Is Frankie greatest lw of all time if he wins?

^^^^^^  Sure... but that has been BJs problem throughout his career.  He NEVER actually has a gameplan... and has pretty much relied on his natural skills throughout his entire career...

eventually... now that he is getting older... it is going to catch up with him unless he finds a coach or team to train with.

lionsoul - 
Brock75thRanger - well he has to go ahead of BJ obviously,who is still probably considered 1 at this point.Gomi is 3-3 in his last 6 fights so idk where he stands after his ko of Tyson Griffin,he looked so bad verse Florian that should have counted as 3 losses by itself
I would still rank:
- Gomi higher
- Aoki higher
- BJ higher
- his last couple fights notwithstanding... Diego higher
- Gray Maynard higher

- Kenny about even...
- Tyson about even
- Sherk about even<div> </div>

so basically head to head matchups mean nothing to you? i dont get how in the head to head matchups Frankie would be 3-1 vs guys in this list but all he gets credit for is being tied with 2 of the 3 guys he beat.

Maynard is a decision guy himself so if your using the argument of putting him ahead of Frankie because he won head to head then its a little hypicritical considering he doesnt finish (your logic not mine) he doesnt have more fights then Frankie,and his biggest wins arent as big as Frankies biggest wins.

So im confused on the logic you applied to Maynard being above Frankie,not applying to Frankie being above the other guys you mentioned who you said he was even with,Griffin lost his last 2,he lost to Sherk who Frankie beat and he lost to Frankie himself.Yet you have him even with Frankie shows some hate and resentment which would lead me to beleive your a huge fan of a certain fighter who i wont name

I would still rank:
- Gomi higher
- Aoki higher
- BJ higher
- his last couple fights notwithstanding... Diego higher
- Gray Maynard higher

- Kenny about even...
- Tyson about even
- Sherk about even

Joke post? Or just one of the dumbest things posted here?

Sherk "about even"? Edgar tooled Sherk, beat Tyson and Franca whom Sherk also beat, and beat BJ who destroyed Sherk. Sherk's only other win is Florian. Laughable.

Tyson "about even"? He just got tooled by Dunham, KTFO by Gomi, lost to Sherk (whom Edgar tooled), lost to Edgar himself. Laughable.

Diego "higher"? He got utterly humiliated by BJ whom Edgar beat, and decisioned Stevenson and Clay. Laughable.

Gomi "higher"? He is 3-3 in his last six fights.

Frank Edgar is 12-1. His only loss is a decision to an undefeated fighter, 5 fights and more than two years ago. He has dominated Sherk; he has wins over Tyson Griffin, Mark Bocek, Jim Miller, Hermes Franca, Spencer Fisher, and -- oh yeah -- B.J. Penn, the universally regarded #1 lightweight in the world, a guy so "awesome" that nearly everyone said no other lightweight on the planet had anything at all for him.

And oh yeah, almost everyone seems to think Edgar really belongs at 145.

Edgar is awesome but most his wins are by decision & he has not yet defended the belt most people think he should not have won in the first place.

If he continues to clean out the best guys in the ufc & maybe wins a few by finishing his opponent maybe we can talk.

One word:

ALDO

thats rediculous, he has to defend a good 4-5 times before hes in the "greatest ever" picture.

BJ was declared the greatest of all time before he even won a belt, much less defended one 4-5 times (which he failed to do, by the way).

Gomi had what, two title defenses?

If Jose Aldo moves up to 155, no one in that division would beat him.

nope...got dominated by gray...his dancing style is just not a great matchup for bj

goku - nope...got dominated by gray...his dancing style is just not a great matchup for bj

So who's the best? Gomi, who got choked out in seconds by Aurelio at his peak, dominated by BJ, choked out by Diaz?

Only once has BJ ever put more than 3 wins in a row together in his entire career.

Aoki got KTFO by Hansen and looked like an absolute amateur against Melendez.

It's funny how quick people are to dismiss Frankie from the discussion because they don't like his style or whatever. The guy's one loss was a classic "control" decision a couple years ago from a fighter who is still undefeated. Yet you people are laughing at the notion of him being in "greatest" consideration even if he beats TWICE the guy most say has that title.

his dancing style is just not a great matchup for bj

Strangely enough, it doesn't seem to be a great matchup for anybody else, either.

Brock75thRanger -

Is Frankie greatest lw of all time if he wins?

No. Because he doesn't dominate ANY of his major opponents. He just out points people.

^^^ that would be fucking amazing Phone Post

No. Because he doesn't dominate ANY of his major opponents. He just out points people.

So if he "just" outpoints everyone else in the division, he is still not the best? Who is? Someone Frank beat, but who had some pretty finishes over other guys Frank also beat?

goku - nope...got dominated by gray...his dancing style is just not a great matchup for bj

i love the typical one example explanation of why a fighter shouldnt be considered the best in any respective argument.Fedor,subbed in under a minute,he sucks.Although i think hes overrated,more so because overall competition,this is typical.

Anderson Silva,got caught in a jackie chan movie type submission against chonan

GSP got ko'd by Serra

BJ got,well lets face it.Theres about 10 reasons for him,but you get my overall point.You cant dismiss a fighter because of one specific example but rather the accumalitive weight and balance of several fights.On this scale,nobody has a better resume or case at lw then does Frankie to be considered the best.

Gomi,3-3 in his last 6
BJ,assuming he loses the rematch,which is what the thread is based on,has to take a backseat to the guy who beat him 2 out of 2 times.He would have a less impressive overall record then Frankie and his best wins are about the same as Frankies best wins,you have to resort to head to head if you have any level of common sense and no bias.

To say anything else would mean your a delusional BJ fan,which from what i have heard,there are a few of them here,and this is the type of thread that might attract there attention so id expect a little bit of biased input into the thread,but what i was looking and hoping for,not so much expected was some descent valid argument of why Frankie shouldnt be considered the best.

when i say less impressive record then Frankie,i do mean specifically at lw

Nah. Way too early. If he beats BJ and then goes on to defend against Florian/Maynard, Gomi, Dunham, Sotiropoulos, ect... then we can revisit this discussion.

If Edgar wins then I'd say Gomi is the best LW of all time due to his body of work.

no...

no...

lionsoul -  Touche... LOL...  But if you consider GSP to be a great WW (which I do... I think he is the 2nd best WW to have ever lived)... it is a great compliment.

Let me guess, you think Matt Hughes was better?

Lol - no just no. Phone Post

Brock75thRanger - when i say less impressive record then Frankie,i do mean specifically at lw
LOL... you are trying too hard here boss.  The fundamental difference is that when BJ is on... he is a beast.

The guy FINISHES his opponents in a typically dramatic fashion...  It doesn't always happen... and the last characteristic I would attribute to BJ is consistency (i.e. he seems to be flat about once every 4 fights)... but when he is ON... the dude is terrifying to anyone who fights him.

BJ is getting older now... and his best days are behind him... but trying to compare these 2 fighters if you have actually WATCHED all their fights is a bit ridiculous...

With Edgar... great tank... unreal wrestling... great speed... much improved kickboxing... but while he is well matched against BJ... he just isn't as great of a fighter IMO.  As I said before, his style is much more similar to GSPs latest... which is to gain top position in order to outpoint for the win.  Pretty effective... but not very interesting IMO...