Is Kyokushin applicable at all to MMA?

Denis Kelly - 

Dutch kickboxing is more heavily influenced by kyokushin that it is by Muay Thai. Most gyms in holland use the Japanese terminology for kicks , punches, follow kyokushin traditions etc. Dutch kB is basically Nogi  kyokushin with punches to the head allowed

As well, modern KB as prize fighting and the style itself as we know it also has direct lineage from Kyokushin

I still keep advertising posters from early knockdown tournaments. It was always a neat time as a kid when the fighters would show up from all over the world. The Dutch were always well represented.

Thread is motivating me to dig out my old student card which lists the Dojo Kun.

We will pursue the true meaning of the Martial Way, so that in time our senses may be alert.

With true vigor, we will seek to cultivate a spirit of self denial.

We will observe the rules of courtesy, respect our superiors, and refrain from violence.

We will follow our God, and never forget the true virtue of humility.

We will look upwards to wisdom and strength, not seeking other desires.

All our lives, through the discipline of Karate, we will seek to fulfill the true meaning of the Kyokushin Way.

de braco - 
Rakoshi -

I would put the level of usefulness about like Capoeira. Helps some but not gonna make you a consistent winner. 

you must be the stupidest motherfucker alive, or are 10 years years old

This forum was much better when it was filled with people who actually train.

Mr Karate - 
de braco - 
Rakoshi -

I would put the level of usefulness about like Capoeira. Helps some but not gonna make you a consistent winner. 

OSU

williepep - 
Mr Karate - 
de braco - 
Rakoshi -

OSU

OSU

Looks like a great way to learn some bad habits 

no one style is complete, Bruce said to take what works and disregard the rest

my opinion is that the best technique from kyokoshin for mma would be the combination of striking into a sweep and adding ground and pound from top position

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBoB0IFMfPY
Uhtred Ragnarson - 
Target_the_Gash -

It is never a bad thing to know how to kick well, what you do with it is probably up to you. 

At least they don't rely on katas and play fighting with people that don't fight back.

There are no katas in Kyokushin? Is this for real? 

If so, what is the hardest/most legit Kyokushin lineage you know of? Do any of them train punches to the face?

I earned my Nidan in Kyokushin back in 1994. Yes there are kata’s.

Lucas Maximus - 

no one style is complete, Bruce said to take what works and disregard the rest

my opinion is that the best technique from kyokoshin for mma would be the combination of striking into a sweep and adding ground and pound from top position

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBoB0IFMfPY

Interesting sweep, it’s very similar to that which is used in wrestling and judo as a failed or fake uchitmata attempt to then ankle pick the other leg.

This is one area we have not seen much in MMA - lunch kick combos followed by a sweep/trip. We have seen Machida do strike entries then trip and Omigawa use some judo trips but one in tandem with striking combos

Who are the successful fighters in KB or MMA that come from Kyokushin or offfshoot FC style? And yes they have all cross trained like everyone else:

Andy Hug

Francisco Filho

Glaube Feitosa

Tenshin

Kyotaro?

Satake?

Musashi?

The guy that beat Andy Ristie after Ristie KOed Petro (Georgian guy?)

Schilt

GSP

Bas?

Liddell - I don’t think that Kenpo lineage is from Kyokushin right?

Crocop?

^ Davit Kiria (Ashihara)

Katsunori Kikuno's career went to the shitter in the UFC but he was kicking ass for a while with his crescent kick to the body. That is also something that could be a thing in MMA. Jack Slack wrote an article about that ages ago and he was doing well with Alvarez on that alone. Also TKOd Dida.

Tenshin obviously is super cross trained now but is he one of the most complete or rounded KBers today? He had great punches and also punches to the body (is that that inoue?), including knees to the body and kicks from karate in addition to the basic ones like the spinning one he caught that Thai guy with. Great overall arsenal.