Is the armbar from mount...

The stupidest move in grappling?! 'Oh hey guy on bottom I'm bored of crushing you to death and fantasising about how I would be punching you in the face if it were MMA. here let me take my weight off you and give you room to move.' I bet Marcelo already ditched it from his repertoire. Phone Post 3.0

Wha...?

I would like to hear an argument in favour of the traditional armbar over any submission from mount where the weight stays on the guy on bottom. Phone Post 3.0

GongandDash - I would like to hear an argument in favour of the traditional armbar over any submission from mount where the weight stays on the guy on bottom. Phone Post 3.0

If you knew how to do an armbar from mount correctly you wouldn't need to hear an argument.

Oh snap!! Phone Post 3.0

I agree with this idea somewhat, which is why I far prefer Americana from mount. Stay on top the whole time.

There is definitely logic in op's question. The risk of losing an excellent position can greatly out weigh the reward. That's why you make sure you are doing a really good armbar with excellent control . It shouldn't feel like a hail Mary when you go for it. Phone Post 3.0

The Ghost Of Swayze -
GongandDash - I would like to hear an argument in favour of the traditional armbar over any submission from mount where the weight stays on the guy on bottom. Phone Post 3.0

If you knew how to do an armbar from mount correctly you wouldn't need to hear an argument.
Exactly.

There's more than one way to finish an armbar from mount. Keep training and you'll get there one day kiddo. Phone Post 3.0

forget the mounted armbar. because this technique allows you to keep your weight on the guy better

http://youtu.be/4a0c09WDhhY

someone please help me embed

GongandDash - The stupidest move in grappling?! 'Oh hey guy on bottom I'm bored of crushing you to death and fantasising about how I would be punching you in the face if it were MMA. here let me take my weight off you and give you room to move.' I bet Marcelo already ditched it from his repertoire. Phone Post 3.0

I take it you're new to this "jiu jitsu" thing.

it's one of the best moves in bjj; especially for mma (

Mounted armbar is one of the most effective submissions from mount; a position that is devastating if you can hold it with punches (making it a perfect way to finish a match). Also, more importantly, it is also extremely easy to hit when someone is bridging you off of mount.

Rickson and Paulo Filho would hold mount, beat people into exhaustion and finish with the armbar when 1) the round was about to end 2) they were being bridged off (see nogueira vs cro cop)

The traditional way people teach mounted armbar is not how it usually happens in real matches (its similar to how people demonstrate judo throws).

If you enjoy playing closed guard you will love/understand mount. If you don't play closed guard you probably will hate it.

I agree with OP. I mean, look at this fucking idiot. It's probably his first tournament.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=796647283746298

rnaviaux - I agree with this idea somewhat, which is why I far prefer Americana from mount. Stay on top the whole time.
Good luck with Americana on anyone close to your size that's any good. You leave opponents centerline to do this and it's just not very hard for him to bridge, pressure with his free arm and disrupt the position. Phone Post 3.0

hedgefunder - 
rnaviaux - I agree with this idea somewhat, which is why I far prefer Americana from mount. Stay on top the whole time.
Good luck with Americana on anyone close to your size that's any good. You leave opponents centerline to do this and it's just not very hard for him to bridge, pressure with his free arm and disrupt the position. Phone Post 3.0

Good luck defending the Americana on anyone close to your size that's any good. They leave their hips mobile over your centerline and it's just not very hard for him to stop your bridge and pressure with your free arm.

All moves have counters; we probably shouldn't bother doing ANY of them.

rydney - 
judodoc - The traditional way people teach mounted armbar is not how it usually happens in real matches (its similar to how people demonstrate judo throws).

If you enjoy playing closed guard you will love/understand mount. If you don't play closed guard you probably will hate it.

That piece of insight just answered so many of my questions/problems I can't believe it. Cannot thank you enough.

shocking I said something useful to someone on the internet.

GongandDash - The stupidest move in grappling?! 'Oh hey guy on bottom I'm bored of crushing you to death and fantasising about how I would be punching you in the face if it were MMA. here let me take my weight off you and give you room to move.' I bet Marcelo already ditched it from his repertoire. Phone Post 3.0

I dont pull off many mounted armbars because Im not good enough at them yet and often get reversed. That is not because the technique is stupud, its because I need to work on it more. If you think a mounted armbar is stupid, its because you are not using technique to get it, you are just grabbing the arm and sloppily spinning around for the armbar. That is not an insult either, it takes time to do it right. I often go for sloppy armbars from top.

This is a video of a really technical armbar setup from mount from my instructor, Jamie Cruz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGmDkE9wBXg&list=WL&index=100

S mount armbar.... gg. Next?. Phone Post 3.0

I prefer doing mount armbars out of rickson's twisted arm control. It's a wayyy more conservative and powerful position. You can throw punches and break the guys will. It's a much safer setup for a mounted armbar Phone Post 3.0