserves Kudos for his win... though I thought the fight was pretty boring...

Though... FYI... there wasn't really any jujitsu or wrestling going on... it was a boxing match between 2 guys whose specialty is NOT boxing.

It wasnt very exciting, BUT, both guys are well known to have excellent stand-up so even if they aren't boxers, a very strategic back and forth battle is pretty sweet IMO.

Also, I dont think its about who is necessarily the better fighter. Sometimes its about who has a better prepared game plan, and thats where the coaches come into play. If BJ just came out to fight and didnt really have a plan, then he and his coaches were outcoached by Edgar and his team. Edgar obviously had a game plan of staying long and keeping it standing and if it had to go to the ground, then he was the one who was going to take it there. I think Penn rode the bandwagon on his own skill and thought he was good everywhere and lost because of it. The scary thing is, how bad ass will he be this go-round now that he knows Frankie's game and can plan for it???????

shermbe - No, it's too early in his career to make any statement like that.

why do people think 1 fight determine's a guy's legacy?

king mo loses 1 fight and automatically he's "overrated"?

it just means on that night, that 1 guy was better. every fight has a loser, it shouldn't result in writing the guy off for ever.

i think there are certain guys you can make a case for based on the consistant level of top competition,lw being back in the ufc is still fairly new this time around so unless your an older fighter or fought in pride you should be judged by a new fresh standard imo.His average fight by fight level of competition has been way above what Gomi had to deal with during his days of domination.If he beats BJ twice who would you put at 1?

again gomi is 3-3 in his last 6 fights,for this argument we cant freeze a fighters record at some particular time that benefits our argument.What youve done in 1 fight is one thing,what have you done in your last 5-6 fights is a fair judgement

P.S. Gomi is overrated at this point. He needs to string together some wins against tough opponents. With that said, I had Griffin skulldragging him in their fight. Had to do dishes for a week thanks to Gomi's overhand right...