It's too late to be suddenly scandalized

I guess now is the time we’re supposed to be scandalized. Now, after the UFC’s golden child has been stopped for the third time in the past two years, we’re supposed to want fair play, class, and justice for crimes committed by those who have humbled him.

That’s what UFC president Dana White has been suggesting in the immediate aftermath of UFC 229’s post-fight riot in Las Vegas’s T-Mobile Arena. Dana White can only imagine how harshly Nevada’s state athletic commission will come down on Khabib Nurmagomedov for jumping the Octagon fence after submitting McGregor and tussling with one of his training partners.

The commission is so far refusing to pay Nurmagomedov, White says, and teammates of his have been arrested, while McGregor’s purse is still being paid, and doesn’t that all sound correct and fitting, and fair?

Oh, and by the way, the Nevada commission completed an in-depth forensic video investigation of the tumult within minutes and in time (whew!) for White’s post-event press conference and White wants us to know that, speaking for the commission purported to regulate him and his promotion, they saw nothing wrong with McGregor’s actions after the bout, never mind the Irishman’s own attempts at scaling the cage fence and punching (first) at least one of Nurmagomedov’s teammates.

Now is the time we all are to solemnly reflect on the sport of MMA being disgraced by raucous extracurricular action. There was no time for that before, of course, as the UFC glamorized and exploited McGregor’s own at times criminal action in order to uncritically create a toxic environment and facilitate a volatile culture.

I can’t say that Nurmagomedov and some of his teammates don’t deserve serious suspensions and fines from Nevada and the UFC. Unfortunately, both regulators and the promotion have positioned themselves in recent months and years in such a way that they’ll be hypocritical and unduly discriminatory if they do so, here with the crew from Dagestan, when they haven’t in so many other similar If not mirror-exact situations with other fighters, specifically Conor McGregor.

Collective and selective amnesia usually suits those in power quite well, while leaving the rest of us in a state of emotional manipulability fueled by pseudo-events and “official” accounts meant to distract from structural flaws. As the sports world is in a tizzy I’m not interested in criticizing Nurmagomedov and his team’s post-fight actions outside of the context of the table the UFC, athletic commissions, and Conor McGregor and his team themselves set long ago.

In rightfully criticizing Nurmagomedov for getting crowds of fans involved in a fracas and calling for his punishment, how could I responsibly forget McGregor hurling hard, dangerous objects into a press conference crowd of fans towards the general direction of teammates of a rival, starting a mini-riot and subsequently getting no serious sanction from the UFC?

In justifiably condemning Nurmagomedov for leaping over the UFC cage and into the crowd to scuffle with Team McGregor, how could I in good conscience forget being in the arena as McGregor did the same thing a few years ago - jumping over the cage after beating Dennis Siver, charging through and leaping on top of innocent fans, ranting and raving to confront Jose Aldo before being caught by security and receiving no punishment from state regulators or the UFC for the offense?

That night’s Boston Garden security did a much better job than Vegas’ this past weekend, and if not for Aldo keeping his cool and letting them do their jobs, the people between McGregor and Aldo (including a least one little girl) very well could have ended up accidentally injured, caught up in a brawl caused by the brash contender.

How could I agree with some of Nurmagomedov’s teammates being arrested and listen to White wonder if any of them will ever get a visa or fight in the U.S. again last Saturday without at least taking time to reflect on McGregor flying to the States recently and assaulting multiple UFC fighters with potentially deadly items on the eve of their fights, forcing several of them to miss their bouts and paydays, endangering the career of at least one of them (Ray Borg), and giving strawweight champion Rose Namajunas what sounds a whole lot like undiagnosed PTSD?

The consequences for McGregor? A criminal plea deal, no apparent extra difficulty securing visas, no suspension or fines from the UFC or state regulators after his criminal conviction, and a gigantic payday after the UFC celebrated his actions by replaying the scene ad-nauseam in their ads for UFC 229.

As recently as Friday at UFC 229 ceremonial weigh-ins, an unprovoked McGregor smacked Nurmagomedov with his hands and then attempted to kick him while being restrained, violating Nevada and UFC conduct rules once more. And no action taken against him by either body as far as has been announced.

This is, of course, all on top of McGregor’s years of bigoted statements on UFC stages against the likes of Nurmagomedov, Nate Diaz, and Jose Aldo, which he was not punished for by state commissions or the UFC. I refuse to criticize Nurmagomedov’s actions outside of that larger context.

I do lament Khabib Nurmagomedov stooping to a low level after his win over McGregor. In doing so it is also important to point out that the level he was stooping to was one long ago set and accepted by McGregor, the UFC, and state regulators like Nevada.

If Nurmagomedov and his team are punished, now, we have to ask why McGregor has not been seriously so for similar and worse actions that same week and before, and whether that is fair.

Larger problems were revealed Saturday night in Las Vegas than what most popular narratives out there right now may have us believe. Yes, Khabib Nurmagomedov was angry and acted angrily and crazed.

Yes, he’s Russian, and Muslim. Yes, Angry, Crazy, Russian, Muslim, are all terms that we’re trained in Western society to be particularly scared of, especially when they’re joined together as is so often and unfairly done.

If you look more closely at the situation, however, structural issues are revealed - A promotion and entire industry exploiting the ugliest types of tensions and violences and fostering an unhealthy culture, a promotion and entire captive industry speaking of and dealing with similar crimes far differently depending on the people who commit them.

Khabib Nurmagomedov looked bad after the final bell Saturday night, but the UFC and the sport’s regulators far more so.

About the author:

<em><a href="https://twitter.com/EliasCepeda" rel="noopener" target="_blank">Elias Cepeda</a>is a host of Sports Illustrated's&nbsp;<a href="https://twitter.com/extrarounds" rel="noopener noreferrer" target="_blank">Extra Rounds Podcast</a>, a staff writer at<a href="http://www.flocombat.com/" rel="noopener noreferrer" target="_blank">FloCombat</a>, and has a regular column for The UG Blog.</em></p>

Agreed 100%

Disagree with pretty much the entire article, especially the last sentence and the comparison to Conor jumping the cage to get in Aldo’s face.

Khabib looked WAY worse than the UFC after the fight. 

And Khabib exiting the cage and criminally attacking people not involved in the fight is, at best, a silly comparison to Conor’s Aldo moment. 

Khabib should be stripped and fired. Sucks too, I would have loved to see if he could have put his trademark mauling on Ferguson. We may never find out...

You would have to go through serious amounts of mental gymnastics to not agree 100 percent with this. 

ChristopherMoltisanti -

Disagree with pretty much the entire article, especially the last sentence and the comparison to Conor jumping the cage to get in Aldo’s face.

And Khabib exiting the cage and criminally attacking people not involved in the fight is, at best, a silly comparison to Conor’s Aldo moment. 

Khabib should be stripped and fired. Sucks too, I would have loved to see if he could have put his trademark mauling on Ferguson. We may never find out...

Don’t worry, they’re not gonna fire him.  You thinking that is simply stupid. 

ChristopherMoltisanti -

what about the fact connor tried to jump out of the cage and threw the first sucker punch to a guy that wasnt even looking at him? Should that be punished??

TheGrandConjuration -
ChristopherMoltisanti -

what about the fact connor tried to jump out of the cage and threw the first sucker punch to a guy that wasnt even looking at him? Should that be punished??

That guy wasnt jumping over the cage to shake hands with people. 

Very well said, 100% agree.

JonnyW -
TheGrandConjuration -
ChristopherMoltisanti -

That guy wasnt jumping over the cage to shake hands with people. 

No he wasnt at all, and totally in the wrong, and should get punished. What I was saying is connor is JUST as wrong. He also tried to leave the cage, he also suckered someone. Yet you mcnuthuggers are just to busy thinking about your hero then to see what is right infront of you. In my opinion if khabibs purse is going to get held so should connors. IF khabib gets suspended, connor should get the same amount of time. Khabibs corner men ( especially red shirt guy ) And danis should get fines and suspensions to if khabib and connor do. IF anything other then this happens, and only khabib and his corner get punished, then it is 100% clear to me that the NSAC is even more scumbag then I initially thought.

TheGrandConjuration -
ChristopherMoltisanti -

Khabib had already jumped into the crowd and attacked Dillon at that point.. it looked like Khabibs corner man was going to join the fracas when Conor swung at him on the cage.

xfbdmf -
TheGrandConjuration -
ChristopherMoltisanti -

Khabib had already jumped into the crowd and attacked Dillon at that point.. it looked like Khabibs corner man was going to join the fracas when Conor swung at him on the cage.

ok so because khabib already did it it makes it ok for connor to? So he is in the right for doing the exact same thing because a guy did it first? And yes it did look like he was going to join, does that excuse a sucker to the face of someone not looking? Great logic.

Conor jumping out to get to Aldo isn't close to the same. 

Of all the bad blood feuds, how many ended with the winner of the fight jumping out of the cage to start more fights? Even after Conor fought Nate, they were ok. 

Why does this article act like pre fight shit talk is a new thing? How many people, post fight, win or lose, has Conor talked bad about? He shit talks, they fight and make money, then it's over.

But I do like the article blaming everyone and everything else for Khabib jumping out of the cage like a dummy.

good post

Good article

We overlooking the time Conor ran into the cage at Bellator too?

Can't disagree, sadly, McGregor has been getting away with murder for years now.

xfbdmf -
TheGrandConjuration -
ChristopherMoltisanti -

This. And lol at elias saying its our islamophobia in the reactions. Just wow... also the third time? 

On point.. great write up Elias. Dana so quick to condemn Khabib, but when it was Conor McGregor acting like a thug he had shit all to say. The hypocrite even used it as promotional material..smh. Allowed McGregor to cross the lines with Aldo without any repercussions or warnings, cut open fighters and attack a bus, yet here they are bitching about a couple punches being thrown? When it’s their golden egg being bullied it’s suddenly a problem? Conor took part in the melee too, he’s not innocent. He punched one of the dudes first, and when the guy in the red shirt hit him, it was in response to an attack that McGregor had already made. Fuck the double standard. UFC is corrupt af! Dana is a bitch for the way he handled that.. didn’t even let Khabib leave the arena with the strap he had EARNED! If the roles were flipped, and Conor had won the fight, I can guarantee without a doubt that Conor would have been belted and had an interview regardless of the situation. Fuck the UFC for being a corrupt league. They are not a fair organization, it has become the Conor show with management not even hiding their bias for the leprechaun. 

Well done OP!

Basically 100 % accurate.