Islam Makhachev Reveals UFC Rejected an Offer to Return in the Summer:

1 Like

The Russian has been out of action since his clash with [Alexander Volkanovski](Islam Makhachev UFC Fight News, Videos & Pictures | BJPenn.com
Four months later, the lightweight titleholder still isn’t any closer to his return to the octagon. While ‘The Great’ is slated to fight at UFC 290 next month, Islam Makhachev’s next fight is yet to be announced. Dana White has previously hinted that they’re planning to have the champion return in Abu Dhabi, at UFC 294.

However, that’s not the plan that Islam Makhachev originally wanted. The lightweight champion recently discussed his hope to return this summer in an interview with Eagle FC. According to the Russian, the UFC turned down his offer to fight, instead stating that they needed him to wait.

It’s worth noting that the lightweight champion also added that he has no idea who he will fight next. Islam Makhachev stated that he hoped that Beneil Dariush would be his next title challenger, but he lost to Charles Oliveira earlier this month.
“I was in the United States, met with the UFC. I asked for a fight in the summer,” Islam Makhachev stated in an interview at Eagle FC 52. (translated by YukaHero) “But they told me that I wouldn’t have time to fight in Abu Dhabi if I had a fight in the summer.”

He continued, “I don’t know [who I will fight next]. Maybe [Dustin] Poirier. He has a big name in the UFC. Well… Can’t say for sure. Dariush lost, everything turned upside down. I can’t say anything for now.”makhachev/alexander-volkanovski-eyeing-potential-bmf-title-fight-if-islam-makhachev-is-busy-i-can-have-three-belts/) in February. The two champions headlined UFC 284 and put on an instant classic. At the end of the five-round bout, it was Makhachev who retained the lightweight title by unanimous decision.

1 Like

He’s such a goof, if this actually happened all he’d have had to do was tweet about it. Instead he waits until we’re closer to October then makes some dumb shit up. If he wanted to fight this summer, he could have.

6 Likes

They should have thrown him Gaethje or Poirier.

The same way it should have been Izzy vs DDP instead of going through Whittaker.

Keep champions active if they’re willing to be.

4 Likes

They gotta wait till Abu Dhabi because no one else in the world gives af about this boring ass blanket.

6 Likes

Islam’s last two title fights were both huge successes. He has finished a lot of UFC fighters in exciting fights such as Oliveira, Green, Hooker, Moises, Dober and Tibau and his UDs over Volk and Tsarukyan were FOTN.

He generates a lot of fan interest and his fights have been exciting so its truly hilarious when UGers cry about him being boring because they don’t personally like him since they associate him with Khabib.

5 Likes

Islam is a great fighter. Def isn’t boring

2 Likes

Nobody’s saying his fights are boring, he’s boring as a person. I can’t think of a single Islam quote, and neither can you.

3 Likes

^ Literally two posts below your first one somebody called him boring. As for quotes, off the top of your head…. Can you think of a single Poirier or Gaethje quote?

“Buy my generic hot sauce!”

• Dustin

“The moon is made of cheese!”

• Justin
1 Like

People need to memorize quotes now to appreciate skilled and exciting fighters? UGers have said he is “lay and pray” and “a blanket” forever and its just not true.

Quotes, you want an Islam quote, ok, here ya go…

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the octagon, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

-Islam Makhachev

1 Like

It makes sense if the UFC is locked on having him fight in the Middle East card.

All Islam will be remembered for once he retires is that retard face he made cageside

2 Likes

This sounds like something an idiot mother would post on Instagram or TikTok saying her 2 year old child said it.

“Guys, little Potato is SO smart. I was feeling down about some criticism and she could tell so she sat me down and said this. # love”

:rofl:

1 Like

You clearly have not been paying attention. I believe some of Islam’s more memorable quotes are…

“Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical.”

“That’s one small step for a man, a giant leap for mankind.”

“We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.”

“Keep my wife’s name… Out… Yo… Fuckin… Mouf!”

Islam is indeed a fighter and a prophet. A warrior and a poet. A grappler and an orator. A man of many hats… and it’s time you put some respect on his name!

3 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

Lol!!

1 Like

I stand by my comments about him being boring.

He’s only been exciting twice and that was in the Charles fight because Charles went full retard and flying kneed the air for no reason and got caught.

Second one was the Volk fight which Volk made exciting by stuffing takedowns and getting back to his feet.

He will always be remembered for being a weight bully who never fought anyone his own size and cheated with IVs to gove himself massove advantages over his opponent. And being gifted a decision against Volk.

3 Likes