Is Maia Ready for Nate?

MAIA ALL THE WAY!
Triangle 4:22 RnD 1.

piratepirate - 
Uncle Justice - 

I agree "in the BJJ world", but for MMA-applied grappling, Marquardt actually has a huge advantage.

Why do you say that? He has only subbed 2 of his ufc opponents.
In 3 years, he has subbed 2 guys.

Maia has subbed 5 of 5 opponents in the UFC,
and subbed 10 guys in 4 years. All of his opponents.

Maia BJJ is good, if not great, no doubt, but this argument doesn't say much about his well-roundedness as a fighter. All he has is BJJ. I would expect him to win by submission, it's what he relies on. You won't see a lot of sub wins from Nate, because he has other strengths to get the job done.

In order for Maia to win, he has to get to the ground, avoid taking damage, and capitalize on a mistake. It took him 3 rounds to finish McDonald. I don't see him finishing Nate.

piratepirate - 
Domingo - 
lol come on?
You cannot say Maia is only slightly ahead of Nate in the BJJ world.
In straight-up old-school gi BJJ, Maia is way ahead of Nate. However in no-gi BJJ, Nate's wrestling and submission defense evens that out quite a bit. 
While Maia has looked great, keep in mind who he's faced in MMA. Quarry and Herrman are okay on the mat, but nothing amazing. Sonnen's a submission magnet. Jason McDonald's good - and he won the early part of that fight, too.
Still, there's no denying that Maia's special. The fight's going to be really good. Nate is better at more things than Maia is, and by a wider margin. He should definitely be the favorite.

You're cutting down all of Maia's opponents,
who has Nate beat that is so much better?

Kampmann and Gouveia are better than probably anyone Maia beat. Sonnen's weakness as we all know is submission defense, hence why that match was put together, it was a good matchup for Maia.

Kampmann fight most people had even on paper, and I recall a couple of people on here thinking Wilson would KO Nate, and Nate owned both those guys on the feet.

question is Nate ready for Maia

ruptureclothing -  Demian by submission.  His BJJ is simply on another level right now.

Simply idiotic.  I mean, do you know the sport?  The answer is an easy no.  This is not NAGA or ADCC.

Uncle Justice - 
piratepirate - 
MoreThanUFC - 

BJJ = Maia with a slight edge.  Nate is a Black Belt himself

lol come on?

You cannot say Maia is only slightly ahead of Nate in the BJJ world.

I agree "in the BJJ world", but for MMA-applied grappling, Marquardt actually has a huge advantage.

In straight BJJ, Maia is on another level, but I don't know if he's specifically adapted his game to the high level of MMA grappling that Marquardt has. 

I would guess Nate will use a similar strategy that he did for the Lister fight, where he played a painfully safe top game to avoid sweeps and subs and landed "smart" GnP that would not endanger his position.  He also beat Lister up on the feet, and although I think Nate is confident in his ground game, I think he might avoid the ground at all costs with his solid T/D defense and just sprawl and brawl.

Thank you, sir.  Someone who actually understands MMA.  Dude, Lister is stud on the ground, and Nate nullified him.  Maia is no different.  This is MMA, not ADCC.

DreamerMMA -  LOL @ Maia only being "slightly" better at BJJ than Marquardt.

Marquardt may have a blackbelt, but he's still nowhere near Maia's level in BJJ.

This fight hits the ground it's tappity tap for Marquardt.

You are so clueless.  Really, it hits the ground and Nate's done?  Um, the Lister fight?  I remember hearing the same shit then. 

I want to be the first to welcome you to MMA, and say hello from all of us.  Ground and pound is a bitch. 

Bitch is Dreaming MMA.

Joey132 - question is Nate ready for Maia

THANK YOU!

I don't see how anyone can find a hole in Demian's game right now.  There are a lot of unanswered questions, such as his striking ability, but they exist only becuase he has not needed to use anything but BJJ to win his fights.

I think Nate will have to avoid  the td to win.  Nate has great wrestling (Nate is just an all around great fighter), but Demians td's are something else.

I am very excited to see how this fight pans out.

Humboldt

MoreThanUFC - 
DreamerMMA -  LOL @ Maia only being "slightly" better at BJJ than Marquardt.

Marquardt may have a blackbelt, but he's still nowhere near Maia's level in BJJ.

This fight hits the ground it's tappity tap for Marquardt.

You are so clueless.  Really, it hits the ground and Nate's done?  Um, the Lister fight?  I remember hearing the same shit then. 

I want to be the first to welcome you to MMA, and say hello from all of us.  Ground and pound is a bitch. 

Bitch is Dreaming MMA.

You seem upset.

ttt

I think Nate will take this but it is gonna be a real tough fight.

Maia seems to be one of the last of a dieing breed of single dominate teknique [in this case bjj]fighters thats been able to excell in mma. I hope he can continue his streak but Nate looks way too good at every other aspect of the game and he's pretty damn good at bjj. Seems like a hugh hill to climb for Maia.

MORE THAN UFC-

Dear God, learn some Jits my fren. Maia and Lister are not the same. Maia is better than Lister, as well as having a totally different skill set on the mat. Lister likes that rubber guard and go for heel hooks, ever see Maia do that stuff?Either Maia by submission or Decesion after 3 rounds of domination. No disrespect to Nate but he aint the one to stop Maia IMO.

I would say maias bjj is way ahead of nate weather talking mma or straight grappling. Also yes nate is a way better wrestler but so was chael. Plus it's pretty hard to defend guard pull. nate defintly has more ways to win, but if it goes to ground big advantage maia. ethier way great fight I'm looking forward to it.

Who is better on the ground, Maia or Leites? That is a serious question.

If Leites could not tap Nate I do not think Maia can. And Maia will not have a two point advantage in his fight. Nate wins by dec or TKO.

Domingo - Nate's a BJJ black belt himself

And yet he might as well be a purple belt compared to Maia.

Yeah, there are black belts and then guys like Demian, Garcia, Xande etc.
I've rolled with black belts and just did some good sparring with one yesterday. Against your average black belts I got my moments even though I get tooled eventually.
But it's nothing like rolling with Demian. There's absolutely no hope of surviving. Ever.

MoreThanUFC - Strength = Nate by a mile
Standup = Nate by a mile
Wrestling = Nate by a mile
BJJ = Maia with a slight edge.  Nate is a Black Belt himself
Heart = pretty even, but Maia hasnt been tested.
Experience = Please....

BJJ of Maia is more than a slight edge over Nate. Maia submits other world champion black belts. Maia's BJJ level is off the charts. Nate is "just" a regular black belt IMO. His competition record is ???

And you can't compare Dean Lister to Maia. Dean Lister subbed 3 people once he got to the big leagues. One in Pride, and 2 in the UFC. 3 sub wins out of 9 fights at top level. Maia has subbed 5 out of 5 UFC opponents. Their MMA grappling is totally different.

And Chael was a WAY better wrestler than Nate ever was, so to say that Maia can't take him down is just foolish. The striking is the only thing that we can verify Nate has the advantage in. But Maia spars with Wanderlei on a regular basis, so I think his chin might be pretty solid.

Nate's safest plan is to do the Dan henderson/Palhares strategy. Run like hell and throw punches in between laps....

Maia's BJJ is off the chain.  Great BJJ is always a dangerous matchup.

I give Nate the advantage standing to Nate though.