Is the Conor myth finally over?

That’s basically what I said in my first post, he had a chance to be the best to which you disagreed with saying his ground game wasn’t good enough.

Come on man

@Rickmassmma For sure Chad wouldn’t have gassed without all the body work Conor put in.

@onepunchJD I hear you, brother. I think Anderson’s submissions from bottom weren’t great. His bottom game was mostly like Conor’s: defensively sound.

Yeah… “a chance”.

I have “a chance” of winning the Powerball too.

A lot of fighters have “a chance” to be one of the greats.

Conor was simply never on the path to be GOAT.
You think he was (or should have been)… so evidently we disagree.

We can all make points in the abstract.

Conor was a champion, so he certainly came closer than most guys.
But talking about the greatest fighters to ever do it – that’s an elite list man!
We can’t just start throwing names out there because they looked impressive for a while, or had potential.
I think BJ Penn came closer to the GOAT conversation, and had more “potential” than Conor. But as great as Penn was, he doesn’t make the GOAT list.

I don’t really know how else to explain it.

“Potential” is a really big word.
I guess you can have the opinion that Conor had GOAT potential.
And I can have the opinion that I would have needed to see a lot more, to even start thinking along those lines.

Maybe I just have a higher standard.

Regardless… good talk, and agree to disagree.

His lack of grappling would always keep him from GOAT status, also his ascension was highly supported by the UFC unlike guys like Charles.

GSP ans Jon Jones are GOATS, Conor had too many holes from day 1 and was fed guys like Siver and Cerrone.

2 Likes

How can you be an overhyped poster boy if you were “great”? I do agree he’s been over the hill for years.

I personally think Conor was very good with moments of “greatness”.
He didn’t have some long run of dominance, or go over a decade competing against all comers regardless of weight.

But… Let’s just say he is “great”.
No big argument there.

Is he “great” enough to be the most popular fighter and biggest draw ever?
Or is there more to his popularity?

I personally think the substance never lived up to the hype.
Part of that is due to the UFC business model, and part of that due to Conor’s own self- promotion.

And I don’t blame Conor a bit.

But remember when Ronda Rousey was “Once in ever”?

IMO, with Conor, the hype was greater than the accomplishment and the ability.

Yeah Conor is cooked and good riddance.

Was a decent lightweight striker put in the 145 division to look good and he did. His big mouth and lack of class endeared him to millions of people who like to talk shit with no consequences.

I doubt we see him again, he never once overcame adversity to win a fight he was losing, and I don’t think he’ll overcome this.

1 Like

That’s not true. He was a live one at 145 & overcame adversity vs Mendes & Holloway. Once he got too big (ego & weight) he lost what he worked hard to get. He stopped training right, drugs etc. Now he’s just a parody of what he was.

1 Like

I disagree.

Conor was winning the fight against Mendes, he got taken down, begged the ref stand them up. They got stood up and Conor finished the fight. Not much adversity there.

Holloway didn’t have Conor in trouble in that fight. He just didn’t go away from Conor’s devastating powah. So Conor had to wrestle him, diving for dear life. Still a fight he was winning.

1 Like

He tore his knee in that fight. Worked through it & won.

1 Like

Conor, Nate and Masvidal don’t lose cred when they lose.

Ah yes he “tore” his acl, shooting doubles and turning corners on the take down. I can’t remember did he ever produce a scan for his knee? Haha

If you want to play that game then same applies to Khabib. He reached near death levels more than Conor ever did.

2 Likes

he subbed Hendo and lutter and didn’t get subbed by maia and subbed chael

his ground game is nothing like conors

1 Like

Cerrone was 4-6 (4 of the 6 losses via TKO) heading into the Conor fight. He was a shell of himself so I don’t think it was a significant victory for Conor by any stretch.

Conor was a great fighter but not a goat.

He’s definitely one of the best 145ers of all time. A fight with him and Max at that weight would have been very interesting.

However, the 155 division is a different ball game. No size advantage with the exception of the Alvarez matchup. Conor was a front runner and did well when he had the size advantage. When there was no size advantage, he seemed to struggle.

1 Like

Hmmmm

1 Like

LMAO the revisionist history

Conor was bloodied and getting wrestlefucked, Mendes went for the infamous alpha male guillotine which was supposed to be deadly to a 1 dimensional non-grappler like Conor, at which point McGregor pulls out one of the craziest, slickest escapes ever witnessed in the octagon, which got him back to his feet.

3 Likes

Exactly. I was going to reply to him but he’s literally making stuff up so probably no use.

Mythic Mac?

1 Like