Islam beat short notice Dan Hooker and short notice Bobby Green

RDA pulled out of the fight the last time he was booked vs Makhachev though of course he is not afraid. Dariush just pulled out vs Makhachev as well. RDA is booked vs Fizaev. Dariush is injured and could not show up for the #1 contenders fight. 10-0 vs 11-0, Makhachev vs Oliveira is the fight that makes sense.

As of right now, yes, it’s the logical fight to make.

The only fight I want to see more than Oliveira-Islam is Oliveira vs the winner of Volkonowski/Holloway

If the UFC does the next title fight in Abu Dhabi instead of Brazil for Charles that’s some BS

It would be ridiculous to waste a fight of this supposed magnitude in Abu Dhabi. The only reason big fights were held there was because of covid. And the only card with top-notch PPV buys involved Conor.

Not to mention the blatant favoritism it would show.

Not exactly.

In April 2019, DCT Abu Dhabi announced a five-year partnership with the UFC to stage one major event each year through to 2023.

You’d still be throwing away PPV buys in the western market for a noon UFC event. That can’t be good business especially with a fight of this supposed magnitude.

Not disagreeing. Just saying it was a longer term deal that just happened to be favorable due to covid, versus because of it.

You’re comparing one of the worst divisions for competition against one of the most competitive, though.

2 Likes

To me losses from years ago aren’t relevant at all. The point I was trying to make in mentioning his record/history in the UFC was that Beneil has fought everyone and has paid his dues in the division, and that his win over Tony alone is worth more than anything Islam has done. Losses shouldn’t take away from a fighter’s run over a period of 8 years. Islam will obviously get the shot because nobody else is available so none of this matters but I just wanted to say Beneil deserves it more. Even 2-3 fights ago people were saying Islam should get the shot.

You don’t want losses from years ago to be relevant but you want the fact that Dariush beat a couple fighters before Islam beat them to be relevant?

How is Beneil beating 2021 Tony Ferguson relevant to anything? Tony has a single win over a top 15 fighter and it happened a billion years ago. He is nobody in the 2022 LW division. It don’t matter what you did in this sport five or six years ago. What are you capable of doing in 2022? You guys are so obsessed with names and not looking at performance.

Beneil is not in the mix right now. He is injured, did not show up for the comp. He is on the bench.

Beneil has been sitting out and Islam just beat Moises, Hooker and Green while Beneil has done nothing in that time. Islam is at the worlds competing, not Beneil.

Beneil deserves it more? He is not competing. He is out of action.

Good luck to him when he comes back but I’m sorry…if you are injured and don’t show up for the worlds or the NCAAs nobody talks about you deserving it more, you are a non-factor. Want to compete? Great, show up. He can’t. The win over Tony don’t mean nothing because three other guys beat Tony recently and they are still showing up and competing. Thats why you saw one of them win on the main card and you saw the other two in the main event on Sat night.

I think what he’s saying is that if you are going to start discounting a win over Tony now, then it’s just as easy to discount wins over Moises, Hooker, and Green. But at the end of the day, fights need to be made and you pick whomever is available. And it looks like Islam is that guy.

1 Like

Yes this is what I mean ^^

None of it matters because Islam is getting the shot, I just wanted to make that point. Especially since people were calling for him to get the shot before he beat Green, and some even before Hooker.

Islam is next? What about Benny?

He’s injured and Charles has no other challengers at the moment. Benny was supposed to fight Islam but pulled out because of an injury.

Ah I didn’t realize the injury was that bad!

2 Likes

Lol just realized I posted that graphic on the wrong thread