Is Maia Ready for Nate?

Nate's ground game is extremely underrated. Although I will agree, at Jackson's no one has BJJ at Nate's level.

Lister and Leites were supposed to sub him in their fights too, and we all know how that went.

Maia hasn't fought anyone of Nate's caliber. Nate's going to put a beating on him.

The Sleeper - Nate's ground game is extremely underrated. Although I will agree, at Jackson's no one has BJJ at Nate's level.

Lister and Leites were supposed to sub him in their fights too, and we all know how that went.

Maia hasn't fought anyone of Nate's caliber. Nate's going to put a beating on him.
Nate's grappling is underrated but Maia has been on FIRE

No one has any answers for Maia's grappling.

When it hits the floor, its about over. Nate will show and prove how fucking good he and Maia really are.

Nate is very strong. Maia has been red hot. It's going to either go one way or the other...you can mark my words on that!

Strength = Nate by a mile

Standup = Nate by a mile

Wrestling = Nate by a mile

BJJ = Maia with a slight edge.  Nate is a Black Belt himself

Heart = pretty even, but Maia hasnt been tested.

Experience = Please....

Maia:

Win Chael Sonnen Submission (Triangle Choke) UFC 95 - Sanchez vs. Stevenson 2/21/2009 1 2:37
Win Nate Quarry Submission (Rear Naked Choke) UFC 91 - Couture vs. Lesnar 11/15/2008 1 2:13
Win Jason MacDonald Submission (Rear Naked Choke) UFC 87 - Seek and Destroy 8/9/2008 3 2:44
Win Ed Herman Technical Submission (Triangle Choke) UFC 83 - Serra vs. St. Pierre II 4/19/2008 2 2:27
Win Ryan Jensen Submission (Rear Naked Choke) UFC 77 - Hostile Territory 10/20/2007 1 2:40
Win Ryan Stout TKO (Shoulder Injury) GFC - Evolution 5/19/2007 1 1:54
Win Fabio Nascimento Submission (Guillotine Choke) SC1 - Super Challenge 1 10/7/2006 1 0:35
Win Gustavo Machado Decision (Unanimous) SC1 - Super Challenge 1 10/7/2006 2 5:00
Win Vitelmo Kubis Bandeira Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) SC1 - Super Challenge 1 10/7/2006 1 3:30
Win Lukasz Chlewicki Submission (Armbar) The Cage Vol. 4 - Redemption 12/3/2005 1 4:22

WHY is the UFC having this fight? MAIA should fight Anderson Silva after Anderson Fights and beats OKAMI. Then after he is done with Both Okami and Maia, THEN Anderson should fight and beat Marquart.

Then after that should just be fun matchups, Anderson Vs. Vanderlei, Vs Robbie Lawler, Vs Jake Sheilds

Everyone complained and said they wanted clear cut #1 contender matches. Well, here one is. This should truely be a match of Technique vs. Strength. Nates sub defense is pretty stong, but Maia's subs are slicker than owl shit.

This is a match that can go either way quickly imo.

Juijitsuboxer - WHY is the UFC having this fight? MAIA should fight Anderson Silva after Anderson Fights and beats OKAMI.

Dana said FUCK BOTH OF THEM and ask Vitor to fight Anderson

i m going with nate

I've got Maia by decision (positional dominance)

Nate is going to win.

Very tough fight to call.

Marquardts TD defense is going to be key if he wants to win.

nevermind, disregard

piratepirate - 
MoreThanUFC - 

BJJ = Maia with a slight edge.  Nate is a Black Belt himself

lol come on?

You cannot say Maia is only slightly ahead of Nate in the BJJ world.

I agree "in the BJJ world", but for MMA-applied grappling, Marquardt actually has a huge advantage.

In straight BJJ, Maia is on another level, but I don't know if he's specifically adapted his game to the high level of MMA grappling that Marquardt has. 

I would guess Nate will use a similar strategy that he did for the Lister fight, where he played a painfully safe top game to avoid sweeps and subs and landed "smart" GnP that would not endanger his position.  He also beat Lister up on the feet, and although I think Nate is confident in his ground game, I think he might avoid the ground at all costs with his solid T/D defense and just sprawl and brawl.

lol come on?

You cannot say Maia is only slightly ahead of Nate in the BJJ world.
In straight-up old-school gi BJJ, Maia is way ahead of Nate. However in no-gi BJJ, Nate's wrestling and submission defense evens that out quite a bit. 

While Maia has looked great, keep in mind who he's faced in MMA. Quarry and Herrman are okay on the mat, but nothing amazing. Sonnen's a submission magnet. Jason McDonald's good - and he won the early part of that fight, too.

Still, there's no denying that Maia's special. The fight's going to be really good. Nate is better at more things than Maia is, and by a wider margin. He should definitely be the favorite.

what were the wrestling creditionals of Maias last opponent? Didnt he get thrown on his head? Nate better not be thinking he wont be on his back in this fight, because thats gonna happend.

And in the BJJ world Maia is head and shoulders above Nate, and has shown his BJJ translates brilliantly into mma. It will be another great win for Maia.

Demian by submission.  His BJJ is simply on another level right now.

LOL @ Maia only being "slightly" better at BJJ than Marquardt.

Marquardt may have a blackbelt, but he's still nowhere near Maia's level in BJJ.

This fight hits the ground it's tappity tap for Marquardt.

Tapping out McDonald is a hell of a feat. Seriously, McDonald has a sick ground game and Maia looked SO much better.

Nate is going to show all of us how good he is and how good Maia is.

I think in MMA Maia BJJ is better than Lister's MMA BJJ, so it will be interesting to see how Nate deals with that.

I really hope Maia wins; I think he is a great representative for the sport. That being said, Nate matches up real well; he has a big advantage standing, and is good enough with BJJ to know what not to do with Demian. Maia can win this, but I think it will take a mistake on Nate's part for him to do it.