Is stepping back always bad?

I learned that back straight up is the equivalent to suicide in boxing. When I first started, it was my natural reaction to flinch away from punches and back straight up. This was the wrong, wrong, wrong thing to do, since my opponent could move forward just as easily and I was still in harm's way. I was taught to distance myself by pivoting away from my opponent's line of fire and then backing out.

However, now that I am a little bit more seasoned, I feel like I am seeing quite a few pros back straight up from their opponents. Some of the fighters I see doing this use it as a trap for their opponents. Rhythmically ake two steps straight back and suddenly break the rhythm and catch your opponent coming in.

Even though he is not a top-notch boxer, Robbie Lawler uses this technique VERY effectively. In fact, his match versus Aaron Riley seems to illustrate both the effective use of backing up (Lawler's step back and throw a bomb as the opponent follows), and the reason why you are not supposed to back straight up from your opponent (Riley moves straight back from Lawlers straight punches and Lawler keeps moving forward and tagging him.)

Is backing straight up to lure a guy in a low-level tactic? Would Lawler get demolished by a decent boxer trying to pull this off? Are they any times when it is okay to back straight up?

Any input is appreciated.

fos

Didn´t Gatti pull this off a couple of times in the second fight vs. Ward?

It depends on the type of boxer that you are fighting. If you're fighting a pressure guy or a combination fighter, then backing straight up could be disastrous, but against a counter puncher, it won't be as bad because it is against their incliniation to pursue...

If you have the speed and timing for it cool. I was always too cautious to do it intentionally. I did it by accident and only got away with it because of the southpaw thing.

How RJJ KO'ed Toney. He did the gamecock move, Toney backed straight back and RJJ caught him with the left hook.

Dropped Toney not KO'd him.

I don't know if it's low level, but backing up thenpivoting and countering seems to work rather well, especially against overly aggresive opponents. It'sone of the very few things I can do that makes me lookeven remotely slick.I think a lot of pros do it, either because:
a) They're trying to set a trap
b) They're getting their ass kicked and not thinkingstraight.My natural inclination was never to back out or runbut to stumble forward and hold.

Not KO...sorry. I meant drop.

"Learn to move back then off to the side at an angle. Preferably by just taking one step back then moving sideways."

Yeah, I always liked that. Sometimes you'll get one who likes to rush when they see you move backwards. Lean back and then sidestep/pivot. Can occasionally catch em with counter hooks.

NEVER go backwards only sideways, if you go backwards
you will be tracked to a corner and pummelled, plus you have no attempt to counter attack.

stepping backward kind of falls into that "time and
place for everything" catagory of things. Good and
very useful. Where people go wrong is because it's so
natural and easy a solution to the problem of getting
hit, they use it too often.

Of all the bad habits that a guy could have, stepping
back isn't nearly as bad as keeping your hands too low
or not moving your head at all.

I donot understand why you people do not listen to me Ive been boxing for tweleve years under the best amatuer trainers in NJ. steppping back is a bomb waiting to go off. If the other man is faster than you
your momentum is going backwards you will eat the bomb.

Nothing is "always" anything.

"I donot understand why you people do not listen to me Ive been boxing for tweleve years under the best amatuer trainers in NJ. steppping back is a bomb waiting to go off. If the other man is faster than you your momentum is going backwards you will eat the bomb."

Probably something to do with your lack of WBC, WBA and/or IBF titles and that fact that said title-holders back up from time to time with no ill effects.

Toki, sometime we will get in the ring and you go straight back and we will see if we can find your head after I knock it off your body. And as far as my lack of titles I held JO titles and I spent four years in the army. So you just wait and see.

Martinburke - I tend to take somewhere between one
to three steps back. Three seems to be the magic
number that lets me know he's really going to chase.

The stumbling and holding at least makes my landing on
the canvas a little softer. Sometimes I hope I get
lucky and headbutt him.

I don't know I've never taken a step back in a fight in
my life. maybe that explains why now I have a badly
broken jaw that I'm waiting to heel. I'm always all over everybody. I have that Jake LaMotta style and I
never back up and I never had to. If things get to hot
I'll slip to either side and come up punching. It's like the Jack Dempsey roll punch except I come up to
the side. But I can take a punch and have never been
knocked out and have six or seven broken noses and a
broken jaw to prove it.

Bro, you don't know me and you don't know what I'm about. I've been boxing for 12 yrs. 2 at Ferrigno's Gym in Bayville, 6 at the Middletown P.A.L 2 yrs in the
Army and 1 on a team where I got my jaw broke. and if
you ever got your jaw broke If you ever got hit in the
face, you'd know that it takes 6 mos. for the jaw bone
and the cartiledge to reset. As a matter of fact my
head trainer is British you f'in scot and has fought
in Britian. I missed my chance to go to England with
the team this summer b/c my jaw. But next time I do
look me up while we are fighting the Isreali team. I'll
be the Italian kid kicking everyone's ass or arse however you people say it. In a year or two you'll all
know my name and alot of you that think Im just talking
will feel real stupid. As a matter of fact thank you to everyone who talks against me b/c it motivates me to
train harder while half of you are doing nothing but reading and typing.You'll know my name!

"Toki, sometime we will get in the ring and you go straight back and we will see if we can find your head after I knock it off your body. And as far as my lack of titles I held JO titles and I spent four years in the army. So you just wait and see."

Good. I spend the same time in the Corps. Should be fun. But, the point still remains, my little keyboard warrior. REAL champs back up every now and again and if done properly, can be done with few ill effects. I, personally try not to do it, but there are times when it is practical. When someone likes to jab, wait for you to back up and rush. I'll move back to draw them in, pivot and go for the counter left. Whittaker moved back a LOT and I can say that he had one of the best defenses outside of Willie Pep Jr.

You're an amusing little thing. Keep talking. I need a laugh or two.

jlstrongbo,

I think most of us agree with you to a point, that backing up is fundamentally a tactically inferior position; but when an experienced fighter needs to he can use movement in ANY direction to his advantage.

Also, some trainers specialize in different methods. I would think you would have seen that in your different trainers. A good trainer will be able to maximise your abilities and attributes; a bad one will take all his fighters and make them fight "his" way.

And in your defense, I don't think anyone needs to have a championship belt to know how to train, many of the worlds best trainers aren't champs. Some weren't even good boxers...

Ray

www.absolutejkd.com

"And in your defense, I don't think anyone needs to have a championship belt to know how to train, many of the worlds best trainers aren't champs. Some weren't even good boxers..."

Leave the LHW and HW divisions alone, please.