Is the Conor myth finally over?

Not saying Conor wasn’t good, even great at times.

But from my observation he was largely an overhyped poster boy who was great at marketing himself.
Can’t hold any of that against him.

But IMO he was mostly a front-runner with dynamic striking and above average power, who capitalized on a couple very big wins.

Putting him in the GOAT conversations was always silly and unrealistic IMO – unless money is your main criteria.

So what is the current UG consensus?

Is the myth and over-hype dead – or are the fanboys still clinging to their flamboyant hero?

6 Likes

Dude was a great FW, one of the best. But we’ve all seen how it goes when he’s not picking on little guys.

16 Likes

Yes, FINISHED

1 Like

Inactivity fucked him in the end. If he stuck to mma and no boxing or whiskey he would’ve had some other marquee wins no doubt. All the inactivity killed his gains and progression. He used to be obsessed with the fight game. He prob pays close attention and loves it but he isn’t obsessed with new movements and techniques anymore.

8 Likes

HE CAN STILL HAVE ENTERTAINING FIGHTS WITH A GUY LIKE T-FERG

9 Likes

He was the fugazi of all fugazis

4 Likes

Conor was/is a great fighter.

But I also think there was a bit of luck involved in some of his wins.

5 Likes

The worst thing that can happen to a fighter is massive success early on
mr t GIF

6 Likes

He’s still the first fighter in UFC history to hold 2 belts at the same time. That alone makes him legendary. He definitely shoulda fought more at FW though and get some title defenses to solidify himself though

6 Likes

It was more than just a couple trolls. Conor has a large fanbase, and there have been a ton of conversations throughout the past 5 years or so.

And my post was nowhere near a rant or a thesis.
I’ve been away from the UG for a while and just interested in the comments.
Beyond that, I’m transparent about my opinion – but also give Conor his due credit.

If you would like to read some of my “rants”, feel free to seek out my old threads, for your education.

BTW:
Screen name checks out.

5 Likes

He’s definitely legendary.

How much of that is fighting skill/accomplishment vs publicity/hype??

At this point he has lost more of his high-profile (legacy fights) than he has won.
Nate, Khabib, and Poirier have the better of him head-to-head.

So where does he stand now – legacy wise – compared to a few years ago?

I agree more time at FW would probably have worked out better for him.

1 Like

Yeh its over

So is a 4th fight necessary?

Who wants a 4th fight?

Conor was definitely getting beat up on the ground, but with a standup restart the next round a lot could have happened.

Conor bringing the wife into it was a bit much IMO.
Also, saying he was boxing Dustin’s head off was not really accurate lol.

The guys don’t like eachother.

1 Like

The Lord Of The Rings Mueller Report GIF by reactionseditor

1 Like

His biggest wins are knocking out Jose Aldo and Eddie Alvarez. Both were champs and both were dangerous fighters. And he knocked them both out effortlessly

3 Likes

And I’d argue beating Cerrone was a big win too since he fought a guy who’s been at WW before, and Conor began as a FW

1 Like

I always maintained that he was fantastic at featherweight. At lightweight, he just doesn’t have what it takes. Those guys at lightweight are animals. Not to say that featherweight isn’t littered with savages nowadays as well, but lightweight is a damn hellhole.

5 Likes

He’s 12 months off to rehab the leg. No one will give a fuck by then and Conor will be even rustier than he was for the last two fights

5 Likes

Fantastic at FW? Why cause he cut to near death so he outsized everyone. GTFOH

6 Likes

Agreed.

The Aldo fight especially, is a huge feather in his cap.
And I don’t discredit “flash KOs”.
If you swing and your opponent goes down, you did your job.
Full credit due and given.

Redemption is for rematches.

2 Likes